Talkback: Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

KillCrites wrote:Was it ever confirmed what was going on in the post credits scene in this movie anywhere?
It showed the DNA canisters of several kaiju. One of which was of Godzilla's, showing that humanity may never learn from past mistakes.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I just wish we got to read what kaiju DNA they had in those canisters, guessing Kamoebas is a given :P
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri May 25, 2018 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I like we don't know what DNA was kept there. It made a good opening for future plots, if Toho had pursued that route.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

edgaguirus wrote:I like we don't know what DNA was kept there. It made a good opening for future plots, if Toho had pursued that route.
Well

I guess them…
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue May 29, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:I like we don't know what DNA was kept there. It made a good opening for future plots, if Toho had pursued that route.
Well

<tiny image that actually gets SMALLER when opening in new tab>

I guess them…
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

:lol: I don’t know why it shrunk so much when I uploaded it here, but just google what monsters are in Tokyo SoS’s continuity and you should be able to bring it up.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed May 30, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Two Words...

Lost Potential.

The kaiju stuff is SO good...but the "new" human
characters are kind of lame. Shame they didn't keep
Akane as the lead & actually develop her in this film.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Grievous wrote:Two Words...

Lost Potential.
I agree with this, but for different reasons. This movie felt too much like a modernized version of Godzilla vs. Mothra, only with Kiryu thrown in. I kind of wish that Kiryu had gone rouge and joined Godzilla in destroying whatever Japanese city as punishment for man bringing him back to life as a puppet. That and Kiryu should have had his armor upgraded.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Better than xMechagodzilla. Third best of the mellenium series, after G2K and GMK.

Genuinely a good Godzilla movie. 8-)
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Better than xMechagodzilla.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Dr. Professor wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Better than xMechagodzilla.
Justin Roiland can scream himself hoarse, doesn't stop me from being right. ;)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

There's no way I can ever look at this film and think it's better than GXMG, even if the latter isn't even that good.

This film has zero character, has zero interesting story threads and pacing slower than development on the new Gamera movie. It's only real saving grace is the special effects scenes and even then they're just slightly good at best.

Akane may have had no development, but she was at least much more memorable than anyone else in this film.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

UltramanGoji wrote:There's no way I can ever look at this film and think it's better than GXMG, even if the latter isn't even that good.

This film has zero character, has zero interesting story threads and pacing slower than development on the new Gamera movie. It's only real saving grace is the special effects scenes and even then they're just slightly good at best.

Akane may have had no development, but she was at least much more memorable than anyone else in this film.
That's just it though. Both movies, IMO, have really weak human components. A lot of people seem to love Akane, but to me she's really meh. Pretty bland. I actually kinda like the lead in SOS, because he's just so upbeat and enthusiastic about his job, which at the very least gives him a bit of colour.

Meanwhile I find the kaiju action, apart from the opening, to be really boring in GxMG. I've never really liked Kiryu at all, he's kinda lame compared to the previous MGs, and it just all seems so routine. But the entire second half of SOS is just so much fun when you throw in Mothra and the larva, makes things feel a lot more dynamic.

Also best Mothra design ever.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

GxMG & SOS are meant to be one continual story...but they don't feel like one.

The flaws in GxMG COULD have been fixed by developing certain characters
& explaining certain kaiju motives in the sequel...

But they didn't do that.

They introduce a bunch of new (& old) characters & the human elements of
GxMG are basically made pointless.

You can introduce the Mothra element but keep Akane as the central figure
of the film & actually develop her as a character this time. Have the Shobijin
visit Akane & explain the situation only for her to reject their advice &
threatens them that if Mothra moves against Japan...she will face Kiryu in
battle...and she as the pilot will show no mercy. The Shobijin warn that it
doesn't matter...that the "Bones" in Kiryu will continue to draw other kaiju
to attack Japan...with Akane snapping sating she'll kill every single one of
them.

Then have Godzilla arrive to "retrieve the bones" & the battle resumes with
Akane piloting Kiryu from a new cockpit mounted in the head of the cyborg.

Mothra arrives & at first appears to be just an observer before finally moving
to help Akane/Kiryu after Godzilla seemingly "snaps" & goes into a frenzy/berserk
like state, focusing more on attacking & destroying Japan as a country rather than
Kiryu.

As the battle rages on some of Kiryu's armor begins to break away showing
flesh & skin regenerating underneath from the original bones while the process
is also shown happening in the cockpit, Akane being surrounded by a strange blend
of flesh & computers.

Mothra is killed by Godzilla only for her "Children" to arrive & continue the fight
as Akane begins to realize that if she continues to fight she will soon be consumed
by the regenerating flesh inside Kiryu...and only then does she finally realize that she
has already been consumed by her own drive for revenge...and she needs to stop.

With tears in her eyes she activates the drill hand & "forces" Kiryu to severely
maim his "brother" who roars in pain before collapsing to the ground, allowing
the larvae to perform their "bag & tag" trick.

The Shobijin show Akane how to escape the still regenerating Kiryu & once she
is clear...the cyborg goes "berserk" itself, roaring & tearing more armor off
its own body. Kiryu then picks up his defeated "Brother" & quickly carries him to
the nearest coastline where both kaiju plunge into the ocean & return the depths,
never to be seen in this timeline again.

And I'm done.

Ugh...

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Grievous wrote:GxMG & SOS are meant to be one continual story...but they don't feel like one.

Ugh...
Because GXMG wasn't supposed to have a sequel.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Godzillian wrote:Because GXMG wasn't supposed to have a sequel.
Oh...

Well...they could have made a better effort when making one.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

The best thing about this flick was the effects. Miniatures were dope, CG was solid, and the suits were great.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

I don't particularly like either MG film, although I dislike this one more. Like its predecessor Godzilla doesn't seem to be the star yet his mechanical counterpart is. The movie is just too vague on some things. I can't tell of MG reawakens purely as Godzilla or some kind of unique entity of Godzilla's spirit combined with the system. Did Godzilla live? In the original version he is clearly depicted as growling as he descends with MG down the trench yet the "extinct" subject combined with Godzilla being unable to heal from the AZC makes him dying from his injuries sound plausible. I think to think he lives but the movie makes it unclear. I am wondering, has the director ever explained his intention on these events? This ties into Godzilla not feeling particularly threatening either. Sure Mothra was beaten without much trouble, but MG seemed to have the advantage in melee, with Godzilla only dominating when he got an atomic blast in or catching the pilots off-guard.

What happened to Godzilla being the ultimate threat to punish humanity? Here it seems like humanity got to punish Godzilla twice in a row. Godzilla just feels like less of a threat here. The ending I think is the gimmick to this movie because it is really all it has going for it because it is so vague and a lot can happen from it. I know to some that is a good thing but not for me, I like closure, or at least a strong implication to a certain direction similar to Shin Godzilla. The fact this is the only direct sequel in the Millennium series leads me to believe the established backstory of the other monsters and what not would be used as well and they are not. While the Millennium series isn't my favorite series, this film is the bottom of the abyss of that series.
Last edited by Omegazilla on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:The best thing about this flick was the effects. Miniatures were dope, CG was solid, and the suits were great.
And that Godzilla lost. Yes I'm counting that as a positive, especially since they don't foreshadow it like how all the ads for Godzilla vs Destroyer confirms he's gonna die, his defeat comes out of left field, Godzilla wins most times so you don't expect it.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

As bad as this movie was, it’s still leagues better than Against Mechagodzilla imo.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting