Pulse / Kairo (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
H-Man
G-Grasper

Pulse / Kairo (2001)

Post by H-Man »

Pulse (2001, d: Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
Orig. title - Kairo
(Distributed by Toho)

Eerie ghost story about a supernatural force that is associated with computers that drives people into depression and often suicide. There are two parallel stories: the first involves the employees of a floriculturist business--Michi, Junko, and Yabe--whose co-worker might have been the first victim. The second storyline involves a college student, Kawashima, who is testing the internet (ah, the quaint days of dial-up internet) when he receives spooky invitations to a website that purports to show ghosts. The head of the school computer lab, Harue, commits herself to investigating his claims.

Did I find the film scary? There were a few creepy parts and one scene made me jump. There is a video on YouTube that analyzes what the author feels is the scariest scene of all time--when Yabe goes into the forbidden room. That scene is spooky, to be sure. But it was a preceding scene that made me jump. It's really not one of those types of movies, though. One of the more understated sequences is the news broadcast, where we here name after name being mentioned on the recently missing persons list, which list seems to go on with no end in sight.

Do we ever get an explanation for the supernatural phenomena in the film? Sort of. One of Harue's work colleagues is a graduate student who seems to be the most in the know about ghosts. He proposes a theory that parallels Dawn of the Dead's "No More Room in Hell" hypothesis. I wish more had been explained about the red tape and forbidden room aspects of the plot, but I guess that ambiguity necessary for the story. The film is ultimately a commentary on the isolation and alienation of people. I'm guessing that it was already a problem in Japan--at least in urban areas--to some extent before the advent of the internet, so the so-called Information Superhighway just exabercated things. I'm guessing that 2001 was more or less the point where the vast majority of the First World had already broken down and gotten a PC with dial-up access (heh). From there on out, our collective abilities to find true and meaningful connections with people would continue to decline.

And that is where the film really gets depressing.
Spoiler:
Several characters feel so alienated that it almost feels like suicide and "moving on" is the only way to beat loneliness. But at the climax, one of the main protagonists confronts one of the ghosts and learns the horrifying truth: It is even lonelier on the other side. So mankind has the overwhelming feeling of being screwed on this side of mortality, only to discover that the alternative is somehow even worse.
Last edited by H-Man on Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Pulse / Kairo (2001)

Post by mikelcho »

I have the DVDs of this version, the unrated version of the U.S. remake and the two direct-to-video sequels to that remake that are actually two halves of one story.

I must say I really liked all four of them. Very creepy indeed.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:00 am I have the DVDs of this version, the unrated version of the U.S. remake and the two direct-to-video sequels to that remake that are actually two halves of one story.

Apparently American critics were hard on the U.S. remake for being too "bombastic" and not understated like the original. But then again, critics aren't really the types you trust for reviews on genre film. I am intrigued enough that I'll have to look for the American version myself.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

H-Man wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:27 am
mikelcho wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:00 am I have the DVDs of this version, the unrated version of the U.S. remake and the two direct-to-video sequels to that remake that are actually two halves of one story.

Apparently American critics were hard on the U.S. remake for being too "bombastic" and not understated like the original. But then again, critics aren't really the types you trust for reviews on genre film. I am intrigued enough that I'll have to look for the American version myself.
It's very good, believe me. Be sure you get the unrated version, though. It'll say that right on the front of it.

And always remember, it's the viewers, not the critics, that make or break a film/TV series/book/record.

Also, if you do watch the two sequels, let me know what you think. They're called Pulse 2 (a.k.a. Pulse 2: Afterlife) and Pulse 3 (a.k.a. Pulse 3: Invasion).
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Is the film’s director the son of Akira Kurosawa?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:36 pm Is the film’s director the son of Akira Kurosawa?
I don't believe there's any relation. He also directed Cure, which I highly recommend.
He Jock it Made of Steel

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:36 pm Is the film’s director the son of Akira Kurosawa?
He is not.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Chaos Reincarnation
Monarch Researcher

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:01 pm
H-Man wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:27 am

Also, if you do watch the two sequels, let me know what you think. They're called Pulse 2 (a.k.a. Pulse 2: Afterlife) and Pulse 3 (a.k.a. Pulse 3: Invasion).

I had no idea this movie had a sequel..let alone 2! I'll have to check them out.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Man, this film is great but sure did leave me depressed! I'd like to see it again but I'll be sure to steel myself beforehand.

Chaos Reincarnation
Monarch Researcher

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

It's definitely a heavy movie. I think the only real humor I got from it was seeing MC learn how to use the internet.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Yeah it's my favorite J-horror film it's eerie and depressing and empty and gets emptier the more you progress into the movie.