Talkback: Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Talkback: Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.

This movie, inspite of some flaws, is one of my favorites. Visually, this movie was awsome. Great monsters, good fights, questionable and different ending. What more could you want?
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

OptimusPrimevs.g
GPN Volunteer

Re: Tokyo S.O.S. Thead

Post by OptimusPrimevs.g »

I would have liked to see Godzilla attempting to try and get out of the coccoon he was webbed up in before his entire body was covered.
Do you really think I'm that stupid?!

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Godzilla just took the worst damage he's ever taken. After having a giant hole put in my abdomen I wouldn't have any fight left either! Atleast he stayed standing for the most part, no one else could do that.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

At least Oshima brought another excellent score. And the drill hand was pretty nifty. Everything else basically sucked. Kiryu wasn't nearly as dynamic before, the main dude was just an annoying tool, Chujo walks like Frankenstein. At least that one chick was hot.
bleep bloop

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I really enjoy this movie. Visually it's fantastic and it has some great action sequences. It also has an exellent score. As far as plot and originality, this film doesn't have a lot going for it. Overall, I like it. Despite it's flaws, it's a fun flick that I consider my second favorite Millennium movie.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I am overall mixed on this film. The special effects are fantastic, and the opening sequence is absolutely amazing, but overall its really dull and slow paced.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. sports probably the best example of special effects as far as the Godzilla Millennium series goes. I think the final battle is pretty nifty - even if a lot of the Godzilla and Mothra scenes are just ripped from the much superior Mothra vs. Godzilla. Mothra and Kiryu are, IMHO, the two best designs of those characters (even if I favor the GMK Mothra). And Oshima delivers another great musical score.

Unfortunately, just about everything else falls flat.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Probably the least interesting plot and characters in the entire Millennium series. But, some of the more interesting and entertaining fights in the series as well.

For that reason, Tokyo SOS is my second favorite Millennium film (next to GMK). It's plagued by the problems of the series (dull plot and characters), but makes up for it with its fight sequences.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I enjoyed it, it was fair improvement over GxMG and it's one of my favorite movies to feature Mothra.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:For that reason, Tokyo SOS is my second favorite Millennium film (next to GMK). It's plagued by the problems of the series (dull plot and characters), but makes up for it with its fight sequences.
I concur. Tokyo SOS is kind of like the Godzilla vs. Gigan of the Millennium series: plots not great, characters are cardboard, but man is there a huge fight that just goes on and on.

Its certainly no GMK, but of the Millennium movies its the one that I will turn to more often than the others. Also, I might be biased as this was the first Godzilla film that I had seen in a theater before on a TV... and seeing Kiryu toss Godzilla over his shoulder for the first time while an audience of Godzilla fans goes nuts can't be beat.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Arbok wrote:and seeing Kiryu toss Godzilla over his shoulder for the first time while an audience of Godzilla fans goes nuts can't be beat.
Um, it very much CAN be beat. By having that co-pilot chick show her goods. :P
bleep bloop

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

No mention of the hotass Shojibin? Those chicks can do pole-dances on my unit all day!
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:No mention of the hotass Shojibin? Those chicks can do pole-dances on my unit all day!
Akane was hotter...

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Arrow wrote:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:No mention of the hotass Shojibin? Those chicks can do pole-dances on my unit all day!
Akane was hotter...
Mothra was hotter...wait, wut?
bleep bloop

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

Arrow wrote:
Akane was hotter...
um....

...I love their voices...

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Arrow wrote:
Akane was hotter...
Too bad you don't see Akane in skimpy clothes.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:
Arrow wrote:
Akane was hotter...
Too bad you don't see Akane in skimpy clothes.
But I am sure you do in your Rainy Dreams...

Anyway...
Those Shobijin all always scantily clad in their movies. Except that horrid jump suit in Ebirah. Oh goodness.

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

I honestly don't care for this movie all that much. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just didn't do it for me. Maybe it's the pacing... I dunno. I have been meaning to re-watch it again however...
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

KaijuSapian wrote:I honestly don't care for this movie all that much. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just didn't do it for me. Maybe it's the pacing... I dunno. I have been meaning to re-watch it again however...
Its definitely the pacing. I feel that it drags a lot, but i also felt the same way about GxMG. I don't really like them that much. It just wasn't their great movies, but they could have been greatly improved. To me they were on the same level, and I don't really watch them that much because of the pacing. I tend to get bored. I love Mothra quite a lot, but i mean, I think the movie could have been a lot better. The other went quick, but i felt like SOS was LONG.

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

Something else which I feel was ruined in the Kiryu saga overall, was just how weak these Kaiju were. Most notably Kiryu, who had a two hour time limit.... I mean.... that just sort of ruined the action for me. I don't like thinking about how "Oh any second, Kiryu could run out of batteries" or something like that. Because of this, they had to reserve all of his cooler and more devastating attacks for dire situations, which in turn, caused them to make Godzilla weaker. I mean if he wasn't he would've just destroyed Kiryu. These movies could have been much better IMO if they had no bounds and just went wild, sort of like in GvMG2
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.