Millennium Godzilla film favorites from greatest to least!

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Re: Millennium Godzilla film favorites from greatest to leas

Post by Rodan »

Just properly finished GMK (had gotten about three-fourths of the way through when I wrote my last comment), and ... I think I might enjoy it more than vs. Megaguirus?

Jeez, I just don't know what to make of it. There's a section from about the beginning of Mothra's fight with Godzilla till very near the end of the film when everything is just clicking and really enjoyable. You can even forget about how much the beginning falters. And then the final moments crop up with their ending notes of guardian-monster salute and the reveal of ghost!old man, and I just get frustrated with it all over again.

Started Against Mechagodzilla now. Like Tezuka's last film, the opening ten minutes or so are deceptively strong. Maybe my strongly negative feelings toward this film will result in a rewatch that's pleasantly surprising? Who can say. As with many modern Godzilla films, though, I have to wonder what the hell he's stepping on that's so explosive in a rural village. Maybe the town was designed by Michael Bay. Maybe no one could figure out a creative or realistic way to imply damage in a long shot and they didn't want to invest that much in miniatures for close ones. These are the mysteries of our time.

Also, also, in a comment that really has nothing to do with the quality of this particular film, I hate f*cking Masers. Want to divest me immediately from what's happening in your otherwise realistic world? Sure, just throw a f*cking laser gun in. Make sure you're deadly serious about it though.

EDIT --

Just about done with it. This was definitely in the realm of "pleasant surprise," but it's still nowhere near a good film, or even a decent genre one. It's not quite as half-baked as I remembered it, but the human plots still kind of peter out with neither their arcs nor the thematic one surrounding Kiryu seeming completely resolved. (There's a bit of parallel between Akane and Kiryu on the value of life, and the dropping of the Godzilla-DNA plot doesn't hurt the film as much as I remembered, but it still doesn't really work and what's there is ham-fisted.)

It feels like it has the opposite problems of GMK. Here, I'm actually pretty down with the human elements and really the first fifty minutes of the film in general, and lose interest immediately when the climax kicks in. I've posted about it recently, but it really is astoundingly awful. Godzilla looks rubbery (good design; bad suit), suits fly at ninety-degree angles multiple times, there's horrible cartoony motion blur all over the place, Kiryu jumps in the form of a still image at one point, and the whole thing feels fake and scaleless both because it's shot mostly with flat angles and Godzilla and Kiryu fight in the middle of what is apparently the widest street in Tokyo (you know, so they won't have to interact directly with the miniatures too much). And then it just ... ends. It's really bad, you guys.

The whole experience is more enjoyable than I remembered, but it's still an easy fourth place and, by virtue of that fight alone, one of the most indefensible outputs of Toho's modern special-effects catalogue.

In the home stretch, I'm at:

1. Godzilla 2000
2. vs. Megaguirus/GMK? (I seriously don't know)
4. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla

EDIT --

Final update to this novel, upon rewatching them all:

1. Godzilla 2000
2. vs. Megaguirus/GMK
4. Final Wars
5/6. Against Mechagodzilla/Tokyo S.O.S.
Last edited by Rodan on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

A few days ago I saw G vs Megaguirus. It's better than FW but worse than SOS...

TheEmeraldElf
Ronin

Post by TheEmeraldElf »

I didn't see All-Out Attack so that one won't be in the running.

5.Godzilla vs Megaguirus
4.Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla
3.Godzilla Final Wars
2.Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S
1.Godzilla 2000

I LOVE Godzilla 2000, it might be my favorite Godzilla film.
That's a lot of fish...

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Upon re-watching them all:

1. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
2. GMK
3. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
4. Godzilla Tokyo SOS
5. Godzilla 2000

Final Wars is unrankable for me. Equal amounts of fun and frustration make me overall ambivalent about it and it becomes very hard to form an overall judgement on it.

Benn_Sonic_exe
Monsterland Worker

Post by Benn_Sonic_exe »

1. Final Wars
2. Godzilla vs Megaguirus
3. Tokyo S.O.S.
4. Godzilla 2000
5. GMK
6. Godzilla against MechaGodzilla
AKA Jamie.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

As of now I think it goes like this

1: GMK
2: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
3: Godzilla Vs Megaguirus
4: Tokyo S.O.S.
5: Godzilla 2000
6: Final Wars
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Ninjasaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ninjasaurus »

1. Godzilla: Final Wars
2. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
3. Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
4. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
5. Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla
6. Godzilla 2000

Final Wars being on top is actually more of a sign of how weak I think the rest of the Millennium films are than anything else. By that point in Godzilla's history, turning one of his movies into a live-action cartoon was really the only way to go about making it a success. It was difficult to take a lot of the post-Showa movies seriously, despite how hard they tried. Bringing back a lot of monsters from that era didn't hurt, either. Also, I love hammy villains when an actor can pull it off and the guy in FW certainly did, in my opinion.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

1. GMK: Loooove the Godzilla suit in this one, but my favorite thing about it is probably Baragon getting a big role :D Gotta love it when underused mons manage to get screen time. I also really liked the story, and Mothra and Ghidorah weren't bad (though they aren't my favorite incarnations of them)
2. Godzilla 2000: I have a soft spot for the 2000 suit and for Orga.
3. Tokyo SOS: Really liked the theme of life and death, and Mothra was a nice addition.
4. Against Mechagodzilla: MechaG going berserk was a pretty good twist that kept things interesting.
5. Megaguirus: I like it a lot, but it did feel kinda slow. Effects are cheesy too. But it does have some unique elements, and I don't think it deserves all the hate it gets.
6. Two hours of nothing but the kid from Megalon riding the dolphin boat.
7. Final Wars: I have a love-hate relationship with this film. I like that it got a lot of Godzilla's foes together, I like some of the updated designs, and it is a fun film for what it tries to be. But then, the fights are so short, some of the designs aren't that great, the human plot takes up way too much screen time, and it's easy to tell that this film is trying too hard to be cool. Overall, I'd say I dislike this film, but it's still a fun watch.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Gojira1963 wrote:This is my favorite series!

1. Godzilla 2000: Millennium
1. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
2. Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S
3. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
4. Godzilla against Mechagodzilla

Three way tie for first place!
I have to update my list. The three way tie for first place hasn't changed but the rest have.

2. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
3. Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
4. Godzilla vs Megaguirus.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

After re-watching the series:

1. Final Wars
2. GMK
3. G2K
4. GxMG
5 --TIE-- Tokyo SOS and Megaguirus
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

RegeneratorG1
Ronin

Post by RegeneratorG1 »

1. Godzilla 2000
2. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
3. GMK
4. Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
5. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
6. Godzilla: Final Wars

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

1. Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
2. Godzilla 2000
3. Godzilla vs Megaguirus
4. Godzilla Agaisnt Mechagodzilla
5. Final Wars
6. GMK
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Varan
Ronin

Post by Varan »

1. GMK
2. Final wars
3. Godzilla 2000
5. Tokyo SOS
6. Godzilla vs Megaguirus

Battra_96
Yojimbo

Post by Battra_96 »

GMK is my number one in this series and overall. Seriously, its the best Godzilla ever made.

after that, id say:

2: Godzilla Final Wars

3: Godzilla 2000

4: Godzilla vs Megaguirus

5: Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.

6: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Godzilla!!!!!!

Godnose
Samurai

Post by Godnose »

It's a toughy but:

1. Godzilla vs Megaguirus
2. Godzilla GMK
3. Final Wars
5. Tokyo SOS
6. Godzilla 2000

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Here's my list;

2. SOS
3. G2000
4. GMK
5. Against Mechagodzilla
6. Megaguirus
Last edited by Mechagigan on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

MechaTyranitar
Yojimbo

Post by MechaTyranitar »

1: GMK: Just a damn good film. I can nag about me not liking Ghidorah being a good guy or Mothra being stripped of her defining characteristics, but it's a minor complaint overall. Even for how wildly different everything is in the movie, somehow it still feels like a proper Godzilla movie. Something just works. Right down to the ending, with Godzilla's beating heart. It has this great feeling of "it never ends"

2: Tokyo SOS: Basically candy, an enjoyable romp that has plenty of call backs to classic movies, without completely being in it's shadow. Yes, it rehashes a bunch of stuff, including it's own predecessor, but it does it well, and in the case of what it takes from GxMG, it does it better.

3.Godzilla 2000: a middling Godzilla movie, sure, but it does it well. It also does a great job of having it's own voice and making Godzilla feel like something special.

4. Godzilla x Mechagodzilla:Not a bad movie by any means, but the whole thing really does feel like a set up to Tokyo SOS. It almost feels like the two would've been better off as one long movie. Or perhaps not, as having GxM for setup makes SOS get right to down to things.

5.Final Wars: a bloated mess. An amusing one that's worth repeated watchings, though. Nevertheless, my love and apologetic attitude towards it has cooled in recent years.

6 Godzilla vs. Megaguirus: it's worst sin is being unmemorable. When it comes to Godzilla movies, I honestly would take a bad movie that at least tries to be different (Final Wars) than a decent movie that feels indistinct. Unlike it's predecessor Godzilla 2000, something about it just feels less special. I do need to give it a rematch, maybe my opinion will change.

YonggaryRGG
Yojimbo

Post by YonggaryRGG »

1. GMK
2. GFW
3. GxM
4. G2K
5. GxMG
(Haven't seen all of GxMxMG yet)

Honestly, I find the millennium series as a whole to be not very good. Too few original monsters coupled with too many bland and boring films make it the worst of the 3 Godzilla eras in my book. GMK is the only film I consider genuinely good, but it alone isn't enough to save the series; and GFW, while a train wreck of a film, is at least experimental enough for it to stand out amongst the bland Tezuka films and the boring as hell G2K (and arguably has "so bad it's good" value as well). Though G2K and GxM at least get points for introducing new original monsters (or in GxM's case, spinning off an obscure existing monster into something new).
Last edited by YonggaryRGG on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

BaconRasherMan
Yojimbo

Post by BaconRasherMan »

1. GMK
2. G:TSOS
3. GFW
4. GXMG
5. GXM
6. G2000 (only one I actually dislike from this series)

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Might as well:

1. GMK - The most recent Godzilla film I saw and it still holds up pretty well from when I first saw it ten years ago. It's lost a bit of its awe factor and I understand that the spiritual / mystic elements may not work for everyone, but most everything else is top notch and the movie is terrifically entertaining.

2. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla - My favorite Mechagodzilla design for starters, so that's some major props there. I also found the human characters much more memorable and likeable than most entries in the series, so I was more invested in their plot. The film also has some terrific action scenes.

3. Godzilla 2000 - It's just sort of mediocre. There are enough positives that I enjoy watching it, but if someone asked me to choose the most generic Godzilla film, this one is probably the one I'd choose. It just feels like it's missing something and if a little more time and care were put into it, it could have been one of the best. As it is, it's average.

4. Tokyo SOS - The human plot in this one feels like a sideshow, which makes it difficult to sit through the first 40 minutes or so of the movie. The monster scenes are great, but everything here has already been done before either in the previous film or in Mothra vs. Godzilla.

5. Final Wars - I'm going to be honest, it's not my cup of tea. It's too hyperactive, choppily edited, and "inspired" by various other franchises for me to really enjoy watching it. The mutant scenes are a chore to get through and this is easily the worst King Ghidorah has ever looked. There are enough "hell yeah!" moments to boost this one's score a bit, but it's just too juvenile for me to really get into.

6. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus - In trying to emulate the Showa films, it goes from being charmingly outlandish to annoying stupid. Black holes. Do. Not. Work that way. I also find the human characters very irritating in this, which isn't a good thing considering the relatively small amount of screen time Godzilla gets. Also, plasma energy. What was the point of that again? The final battle is underwhelming and Kenji Suzuki really drops the ball here when it comes to special effects. The CGI in this film really is atrocious.

Overall, probably my least favorite series in the franchise as even though it has one of my top five movies, there's really only one other entry that I like a lot and re watch consistently. The rest are either just "meh" or are an outright chore for me to get through.