Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Post by Lesko »

While not a masterpiece or anything this G2K is still a worthy entry. For starters the redesign is iconic and excellent. Very fearsome and saurian. I also enjoyed the green color. It is funny how Godzilla is often portrayed as green in posters and toys when in film he almost never has been that color. The spikes and jagged teeth are fantastic as well. Orga is also a fantastic adversary that in my opinion is too overlooked. It's insanely large hands combined with round back and small head look very alien and unsettling. The action scenes are alsopretty good overall. Another thing I like is how Godzilla's regeneration is a focal point of the plot. While we sadly don't directly get to see Godzilla regenerate, we still technically see his regeneration ability in real time with Orga. The criticism I have is the human factor which is just very bland. The characters are pretty forgettable and you don't really care what they are doing or what happens to them including the generic villain who looks like a Japanese Bruce Campbell. Still despite the subpar human factor it is overall a very enjoyable entry with very memorable action scenes. Godzilla's strategy to finally destroy Orga was epic and one for the books!

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I've only seen the American cut so I'll say I really love this film it along with GMK and Shin are my favorite modern Godzilla films. The characters and memorable, fun and very likeable and anybody who says that you can't have great characters in modern kaiju films should really rewatch this film because it has by far the most entertaining human storyline besides Shin and has alot of heart in it as well especially between Shinoda and his daughter Io and he's also my favorite protagonist in any Godzilla film alongside Rando Yaguchi and Mark Russell. I loved the other characters like Io, Yuki and Miyasaka they all had believable chemistry with each other and then we have Katagiri he was great despite being slightly one dimensional not sure how he was in the original version but nonetheless I do enjoy him as a character and he's the only character my family actually remembers his name in a Godzilla film. Love how Godzilla is portrayed in this as an anti-heroic force of nature than is more intelligent than what people give him credit for while an the same time still being a menace to Japan and I think this movie captured that better than any other film. Orga was as great antagonist for this film and had a great design that looked alien while at the same time looked similar to Godzilla because he had Godzilla's DNA and the fights between are the best fights in any film. This is a top 5 film for me and it certainly has the best dubbing I've ever heard for any film.
Last edited by DynomikeGojira on Sun May 23, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

Sorry if this seemed strange but this is one of the few Godzilla films which makes me cry. Whenever I see a top ten saddest Godzilla scenes I don’t see the scene in this movie which makes me cry. I am referring to the scene when, after the building is blown up, Io with yuki searches for her father and they comes across a dead end. But then shinoda shows up and Io tearfully embraces with her father. Every time I watch this scene, I sob at it especially in the Japanese version when you hear Io natural voice. Does anybody here in the fandom cry at this scene?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

gfan84 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:06 pm Sorry if this seemed strange but this is one of the few Godzilla films which makes me cry. Whenever I see a top ten saddest Godzilla scenes I don’t see the scene in this movie which makes me cry. I am referring to the scene when, after the building is blown up, Io with yuki searches for her father and they comes across a dead end. But then shinoda shows up and Io tearfully embraces with her father. Every time I watch this scene, I sob at it especially in the Japanese version when you hear Io natural voice. Does anybody here in the fandom cry at this scene?
I don't cry here, but it does get me in my feels. Very genuine moment in a damn good movie.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Godzilla films don't often show child and parent characters in them, but this movie does it well. The scene previously mentioned and other really show a strong bond between Shinoda and Io.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

This movie’s really damn good. Great story and characters, the Millenians are intimidating as hell villains, Godzilla’s awesome, and the final battle is really damn fun.

Only complaint I have is the CGI. It’s awful, and it’s so fucking distracting when it pops up. When the movie’s just practical stuff, it looks great for sure, but good god the CGI.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:08 pm Only complaint I have is the CGI. It’s awful, and it’s so fucking distracting when it pops up. When the movie’s just practical stuff, it looks great for sure, but good god the CGI.
I appreciate Kenji Suzuki's ambition as SFX director (ROM3, G2K, and GxM), but I think he overestimated the Japanese FX industry's ability to produce digital effects at that time. I don't think his traditional FX work was all that great, either. I think his strength was his ability to stage (if not always execute) dynamic sequences involving people and monsters together. A perfect example of that is Kiriko's "ride" on Godzilla in GxM.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:18 pm
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:08 pm Only complaint I have is the CGI. It’s awful, and it’s so fucking distracting when it pops up. When the movie’s just practical stuff, it looks great for sure, but good god the CGI.
I appreciate Kenji Suzuki's ambition as SFX director (ROM3, G2K, and GxM), but I think he overestimated the Japanese FX industry's ability to produce digital effects at that time. I don't think his traditional FX work was all that great, either. I think his strength was his ability to stage (if not always execute) dynamic sequences involving people and monsters together. A perfect example of that is Kiriko's "ride" on Godzilla in GxM.
Yeah, I think Suzuki had great vision, and overall I prefer his staging of action and his sense of composition over Kawakita's, but his reach did often exceed his grasp.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in, and if it isn't I do apologize in advance.

I've wanted to know for a while now.. Has the Japanese version of this film ever received any sort of legit subbed release? I bought a subbed bootleg of this one many years ago, and the quality of that disc was so horrid and distracting that I just stuck to the dub when I marathoned the Godzilla movies during that time. I don't care if the dub is considered superior, I just want to be able to see the Japanese version and make that judgment for myself. If the only means to see it subbed are through a (hopefully decent) bootleg, direct me in PM's of course.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Missingno. wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:50 pm Ive wanted to know for a while now.. Has the Japanese version of this film ever received any sort of legit subbed release?
Yep, the Sony Blu-ray has both the US and Japanese versions.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yeah, Sony put out a double feature bluray of this movie in 2014 featuring the Japanese version and the American re-edit.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Rewatched this to decompress and relax, and it was an incredible surge of not just nostalgia but comfort. A definitive Godzilla experience that hits all the right notes in spades, all the while keeping the human cast important. Easily in my ever impossible to figure out top five. The dynamic between Shinoda and his daughter Io is a real highlight made even better with Yuki's snarkiness, of which her relationship with Io comes together when they look at each other and drive back to save Shinoda. An earlier moment that stuck out was when Yuki's berating Io only for her to be in total bliss enjoying her music with her earbuds. The whole exchange over Io charging Yuki for joining them is hilarious and cute. The film is abundant with fun character details and expressions that breathe life unto the screen, with little gags in the dialogue that run throughout.

Katagiri...... oh Katagiri. While not a direct antagonist, I'd say he does enough to warrant an iconic scene with the Big G himself. I adore that Godzilla purposefully singles him out and spares the others, I wonder if he recognized the main three from the beginning. Adding to that, I'm pretty sure Katagiri's the only human we explicitly see Godzilla kill. The lighthouse guard and trio in the restaurant are shown surviving, which I bet was to show that this Godzilla isn't deliberate in going after just anybody. During the JSDF assault we don't see him lash out due to the UFO interfering. Oh and brownie points for the general saying: "As we all know from experience, Godzilla does not retreat when attacked".

Shiro Sano as Miyasaka fleshes out the dynamic between Shinoda & Katagiri, I would not have minded seeing more of that. I thought his moment of guilt over discovering the UFO and bringing it to the surface and potentially bringing the end of humanity was a nice scene that gave him some depth. I got heavy Yamane vibes from Shinoda this time around since he wants Godzilla to live and be studied. Good stuff.

Godzilla himself is wonderful. I believe he was the first to start the trend of Godzilla's dorsal plates being seen above the waves when he's charging towards shore. Tsutomu Kitagawa brought a lot of nice movement to Godzilla, I love the way he sways his head before firing the atomic breath. Godzilla is portrayed as smart, fearless, and devoted to his goals when you piss him off. If Toho ever has different Godzillas encounter each other, this version of 2000 is mandatory and better be there. Orga will forever be one of my favourite G foes, there's as much sorrow with him as there is weirdness. I noticed this scar he has under his shoulder cannon and between his neck, my older Bandai figure even has it, cool detail. Takayuki Hattori's score is incredible, and his scores are a big reason in why I like the Earth trilogy. "Dreaded God" in particular during the ending is badass and enchanting.

Overall, I find 2000 to be Takao Okawara's best Godzilla film, he translated the script written by Hiroshi Kashiwabara & Wataru Mimura to the screen very well. Rest in peace Mimura.

GODZILLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

The trailer for Godzilla 2000

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

What if trailers for all American blockbusters were like this?

Instead of the completely serious deadpan inception soundtrack constant fade to black trailers we always get.

Delivered with complete self awareness but without a drop of cynicism. I mean it has a Rob Zombie song in the trailer.

I think we would all look at movies in a more joyful way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOr5vaQy9YM

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The tagline on the movie posters always makes me smile, but it also works well for the movie. Orga's decapitated body does crumble to powder.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:50 pm Godzilla himself is wonderful. I believe he was the first to start the trend of Godzilla's dorsal plates being seen above the waves when he's charging towards shore.
I’d hate to break it to you… but that now classic trope was actually invented by G98 of all things.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Spuro wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:08 am
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:50 pm Godzilla himself is wonderful. I believe he was the first to start the trend of Godzilla's dorsal plates being seen above the waves when he's charging towards shore.
I’d hate to break it to you… but that now classic trope was actually invented by G98 of all things.
Yeah, I hate to break it to both of you but I'm pretty sure Son of Godzilla did that first.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Related note: got a film cell from the first UFO fight for Christmas!

GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Very nice.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:22 am Related note: got a film cell from the first UFO fight for Christmas!

This is right when Godzilla gets blasted by the UFO midway through the film, correct?

I always liked how Godzilla gets blown the fuck back. One of the few times in the series where a monster/alien just blows Godzilla away. Sure, a full blown confrontation might have been more exciting for some people, but I love how they build up Godzilla and the military before the UFO appears.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:38 am
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:22 am Related note: got a film cell from the first UFO fight for Christmas!

This is right when Godzilla gets blasted by the UFO midway through the film, correct?

I always liked how Godzilla gets blown the skreeonk back. One of the few times in the series where a monster/alien just blows Godzilla away. Sure, a full blown confrontation might have been more exciting for some people, but I love how they build up Godzilla and the military before the UFO appears.
Yes it is! Watched the move last night and found the frame
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?