Favorite Film Score

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Favorite Film Score

Godzilla: 2000 by Takayuki Hattori
13%
Godzilla vs Megaguirus by Michiru Oshima
3%
GMK by Kow Otani
23%
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla by Michiru Oshima
10%
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S by Michiru Oshima
37%
Godzilla: Final Wars by Various Artists
3%
Undecided
10%

Total votes: 30

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Favorite Film Score

Post by Space Hunter M »

Rody wrote:G2k's soundtrack sounds - I'm not sure - like it was recorded in someone's house? It fails to capture the majesty and power Godzilla needs.
Yeah, I noticed that too. The acoustics for Godzilla's theme are all in one place. Like the 1986 Ostinato re-recordings, there's no depth or dynamic range. It's a far cry from say, Oshima's rich sounding scores, generously provided by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra, or even King Kong vs. Godzilla's 1962 stereo recording.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

It doesn't sound that great on CD, but the US DVD 5.1 audio makes it sound pretty huge.

There are also some shitty themes (a couple of them being slower, boring versions of the main theme) that don't make it into the US cut, and are replaced with either Ifukube or some very fitting J. Peter Robinson cues.
Legion1979 wrote:Personally, I think Hattori's G2K score is a meandering mess that's not even half as good as his Space Godzilla score, which wasn't even that great to begin with.
Really? I've always hated SpaceGodzilla's score, I think it's one of the three worst in the series..there's just something really cheap sounding about it. G2K is similar in some ways but still way improved IMO.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

The GMK score is my absolute fav of the millennium series, they just place so much power in the music alone.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"