Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

eabaker wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:As for "Rat face", IMO, if it just had a more 1954 like face and spines, it'd be one of the best suits in the eyes of the fandom. As it is, it's a fun new take.
Personally, face is the first and most important thing I take into account when judging a G-suits face. So, "if it had a different face and spines" is kind of like saying, "Well, if this president just had significantly different policies on the majority of issues..." ;)
Fair haha. I usually do the same and like 2004's face, just meant for widespread public opinion.

RIP Evan.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I've never liked the way Wakasa's suit's faces look. Nearly all of them have this paper-thin bottom jaw that doesn't look good.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:I've never liked the way Wakasa's suit's faces look. Nearly all of them have this paper-thin bottom jaw that doesn't look good.
I don't like how scrunched up Anguirus or King Shisa's face look.
It might have to do with the more realistic human eyes in tandem with the way the snout is. They look way too human like or mammalian.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, I cannot believe that they found a way to make KS look significantly worse than his original goofy suit. And as a longtime Angilas fan, I was really excited for his return in GFA, only to be heartbroken by that hideous thing up on the screen.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

They remind me of the characters Paul Blaisdell created for various '50s monster movies. His monsters' faces were sculpted so that they were always scowling. There's no ambiguity to the expression on either of those^^ faces, either: they both look just angry.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't know, I don't really see what's wrong with Anguirus, at least to an extent that it can be called "hideous". It's certainly a lot better looking than most fan-made designs I've seen for the character.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm not comparing to fan art, though; I'm only comparing to previous on screen incarnations of the character, which did not look pug-faced and cross-eyed.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:I'm not comparing to fan art, though; I'm only comparing to previous on screen incarnations of the character, which did not look pug-faced and cross-eyed.
Fair enough. I guess what I meant by that was that there's so many different ways that the design could've been interpreted that look way out of character for Anguirus and I think the GFW one got mostly correct with it. I think it retains a lot of features that make Anguirus Anguirus as well as changing things up a bit to be fresh. A bully-ish face works for me because that's kind of what Anguirus is: a bully dog-type kaiju, tenacious and in-your-face. Granted, the on-screen portrayal doesn't really live up to that but the isolated design I think works well enough for what it is.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:Fair enough. I guess what I meant by that was that there's so many different ways that the design could've been interpreted that look way out of character for Anguirus and I think the GFW one got mostly correct with it. I think it retains a lot of features that make Anguirus Anguirus as well as changing things up a bit to be fresh. A bully-ish face works for me because that's kind of what Anguirus is: a bully dog-type kaiju, tenacious and in-your-face. Granted, the on-screen portrayal doesn't really live up to that but the isolated design I think works well enough for what it is.
For me, the length of Angilas's snout was always one of his more distinctive features, so with this stubbier version it does stop looking like quite the same monster to me. I always found the big eyes and downturned mouth of the '68 suit very appealing, as well (as much as I like the 55 suit, it doesn't convey nearly as much personality). The '68 suit looks intelligent to me, while the '04 suit looks dumb as a rock.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

UltramanGoji wrote:I don't know, I don't really see what's wrong with Anguirus, at least to an extent that it can be called "hideous". It's certainly a lot better looking than most fan-made designs I've seen for the character.
Oh, you mean the "hey guys I drew an ankylosaurus and put a nasal horn on it" designs? Yeah, those are pretty godawful. GFW Anguirus is okay looking in my opinion. Nowhere near as good as the Showa version, but not terrible.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Eh Anguirus is fine. It's just the head that looks a tad bit off. Because it's so small it makes him look like some kinda weird looking dino-dog hybrid. :lol:

And i have stated my dislike for King Caesar's revamp before, but i will admit, besides the missing ruby eyes, he does have a good head. It's just his hair and body...his hair looks too shaggy my liking and he's so skinny the suit looks like a body stocking.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

I like how this Godzilla has feline expressions, looks like a cat.

The Rodan design of this movie is so exaggerated, i love it, though, not exactly my favorite Rodan design.
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I always thought Anguirus had a pretty cool update. I prefer the Showa Angurius, but I liked what we got here. I do agree with the human eyes though, I always wondered what looked so off about some of these suits, especially King Seesar, and I realized it’s his eyes. Generally, I like all the updates, even though I really dislike this film, except for Rodan, King Seesar, and Minya, what a load of crap that last one was. I remember when it was announced that Minya wold be in this movie, and people were expecting a Godzilla junior type of design... nope! Sure would’ve loved more Hedorah too.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Anguirus' head DOES look kinda weird, but maybe this is because after being used to his old Showa look for so long, it's kinda hard to imagine anything else-Ditto the color scheme. Still, you can take one look at the Millenium/Final Wars Anguirus and say 'Yep, that's Anguirus' simply because they've got such a unique silhouette and moveset.

King Caesar's design isn't so bad imo, although that's partially because I'm so used to the Millenium design myself-Showa's still really good. Besides, if I'm being honest, while the Millenium design is definitely different, the actual movie version looks infinitely better than THIS render of King Caesar

Honestly, I LIKE most of the Final Wars designs-I do wish they gave the monsters more powers though (Fire Rodan's Uranium Heat Beam, Kumonga's stinger), but I think they're pretty good. I like the color schemes, the detail, the scale of the monsters, and the fact that they look more physically capable or fit compared to the more softer edges of the Showa series and the heft of the Heisei age. Admittedly, the Millenium designs still hold flaws (ie too humanoid) and the Showa and Heisei are still good monster designs, but I just like the Millenium more...partially because I was raised on these designs, so I'm biased, but I still stand by my point they look great in my mind.
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Final Goji is one of my favorite suits, and I love his attitude
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I like the designs of the suits, but not the suits themselves, if you know what I mean.

The only designs I outright like from the movie are Kamacuras, Kumonga and Mothra which is basically the same as SOS Mothra. They did Anguirus dirty. Also, I’m starting to warm up to Rodan’s design. I used to hate it so much but now I like it better than that hideous Heisei design.
For Emperor and Empire!

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

VoyagerGoji wrote:I like the designs of the suits, but not the suits themselves, if you know what I mean.

The only designs I outright like from the movie are Kamacuras, Kumonga and Mothra which is basically the same as SOS Mothra. They did Anguirus dirty. Also, I’m starting to warm up to Rodan’s design. I used to hate it so much but now I like it better than that hideous Heisei design.
That's understandable-The suits, while decent and detailed designs just look too angular or humanoid or 'edgy' in a lot of ways-Like someone went out of their way to make them really be 'cool' or 'dark' or whatever. I'm at least glad FinalGoji's costume was taken from having a visible heart and being a walking pincushion to a weirdly buff and lean Godzilla...but hey, given the aesthetic of the movie, it works. A softer Showa suit or a Heisei design would look WAY out of place considering it looks like every other monster hit the gym and got ripped for the movie.

Rodan's chest/belly armor and colors are nice to look at, in my opinion. Hell, for most of the monsters the new Millenium colors are pretty good! Kamacuras' greenish exoskeleton and red tint, Hedorah's highlights, they all work for me with a few exceptions (Anguirus' Showa colors are just too ingrained in my brain, but his Final Wars palette isn't BAD by any stretch) and of course Zilla...who I am absolutely sure they actually made his render and model look WORSE from the trailer to the movie.

Zilla from the trailer

Zilla in the movie
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Thu May 21, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BiitoreinGoji94
Ronin

Post by BiitoreinGoji94 »

OLD TokyoMonsters Videos
Anyone remember seeing this fan trailer back in 2004 and thought it was legit?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That trailer sounds like a better movie than what we actually got.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.