Monster Discussion #52: SpaceGodzilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Re: Monster Discussion #52: SpaceGodzilla

Post by godzillalives88 »

I would argue SpaceGodzilla's greatest contribution to the series has been in merchandise. People may not all care for his movie, but they love to collect figures of him, and he's featured prominently in video games and comic books.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

godzillalives88 wrote:I would argue SpaceGodzilla's greatest contribution to the series has been in merchandise. People may not all care for his movie, but they love to collect figures of him, and he's featured prominently in video games and comic books.
her design is incredible. SG also has some very vibrant colors for a kaiju in this series, as opposed to the typical red/dark color schemes. Mothra is one of the few others who share this trait.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

godzillalives88 wrote:I would argue SpaceGodzilla's greatest contribution to the series has been in merchandise. People may not all care for his movie, but they love to collect figures of him, and he's featured prominently in video games and comic books.
Agreed. His movie was by no means a fan favorite but his appearance in merchandise (mainly toys and comic books) is what makes me like him. The way Matt Frank draws SpaceGodzilla looks badass.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

SG makes a great villian despite the film. A good design and power that goes off the charts makes SG perfect for video games or comics.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Agreed that SpaceGodzilla makes a great villain. His crystal and telekinetic powers are some of the most unique of the franchise, and he definitely looks badass.

American Godzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by American Godzilla »

I've always heard that Space Godzilla's looks were modeled after the game-only Super Godzilla look. An artist called Steelia made a comparison of the two which is a great side-by-side that I wanted to share here...

I'm a believe of God and Jesus Christ my saviour and not afraid to say so.
Although I'm not against giving freedom to same-sex couples/marriage (as America is supposed to be free), as a Christian (which the Bible describes as a sin) and me personally I don't care/desire/agree with same sex couples/marriage.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think a big problem with the idea that the design was taken from that Godzilla game was originally SpaceGodzilla had completely different design in concept art. He looked way more like Biollante and had a centurian look. Maybe they did then take the design from the Godzilla game but it's a little depressing thinking that some of the original designs are a lot cooler:

I guess the idea is that they wanted to make Spacegodzilla look- ya know- more like Godzilla.

As for my thoughts on SpaceGodzilla:
Great design(though I like some of the earlier designs more) and I love the variety of weapons and powers it could use.
I am actually one of the people who is more sympathetic towards SpaceGodzilla. However, I never felt he was explored enough in his own film and wish he appeared again. I'm glad the comics and videogames understood how awesome he is. While I love Destroyah and think it's an awesome monster I don't think we need to see Destroyah again because the movie Godzilla vs Destroyah was pretty great and showed how threatening and powerful Destroyah was. Can't say the same about SG.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think a big problem with the idea that the design was taken from that Godzilla game was originally SpaceGodzilla had completely different design in concept art. He looked way more like Biollante and had a centurian look. Maybe they did then take the design from the Godzilla game but it's a little depressing thinking that some of the original designs are a lot cooler:
I love that one. Another monster with wasted potential for a great design and interesting story.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The quadroped looking design would have been cool as well, but the movie design was impressive.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

Should have been Godzilla vs super Godzilla.
This is the beginning of the end.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

If Toho keeps making movies for much longer, I'd like to see SpaceGodzilla return. With a better story that actually makes good use of him this time, of course. And his design would have to be revamped a bit, to match the current Godzilla look. Aside from obviously slimming him down and making him more mobile and capable of T&C combat, I'd like to see him diverge slightly more from Godzilla's look, something a little more alien. Maybe whole sections of his body could be made of crystal, or he could have extra eyes or limbs, or something.

Actually... now that I think about it, his ability to generate crystals has a lot of potential uses. For example, he could cause a layer of crystal to form over his body like a suit of armor. Or, like in G:STE, he could quickly spawn small crystal shards to use as knives or clubs. Or if he loses a limb, he could create a crystal replacement for it. There's so much potential for amazing fight scenes. Hopefully, somebody at Toho is thinking the same thing.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

JAGzilla wrote:If Toho keeps making movies for much longer, I'd like to see SpaceGodzilla return. With a better story that actually makes good use of him this time, of course. And his design would have to be revamped a bit, to match the current Godzilla look. Aside from obviously slimming him down and making him more mobile and capable of T&C combat, I'd like to see him diverge slightly more from Godzilla's look, something a little more alien. Maybe whole sections of his body could be made of crystal, or he could have extra eyes or limbs, or something.

Actually... now that I think about it, his ability to generate crystals has a lot of potential uses. For example, he could cause a layer of crystal to form over his body like a suit of armor. Or, like in G:STE, he could quickly spawn small crystal shards to use as knives or clubs. Or if he loses a limb, he could create a crystal replacement for it. There's so much potential for amazing fight scenes. Hopefully, somebody at Toho is thinking the same thing.
Great ideas. I like the way you think. :)

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

JAGzilla wrote:If Toho keeps making movies for much longer, I'd like to see SpaceGodzilla return. With a better story that actually makes good use of him this time, of course. And his design would have to be revamped a bit, to match the current Godzilla look. Aside from obviously slimming him down and making him more mobile and capable of T&C combat, I'd like to see him diverge slightly more from Godzilla's look, something a little more alien. Maybe whole sections of his body could be made of crystal, or he could have extra eyes or limbs, or something.

Could be lelegendary's next film after this up coming one. He'll probably look like a fucked up crystallized godzilla or cooler.
That and orga would be cool. Even though he isn't a hesei thing. But still.
This is the beginning of the end.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

three wrote:
her design is incredible. SG also has some very vibrant colors for a kaiju in this series, as opposed to the typical red/dark color schemes. Mothra is one of the few others who share this trait.
Her? I don't think you're talking about the same monster we are.

Other than that I agree with you.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

i like space godzilla i think the him being bulky makes him look bigger and in a good way because how do you expect something in space to be thin and light no they would be big and bulky because it was formed in space

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

godzilla1541 wrote:i like space godzilla i think the him being bulky makes him look bigger and in a good way because how do you expect something in space to be thin and light no they would be big and bulky because it was formed in space
Being formed in space has nothing to do with him being bulky. He's bulky because he's based off Godzilla's DNA.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Interesting stats- I was keeping count last night, and while the numbers are approximate (it was hard to tell exactly in some of the quick cuts)...

Spacegodzilla was shot, hit, bitten, rammed, or otherwise attacked 74 times. (Which just makes me picture laying and filming 74 different squib hits on one kaiju suit alone during the course of filming- how tedious that must have been!) 43 of them were before the tower was destroyed, and the majority of them were from Moguera.

Of those, he used his crystal shield a total of... 5 times.

A tactical genius, Spacegodzilla ain't*. ;)

*Presumably it isn't an issue of power consumption, as the first two times were on the island, when he didn't have a crystal fortress yet; and he took 30 or so of those hits from Mogeura at the start of the crystal fortress fight, when he should have already had his power, *followed* by using it three times against Godzilla.

Then again, since using it is what seems to have deflected Godzilla's attention to destroying the crystals, maybe he just decided it was a bad idea.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Real talk, SpaceGodzilla has a fuckin sick roar.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

The Royal SCP
Yojimbo

Post by The Royal SCP »

I like SpaceGodzilla, in fact it's my favorite Godzilla clone! My only problem with SpaceGodzilla is the name, it's too cheesy! I would had named him Kesshō, Japanes word for "crystal"! Other than that, his is very badass!
The TRUE Royal SCP

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Is it possible that Spacegodzilla may have some remaining Erika cells, like Biollante?
The Royal SCP wrote:I like SpaceGodzilla, in fact it's my favorite Godzilla clone! My only problem with SpaceGodzilla is the name, it's too cheesy! I would had named him Kesshō, Japanes word for "crystal"! Other than that, his is very badass!
I'd call him Astrogodzilla.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)