Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:00 am
LegendZilla wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:34 pm ^Would you be opposed to a sequel to this film?
It would have some mighty big shoes to fill. Sequels to films with such profound real-world messages best be treated extra carefully.
If you bring in King Caesar, you could delve into the history between Okinawa and mainland Japan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:00 am It would have some mighty big shoes to fill. Sequels to films with such profound real-world messages best be treated extra carefully.
I don't really disagree, but Godzilla Raids Again is laughing at you.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:36 am
ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:00 am It would have some mighty big shoes to fill. Sequels to films with such profound real-world messages best be treated extra carefully.
GRA isn't generally considered a high-point in the series.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I think I prefer it as a stand alone series. Honestly GMK has one of my favorite endings in the entire series.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:30 pm
GRA isn't generally considered a high-point in the series.
My point exactly. It was a sequel to a profound message movie, wasn't treated carefully at all, and still launched a franchise of 34 more movies and counting.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:58 pm I think I prefer it as a stand alone series. Honestly GMK has one of my favorite endings in the entire series.
Yes, that ending had a lot of heart.

If this movie had had a sequel, it would have been interesting to see the Japanese getting into a situation where they attempt to make Godzilla their guardian monster. With the 3 previous guardians gone and some danger threatening them, they make the very monster they had fought to stop their defender. I like the irony of it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:14 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:58 pm I think I prefer it as a stand alone series. Honestly GMK has one of my favorite endings in the entire series.

If this movie had had a sequel, it would have been interesting to see the Japanese getting into a situation where they attempt to make Godzilla their guardian monster. With the 3 previous guardians gone and some danger threatening them, they make the very monster they had fought to stop their defender. I like the irony of it.
Not a bad idea for someone who would prefer no sequel.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

That's an interesting way of spelling 'applauding.'
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:14 pm Yes, that ending had a lot of heart.
I see what you did there...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

edgaguirus wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:14 pm
I see what you did there.

Godzilla4Life
Ronin

Post by Godzilla4Life »

I can't imagine how much hate this movie is getting. Really? goofy not at all

The whole plot was just exciting and new of Godzilla being a evil being possessed from spirts from ww2 was just a new idea and which is what got this movie so much more praise than the others. King Ghidorah's origins is changed from evil space monster to a guaridan for Japan

And this is also my fav mothra incarnation

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

........where are you seeing all this hate?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Godzilla4Life wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:03 am I can't imagine how much hate this movie is getting. Really? goofy not at all

The whole plot was just exciting and new of Godzilla being a evil being possessed from spirts from ww2 was just a new idea and which is what got this movie so much more praise than the others. King Ghidorah's origins is changed from evil space monster to a guaridan for Japan

And this is also my fav mothra incarnation
The fact that Mothra and KG are here despite not originally supposed to as per the directors’ intention doesn’t help. I also think that the whole ww2 spirits idea is stupid.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue May 17, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Godzilla4Life wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:03 am I can't imagine how much hate this movie is getting. Really? goofy not at all
What hate?

Isn't this regarded as one of the best Godzilla films along with the original 1954 movie and 1964's Mothra vs. Godzilla?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed May 18, 2022 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

As far as I know the majority of people here feel that the film is well made and entertaining.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:40 pm As far as I know the majority of people here feel that the film is well made and entertaining.
Let's just say some of the creative decisions made aren't everyone's cup of tea.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Personally I would had preferred Varan and Anguirus so they would had gotten spotlight but understood why Toho wanted King Ghidorah and Mothra instead.

I'm not peeved about King Ghidorah being a good guy given this incarnation was the Yamata-no-Orochi (Which is fitting as the he was the inspiration for King Ghidorah) sealed away being purified for a use of good.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:18 pm Personally I would had preferred Varan and Anguirus so they would had gotten spotlight but understood why Toho wanted King Ghidorah and Mothra instead.

I'm not peeved about King Ghidorah being a good guy given this incarnation was the Yamata-no-Orochi (Which is fitting as the he was the inspiration for King Ghidorah) sealed away being purified for a use of good.
So maybe this version of Ghidorah is able to be either good or evil, like Heisei Gamera.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:57 pm
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:18 pm Personally I would had preferred Varan and Anguirus so they would had gotten spotlight but understood why Toho wanted King Ghidorah and Mothra instead.

So maybe this version of Ghidorah is able to be either good or evil, like Heisei Gamera.
Well, not anymore.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:57 pm

Eh, I don't think "evil" is an option for the Guardians. They are often destructive and punish evil humans, but their mission is to protect the world from true evil like GMK Godzilla.