Say something negative about the Milennium Series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Say something negative about the Milennium Series

Post by JAGzilla »

I felt like GXM was perfectly at home in the Millennium series considering its shared characteristics with G2K and the Kiryu duology. If anything sort of feels like an outlier for the series, it'd be GMK.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

I'm less upset over Godzilla being a punching bag in the Kiryu films, which he really wasn't. In fact, he's actually really tough (which is probably just more because Kiryu is absolutely pathetic).

My issue comes from the fact that he has absolutely no character or personality. He's just a plot device in those films. He doesn't feel like a character. He just seems like a generic "destroy everything" kaiju with no real motivation or character traits outside of aggression. It would have made the Kiryu films so much better if Godzilla could have had some sort of familial relationship with the original Godzilla (his "father," essentially). That way he could have been vengeful that the humans made his family into an abomination against nature, and it could have made the conflict between Godzilla and Kiryu much more emotionally investing.

I find it ironic that, out of the two, it's the robot who has all of the emotion and personality.

The Showa and Heisei eras had much better dynamics between the two, because Godzilla was the sympathetic creature.

In the Showa era, it was the heroic, almost human-like Godzilla against the malicious Mechagodzilla.
In the Heisei era, it was the destructive, but still sympathetic and emotive anti-hero Godzilla against the cold, emotionless Mechagodzilla.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Gojirawars 03 wrote: I find it ironic that, out of the two, it's the robot who has all of the emotion and personality
I definitely disagree with this. I find Kiryu lacking any emotion and personality, and 2002 Godzilla to be quite emotionally expressive.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote: I find it ironic that, out of the two, it's the robot who has all of the emotion and personality
I definitely disagree with this. I find Kiryu lacking any emotion and personality, and 2002 Godzilla to be quite emotionally expressive.
The dialogue tells is Kiryu is thinking and feeling things, but the action on-screen doesn't really convey it to me.

I don't find that incarnation of Godzilla especially expressive, either, though.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
The dialogue tells is Kiryu is thinking and feeling things, but the action on-screen doesn't really convey it to me.

I don't find that incarnation of Godzilla especially expressive, either, though.
The only moment we get an idea that Kiryu is thinking, is the somewhat effective big zoom into him where we get some memories. Kiryu in concept is cool, but he has one of the lamest utilizations of an otherwise really unique plot.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

The only moment we get an idea that Kiryu is thinking, is the somewhat effective big zoom into him where we get some memories. Kiryu in concept is cool, but he has one of the lamest utilizations of an otherwise really unique plot.
True. I find that Kiryu isn't really super emotional. But considering that this Godzilla is as blank as copy paper, anything would be considered more emotional than him.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

The UFO in Godzilla 2000 looks like a bicycle seat spray-painted chrome. Oh, and that CGI of Godzilla swimming is godawful.

I won't say anything negative about Megaguirus because I like that movie and everyone else hates on it more than enough.

CGI King Ghidorah flying in GMK is pretty cringeworthy too. Literally my only complaint with that movie.

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla is a really boring, formulaic movie. The first confrontation between Godzilla and Kiryu is just stupid. Why does Godzilla turn tail and run instead of fighting back? Totally out of character.

Tokyo SOS is one of the worst movie in the series, and probably the most derivative and most forgettable. It literally steals a scene from GMK (Mothra flying over a building full of soldiers, which Godzilla nukes), a movie that came out TWO YEARS PREVIOUSLY! The final battle is long and boring. The soundtrack is tedious.

Oh God(zilla), Final Wars. Minilla's role in the movie is pointless and annoying. King Caesar looks horrible and the Anguirus soccer scene is pure cringe straight out of a bad fan fic. Hedorah's short and degrading role in the movie really pissed me off. The New York scene is just painful to watch. Same for the kid throwing toys around. All of the Matrix rip-offs get old damn quick. "X" is probably the most over-the-top bad guy I've ever seen in a movie.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Most of the CGI in the Millennium series is downright awful.

The CGI UFO in Godzilla 2000, the CGI Ghidorah from GMK, Manda from FW, and pretty much any shot of Godzilla under water...all horrible.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

1. Kiryu is too unreliable and not aggressive enough. Considering how he's the '54 Godzilla resurrected, I'm amazed that he didn't fully break free, unite with his brother, and try and destroy Japan again. He just comes across as too...emo. For the lack of a better word.

2. Tokyo SOS is just a bad remake of Mothra vs. Godzilla with Kiryu thrown in there.

3. Final Wars should have been much better.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It doesn't really have a clear identity or enough variety to consider it a more experimental era. The Showa Era thrived in its variety which gave it this overall motif of trying new things and transforming the character of Godzilla over a period of fifteen films. The Heisei series, film quality aside, had a continuity that it adhered to while reimagining classic characters.

But the Millenium series is probably the most splintered and unfocused of the original three eras. It doesn't really have its own identity and as some have pointed out in other posts, feels like an extension of the Heisei series in terms of production.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

King Caesar's Final Wars design is trash. Orga is a good kaiju but he barely has any time to do much of anything. Anguirus snout is too small in FW,and the constant reusal of a new story in every movie only with the 54 film existing is annoying.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Something negative?
It had too less movies...
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

Negative? Kiryugoji was just weak.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

they should of just done a continuation of godzilla 2000 rather than make separate movies in their own continuity's, though then again we wouldnt have gmk if that was the case

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

realinvaderdesign wrote:they should of just done a continuation of godzilla 2000 rather than make separate movies in their own continuity's, though then again we wouldnt have gmk if that was the case

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

realinvaderdesign wrote:they should of just done a continuation of Godzilla 2000 rather than make separate movies in their own continuity's, though then again we wouldn't have GMK if that was the case
Godzilla x Megaguirus not being the sequel to G2K despite using almost the exact same design is supremely bad decision making.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote:
realinvaderdesign wrote:they should of just done a continuation of Godzilla 2000 rather than make separate movies in their own continuity's, though then again we wouldn't have GMK if that was the case
Godzilla x Megaguirus not being the sequel to G2K despite using almost the exact same design is supremely bad decision making.
It is? :|
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

bit of an exaggeration but you get the point.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Actually I guess I don't. What was the bad decision: not making GXM a sequel to G2K, reusing the previous film's Godzilla costume (despite not being a sequel), or both?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Tokyo S.O.S is the literal worst Godzilla movie that's not the 1998 film. It's wonderful effects are it's only saving grace.

RIP Evan.