Final Wars: Why The Hate?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Final Wars: Why The Hate?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The New York scene definitely falls on a really precarious ledge of portraying racial stereotypes, especially in the context of a Japanese film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Eh, Final Wars is a so-so movie for me. Some redesigns are pretty good (Hedorah, Gigan, Minilla) others are meh (Ebirah, Rodan, Kamacuras) and others are downright ugly (King Caesar, Anguirus), all the fights (minus the showdown against Monster X/Keizer) are awfully rushed to the point you blink and you'll miss them, and with the sole exception of Gordon, every non-Japanese character is portrayed in a cringeworthy way. The narm is strong with this one. Yet, the kaiju cast is huge, the soundtrack is descent and Captain Gordon kicks ass.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Don Fry is one of the worst actors in GFW, he speaks with a slur and his acting is so piss poor it's unreal
Last edited by Orichalcum on Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Orichalcum wrote:Don Fry is one of the worst actors in GFW, he speaks with a slur and his acting is so piss poor it's unreal
I wouldn't be surprised if that's due to him not being an actor, and also the fact that he doesn't speak Japanese. I feel like he was supposed to go for the more goofy kind of way that the Xillien leader was supposed to, but due to the language barrier couldn't. That, or he was just drunk off of Strong Zero and wanted his paycheck. :P
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ultimategodzilla2054
Yojimbo

Post by Ultimategodzilla2054 »

Orichalcum wrote:Don Fry is one of the worst actors in GFW, he speaks with a slur and his acting is so piss poor it's unreal
I dunno man, I thought he actually did pretty good for what his role was. Believe me, I'm not saying it's an Oscar worthy performance, but it's a lot better than some of the other american actors in Japanese monster movies have done, and at least it was entertaining.
You fool, I'm no mere super godzilla. I'm a godzilla that has ascended past that form
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ultimategodzilla2054 wrote:
I dunno man, I thought he actually did pretty good for what his role was. Believe me, I'm not saying it's an Oscar worthy performance, but it's a lot better than some of the other american actors in Japanese monster movies have done, and at least it was entertaining.
So he's good because he wasn't absolute dog crap? lol

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Ultimategodzilla2054 wrote:
Are you not happy with Raymond Burr and Nick Adams? WTF.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ultraman02 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Ultimategodzilla2054 wrote: I dunno man, I thought he actually did pretty good for what his role was. Believe me, I'm not saying it's an Oscar worthy performance, but it's a lot better than some of the other american actors in Japanese monster movies have done, and at least it was entertaining.
I assumed he was referring to the actors, who were basically hired because they were white to play "foreigners" in some of the films. See the Submarine Crew in KKVG, and the people in 89 and 91.

Nick Adams and Raymond Burr are actually actors and do a good job so they obviously are exempt from what I said.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Ultraman02 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: So he's good because he wasn't absolute dog crap? lol
I assumed he was referring to the actors, who were basically hired because they were white to play "foreigners" in some of the films. See the Submarine Crew in KKVG, and the people in 89 and 91.
But Don Frye was a side character, right? Not a background character.
Plus, I remember him being pretty Badass in the movie.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ultraman02 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Ultraman02 wrote: Are you not happy with Raymond Burr and Nick Adams? WTF.
But Don Frye was a side character, right? Not a background character.
Plus, I remember him being pretty Badass in the movie.
What are we arguing over?

He said that Don Frye was better then most American actors in Japanese films. I said that wasn't a hard standard and provided examples...

Ultimategodzilla2054
Yojimbo

Post by Ultimategodzilla2054 »

Ultraman02 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Ultimategodzilla2054 wrote: I dunno man, I thought he actually did pretty good for what his role was. Believe me, I'm not saying it's an Oscar worthy performance, but it's a lot better than some of the other american actors in Japanese monster movies have done, and at least it was entertaining.
I never called out those movies specifically. I'm mostly refering to to other movies with american actors, like the japanese version of the first gamera film or a few scenes in shin godzilla. plus Raymond burr, while he did give a good performance, doesn't really count as he wasn't in the original japanese version, and thus didn't have to act solely with other japanese people because of the americanized version.

Added in 53 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Ultraman02 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: So he's good because he wasn't absolute dog crap? lol

Nick Adams and Raymond Burr are actually actors and do a good job so they obviously are exempt from what I said.
yeah that
You fool, I'm no mere super godzilla. I'm a godzilla that has ascended past that form
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

While Nick Adams in Invasion of the Astro Monster is still my hands down run away favorite American Actor in a Godzilla film. I enjoy Don Frye's performance in Final Wars, and is one of the major reasons I enjoy the film.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Personally, I liked this film. I always thought of it as the Destroy All Monsters of the 21st century, due to the fact that it had so many kaiju in it (especially if you count the ones in the opening sequence, which I do).

One thing that I especially liked about it was the way that Minilla was the right size this time in relation to Godzilla. The 1960s Minilla just didn't cut it (mainly because, possibly, they either didn't think of it at the time or couldn't do it at the time, I don't know which).

Just once, I'd like to see Minilla hatch from an egg (again, of the right size), grow up normally and finally become a second Godzilla, like Baby Godzilla/Little Godzilla/Godzilla Junior/Godzilla II kinda/sorta did in the Heisei series.

Oh well, there's always IDW (that is, if they succeeded in actually getting the rights to (hopefully the 2004) Minilla like they tried to do before (I think) and actually continue their mainstream Godzilla storyline from where they left off the last time with Godzilla: Rulers of Earth).
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

mikelcho wrote: Just once, I'd like to see Minilla hatch from an egg (again, of the right size), grow up normally and finally become a second Godzilla, like Baby Godzilla/Little Godzilla/Godzilla Junior/Godzilla II kinda/sorta did in the Heisei series.
One of my silly Headcanon things from my youth was that the Godzilla in Destroy All Monsters is actually an all grown up Minilla, and the Minilla is another son. I mean if that's not the case, then Minilla went through a 30 year time jump and never grew up.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:The New York scene definitely falls on a really precarious ledge of portraying racial stereotypes, especially in the context of a Japanese film.
That scene serves as a microcosm of everything that is good about the movie and everything that is bad about it.

The Rodan stuff? Awesome. He looks dangerous and imposing and the attack on New York looks like hell was unleashed.

The pimp, cop, and drunk? Yeeeeeeeeah. Went a little too far.
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GojiDog wrote:I mean if that's not the case, then Minilla went through a 30 year time jump and never grew up.
We have no frame of reference for the Godzilla lifespan, at least in the Showa era. For all we know, the juvenile stage lasts 30 years or longer.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
LOL, holy shit, this legit made me laugh out loud. Mind if I put this in my sig?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Go for it.

GojiraXDAN
Samurai

Post by GojiraXDAN »

Well, I've always enjoyed this film warts and all. That and I'm also a fan of its director and his other films (Verus, Azumi, Midnight Meat Train) so being both a fan of his other works and Godzilla I can dig this. And I feel like its just one big party/celebration of the genre, is it batshit crazy and cheezy? Absolutely, but I can watch it anytime and be entertained. No, it's not one of the more serious films that have a profound message attached with it but its a nice throwback to the mid to late '60s and 70's Flicks and I love it. That and it brings back lots of monsters from the Showa era that hadn't been seen since that era so I appreciate that even if most of them are only on screen for super-brief periods of time. I mean Destroy All Monsters had little screentime for most of its monsters.
My Youtube! Go Check out some of my GMVS and AMVS!: http://www.youtube.com/user/thejoker9998?feature=mhee

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I'm more middle of the road with this one.

But it is a weird case where the fans that love it, I totally get why, and the people that hate it, I totally get why. And maybe that's why I am more in the middle because I can appreciate the effort and the craziness of it while still letting the faults drag it down a couple of notches.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I think I'm middlish too. It's more 'why the dislike?' for me. Like I love the zany and wildness...just hate SOME of the humor and waaaaay too much reliance on boring human fighting I like Gordon though. I WANT TO LOVE the movie but I can't for that last damn quarter or so with a few insults here and there.