Super Star God: The Chouseishin Series Thread

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Super Star God: The Chouseishin Series Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

Hello once again, LegendZilla here. Today I'd like to discuss Toho's initially successful but ultimately short-lived attempt to capitalize on Toei's Super Sentai series (best known in the west as Power Rangers), The Chouseishin (Super-Star God) franchise. For those of you who don't already know, the series was helmed by non other than The Heisei-era SFX director Koichi Kawakita himself. I am currently half-way through the first entry, Gransazers, but there's unfortunately been a pretty massive gap between times I actually do decide to continue binge-watching the series online. Mostly because life gets in the way. From what I've watched so far, I rather enjoy this series.

For those of you lucky to watch all 3 series in their entirety, which entry is your favorite? What are you favorite episodes, characters, mecha ect? Also, do you think this franchise deserves a chance at revival? If so, what motifs do you think they should cover? Or do you think it should just remain a relic of the early 2000's? Fill me in as to what you think.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon May 09, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 11 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Chouseishin Series Thread

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

From what I understand, some Maser weaponry appears in this, correct?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I have only watched Gransazers, but I quite enjoyed it and I will likely watch Justirisers at some point soon. Fun cast of characters and entertaining action scenes, with writing that while most of the time is a fun sort of cheesy does occasionally have rather poignant moments.

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:30 am From what I understand, some Maser weaponry appears in this, correct?
Yes, according to Wikizilla, Maser Cannons make an appearance in Justirisers.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:30 am From what I understand, some Maser weaponry appears in this, correct?
Yes, in the early version of the Gransazers intro.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

I enjoy Gransazers quite a bit. Thought it was a solid show, even if the middle episodes were a bit hit and miss (when they go the self-contained story route). The best era of the show are the first 24 episodes, although the two parter afterwards that introduces Type-05 GS Assist Robot Youhi is quite enjoyable too.

Justirisers is an okay show, I didn't really gel with it as much although design wise it was better.

For Sazer-X... I lost interest in the series after the movie. I didn't really care for the main characters from this show, which also made me realize why I enjoyed Gransazers as much as I did was because it actually had a rather large cast of main characters that had some good interactions between them. The Sazer-X crew was super streamlined and a little more juvenile in their characterization.
Masers appear and the Gotengo as probably the most noteworthy machinery. Episode 8 also features Hiroshi Koizumi reprising his role as Professor Chujo, although he never mentions Mothra during the episode.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Arbok wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:28 pm I enjoy Gransazers quite a bit. Thought it was a solid show, even if the middle episodes were a bit hit and miss (when they go the self-contained story route). The best era of the show are the first 24 episodes, although the two parter afterwards that introduces Type-05 GS Assist Robot Youhi is quite enjoyable too.

Justirisers is an okay show, I didn't really gel with it as much although design wise it was better.

For Sazer-X... I lost interest in the series after the movie. I didn't really care for the main characters from this show, which also made me realize why I enjoyed Gransazers as much as I did was because it actually had a rather large cast of main characters that had some good interactions between them. The Sazer-X crew was super streamlined and a little more juvenile in their characterization.
I have to give you a massive high five for that, because that's practically how I feel about the trilogy as a whole (and high fives to everyone else who watched Gransazers, y'all cool in my book). While the middle portion is hit and miss (though Ep. 30 is probably one of my favorites), the first 24 and the last 10-ish (from Bosquito and beyond) are all worthwhile. Justirisers is eh, mixed at first, but I'd say gets better once they replace the central antagonist. But Sazer-X... I don't see myself going back to that, with only the first 12 eps. and the movie under my belt.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Re: Super Star God: The Chouseishin Series Thread

Post by Bigdog »

I find it a shame they didn't stick with a similar aesthetic from the first two series or invest in it more to give Super Sentai a run for its money. I was seriously interested in any American adaptation mostly because of more affordable merchandise back then, because it had a much different feel, and because if it did well, that would've forced Disney to compete and lead to more Sazer series being made.

I've never really watched the show per se, and tend to not really think about it since Toho gave up on the franchise like Takaratomy stopped making their shows. It's pretty unfortunate that there's only two studios and three franchises instead of a more diverse and competitive market.

I know Justirisers is possibly in the G x MG continuity, which is interesting, but how is Gransazers?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

It's too bad it didn't turn into a franchise. I liked the aesthetics and it had nice hybrid blend of super sentai and toho kaiju. Plus this series does prove Koichi Kawakita could film melee fights if he really wanted to. Sure there's still his signature beams but it was balanced. I think Sazer-x tried too hard to stoop to sentai levels of juvenileness and that killed imo. They should have aimed something more closer to the way Ultra shows portray their human casts. Also these shows were made during a time when Japan was burned out with Kaiju and Tokusatsu.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Bigdog wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:35 pm I know Justirisers is possibly in the G x MG continuity, which is interesting, but how is Gransazers?
wair what

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Bigdog wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:35 pm I know Justirisers is possibly in the G x MG continuity, which is interesting, but how is Gransazers?
I think you have that swapped; Chujo appears in Gransazers, not Justirisers. And while no acknowledgement is made concerning his connections to OG Mothra or the Kiryu saga, it's a reference for fans to get. ;)

Doubly fun fact - In the Singapore English Dub (yes, that's a thing), the whale-like Ultra Star God Leviathan is referred to as "a golden Godzilla". This is a blatant mistranslation because the kanji / katakana for "metal(lic)" and "whale" are similar to "golden Godzilla".
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Gransazers was pretty cool!
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I take it that these three TV series and their respective films were never released in the U.S., subtitled or otherwise, nor are they likely to be.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:42 pm I take it that these three TV series and their respective films were never released in the U.S., subtitled or otherwise, nor are they likely to be.
I've heard rumors somewhere that Mill Creek may try to license the series. That was a while ago, so we best take it with a grain of salt.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:45 pm
mikelcho wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:42 pm I take it that these three TV series and their respective films were never released in the U.S., subtitled or otherwise, nor are they likely to be.
I've heard rumors somewhere that Mill Creek may try to license the series. That was a while ago, so we'd best take it with a grain of salt.
Very interesting. I hope it turns out to be true.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

KaijuX wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:34 am
I think you have that swapped; Chujo appears in Gransazers, not Justirisers. And while no acknowledgement is made concerning his connections to OG Mothra or the Kiryu saga, it's a reference for fans to get. ;)

Doubly fun fact - In the Singapore English Dub (yes, that's a thing), the whale-like Ultra Star God Leviathan is referred to as "a golden Godzilla". This is a blatant mistranslation because the kanji / katakana for "metal(lic)" and "whale" are similar to "golden Godzilla".
When I was little and discovered the Sazer franchise, it was that mecha that looked like MechaGodzilla that gave me the impression.
This.
https://tokusatsu.fandom.com/wiki/Riseross

It made me wonder they recycled Kiryu's plans in-universe to make their own robot. Mind you I knew practically nothing about the franchise other than it looked like Power Rangers and their takes on giant robots were different. I'm no stranger to dubs either. I had some early memories with Ultraman and Ultraseven, but I didn't remember much of it when 4Kids did Tiga. I thought it was the dumbest crap ever like the 2003 Astro Boy. I guess it happens like that because everything newer is inspired by those series. Plus it doesn't help that Osamu Tezuka's manga is extremely dry and lacking.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I've heard Justirisers was dubbed and aired on FOX.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:53 am
I've heard Justirisers was dubbed and aired on FOX.
That's very interesting.