Talkback: Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

Post by Zasraniec »

I am not a big fan of this movie. Personally I think the Millennium series should bet getting the flak the Heisei series gets here with the kiryu films being the case in point. I thought the prequel was better because Kiryu felt more like a character. Here they pretty much ignored the fact the cyborg could rebel until it just happens again in the ending. Why doesn't Kiryu act aggressively this time and why would he save the pilot??? That just doesn't feel like something 54 Goji would do. Even worse is there is zero explanation in all of this. In fact I think the ending is the worst part. Not only just the reawakened Kiryu acting very unGodzillalike, but it is very vague with the ending. What about Godzilla??? I know if you watch the credits it hints he survives but it doesn't feel conclusive. I was hoping for something like the end of GvKG where Godzilla is shown rising in anger because there was no doubt on his condition. He was gonna return no matter what! Plus the post credits scene is a massive letdown. The scene itself is cool, but it is the lack of doing anything with it that I don't like. It is such a cliffhanger. The Mothra scenes just feel shoehorned in. I know they established her in the prequel and all but it just felt like a remake of Godzilla vs Mothra. I don't mind remakes but it just felt lazy for me and out of place for Mothra to suddenly give a damn about things.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Zasraniec wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:21 pm I thought the prequel was better because Kiryu felt more like a character. Here they pretty much ignored the fact the cyborg could rebel until it just happens again in the ending. Why doesn't Kiryu act aggressively this time and why would he save the pilot??? That just doesn't feel like something 54 Goji would do. Even worse is there is zero explanation in all of this. In fact I think the ending is the worst part. Not only just the reawakened Kiryu acting very unGodzillalike
I think Kiryu acted that way because he isn't Godzilla 54 but a whole new being created from G54 by humanity.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

That's definitely possible. Has the director ever said anything about that subject? For both SOS and it's prequel?

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

This honestly may very well be my favorite Millennium film. Such a fun movie to watch. And what is weird is that Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla is one of my least favorites. I think I like this one more because it has much more action.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

Big Action Bill just uploaded a new History of video about Tokyo S.O.S.!

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Just watched this movie... again. They did an incredible job at model buildings and this movie has the best destruction scenes since suitmation was invented. Another big plus is Hiroshi Koizumi slipping in his role from 1961 again. Too bad the movie has a weak story at all but the kaiju action is great. Special effects work was at it`s limit at that time. Meanwhile Tokyo SOS is a classic becoming 20 years old next year. So yes, there is still love for this movie. I have to praise the work of director Tezuka Mazaaki and again: Michiru Oshima for delivering a more emotional soundtrack for Tokyo SOS.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I am curious as to why Toho actually decided to make this film a direct sequel to the last right out of the blue. That is instead of yet another reboot. Anyone care to guess why?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:03 pm I am curious as to why Toho actually decided to make this film a direct sequel to the last right out of the blue. That is instead of yet another reboot. Anyone care to guess why?
Beginning at 16:55.

But for those that don't want to or can't watch -- Shogo Tomiyama presented Masaaki Tezuka with three or four story treatments, and Tezuka was to choose which one he wanted to direct. He didn't like any of them, however, and asked Tomiyama to allow him to develop a story himself (which turned out to be Tokyo SOS).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:32 am
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:03 pm I am curious as to why Toho actually decided to make this film a direct sequel to the last right out of the blue. That is instead of yet another reboot. Anyone care to guess why?

But for those that don't want to or can't watch -- Shogo Tomiyama presented Masaaki Tezuka with three or four story treatments, and Tezuka was to choose which one he wanted to direct. He didn't like any of them, however, and asked Tomiyama to allow him to develop a story himself (which turned out to be Tokyo SOS).
I wonder what those treatments were.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I have a question, why did Toho decide to keep rebooting things in this era in general? When Godzilla vs. Biollante returned with disappointing box office returns imagine if they went "alright fuck it let's start over guys this isn't working"

I for one liked we got a sequel to one of these films for a change.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:11 am
Terasawa wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:32 am

I wonder what those treatments were.
I'm sure whatever they were we need entries on the main site about them and at least 16 threads here STAT.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:32 am I have a question, why did Toho decide to keep rebooting things in this era in general? When Godzilla vs. Biollante returned with disappointing box office returns imagine if they went "alright fuck it let's start over guys this isn't working"
That was the concept from the series' inception, i.e. to do multiple separate takes, so the decision to go back to the drawing board didn't begin when one film disappointed at the box office. Why this approach instead of that of a more traditional film series, I don't know.

IIRC, the plan was to do three films, which itself barely happened. G2k wasn't a sterling success, GxM was a huge disappointment, and Shogo Tomiyama was allegedly pressured to put an end to the Godzilla films. Furthermore, every Toho monster film since 1991 had been released with a trailer for the next film after the credits; GxM didn't, even though Tomiyama and Kaneko were tentatively planning the next film at that time. 2001 was also the first year since the 1980s that a monster/Godzilla film wasn't initially included on the year's release calendar. When GMK finally was given the green light, it was only after Tomiyama had made concessions to his bosses -- namely, to use popular monsters and to release the film alongside a Hamtarou film. GMK was very successful and it truly saved the Godzilla series. GxMG and Tokyo SOS were produced the same way (popular monsters and Hamtarou -- the runtime of these movies was even greatly abbreviated to better accommodate the Hamtarou films), even though neither was a hit. (And actually, SOS was a total dud.) If I'm reading the Japanese Wikipedia correctly, the staff of SOS anticipated that it would be the last Godzilla film; that they even got one more after it is probably a miracle.

And anyway, when Biollante underperformed, they *did* rework their plans and abandon the more-involved "cinematic universe" they'd planned. In contrast, Tomiyama stuck to his original concept despite the Millennium Series facing even longer odds of success.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:21 amgreatly abbreviated to better accommodate the Hamtarou films), even though neither was a hit. (And actually, SOS was a total dud.) If I'm reading the Japanese Wikipedia correctly, the staff of SOS anticipated that it would be the last Godzilla film; that they even got one more after it is probably a miracle.
Let alone be able to get a bigger budget, do overseas filming, get American actors and even a rather successful band and the guy who did the opening credits for Spider-man that was Final Wars.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

It's funny to think of Final Wars as a miracle given what most fans tend to think of it. SOS is right on the bottom of the pile for me as a whole, though the FX scenes hold up as some of the best tokusatsu magic in the series imo. You can tell a lot of love went into it.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

And interesting how GMK simply would NOT have even been made if Toho didn't insist on Mothra and King Ghidorah.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:34 pm
Terasawa wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:21 amgreatly abbreviated to better accommodate the Hamtarou films), even though neither was a hit. (And actually, SOS was a total dud.) If I'm reading the Japanese Wikipedia correctly, the staff of SOS anticipated that it would be the last Godzilla film; that they even got one more after it is probably a miracle.
Let alone be able to get a bigger budget, do overseas filming, get American actors and even a rather successful band and the guy who did the opening credits for Spider-man that was Final Wars.
Good points, although I wouldn't call Don Frye an actor.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The appeal of the 50th Anniversary, the allure of the "FINAL" Godzilla film, and the idea hiring of some international talent for worldwide marketing was probably too good for Toho to pass up.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:59 pm
Whaaaaaaaat

He is the best actor to ever appear in the franchise!

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:11 pm

Whaaaaaaaat

You people can mock him all you want, but Gordon is unironically one of my fav Godzilla characters and I found Frye a bit charming lol

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

godjacob wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:13 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:11 pm

Whaaaaaaaat

You people can mock him all you want, but Gordon is unironically one of my fav Godzilla characters and I found Frye a bit charming lol
Lol. No joke, I LOVE Gordon too.

Quote of the Year: