Monster Discussion: American Godzilla '98/Zilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Starsteam
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion: American Godzilla '98/Zilla

Post by Starsteam »

Godzelda wrote:http://www.trademarkia.com/godzilla-75423143.html
http://www.trademarkia.com/logo-75503990.html
http://www.trademarkia.com/logo-75503991.html

I trust an official trademark website more than an illustrator who claims that Toho couldn't change the name of the monster if they wanted to (even though they own the rights to the character) and cites the fact that the 1998 film is still called "Godzilla" as proof of this (Sony owns the rights to the film itself, so only they could change its name). The way I see it, we don't have any definitive proof either way.

But anyways, even if he/she/it is still legally called "Godzilla," a mutant iguana that runs away from the military, has no atomic breath, and is killed by regular missiles is still not really Godzilla. At best, he/she/it is a completely separate character that just has the same name as the King of the Monsters.
1. Rights for a Godzilla animated series was canceled. Have you seen any new episodes of Godzilla the Series lately?
2. Design logo used for Merchandise, in 1999 Toho reverted back to the original logo. therefore they never renewed it..
3. Ditto, Toho reverted back to the original Baby Godzilla logo.

I mentioned earlier in this thread (I think it was this thread) that some of the earlier products for G'98 used the old logos in the trademark. You must keep in mind that Toho made the new logos before people saw the design, back when they likely believed that Godzilla was going to look like "this" from now on (There was supposed to be sequels and such). Obviously once they merchandise for G'98 stopped and G2K started production, there was no point in having two logos for one trademark, and the G'98 franchise's future was pretty much dead at that point.

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:So over the past month, I've fallen in love with the Godzilla 98 design. Contrary to what others say, I see it as a suitable Godzilla. Notice I said "design", just the design. Of course changes are still needed, most pressing is the stace, do away with the full on theropod look, and Godzilla begins to shine through.

So I'm curious. If the 98 movie had the same creature design, but had a more upright stance, thrashed the military, and had atomic breath, would you have liked the design then?
I imagine that it would have been more like Zilla during the sequence where the monster attacks Sydney; under the control of the Xiliens, it was quite a terrifying kaiju that caused a great deal of destruction. Since Zilla is never allowed free will during Final Wars, it's hard to say what the kaiju's actual personality was like, but it's reasonable to speculate that Zilla's personality was similar to that of the Tristar Godzilla's; more inclined to run than fight, with more speed and cunning than brute force.

I recall seeing a piece of concept art by Patrick Tatopoulos that showed the 98 Godzilla standing upright and shooting fire from its mouth. The script of the movie called for something very different, but had the character been written more like the classic Godzilla the design may have gone over better with fans.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

Does anyone has the promotional cards?
I belive there is one with G98 standing more vertical in a building in construction and shooting the atomic breath (BLUE) to a nerby helicopter

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I think this was the one they presented the design to Toho with, a least I think that's how it was referred to as in a documentary I saw recently.
I can't really blame Patrick for the design. Emmerich wanted a Godzilla that could move fast, with a modern zing to it, and he obeyed his boss. At least he tried to incorporate some of the classic Godzilla into the design, even though some parts were dropped in the final film.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I thought a fast and slim Godzilla was the request of Toho. I swore I read that on a concept art image or something.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:I thought a fast and slim Godzilla was the request of Toho. I swore I read that on a concept art image or something.
First time I've heard of that. Then again, fans have always been spitting out false accusations about Toho's part in this, I'm not sure what started where.
I do know Devlin said Toho was taken aback for a bit when the first saw the design, but later they said they loved it. Devlin isn't exactly the most trusting source either though.
Youtube is filled with these little vintage featurettes that were not included with the home video releases.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

Now thats a G 98 worthy of toho
The design (like it or not) isn't a bad kaiju desin, in fact it isn't a bad Godzilla design, well yeah he is to dinosaur like, but just make him more uprigth and Bam Its a nice take on our beloved King of the monsters.
But the plot requiered a easy to harm big runing creature so thebeast become hated for most of the eternity for the fans :/

Godzilla 2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla 2000 »

Janjira-York wrote:Now thats a G 98 worthy of toho
The design (like it or not) isn't a bad kaiju desin, in fact it isn't a bad Godzilla design, well yeah he is to dinosaur like, but just make him more uprigth and Bam Its a nice take on our beloved King of the monsters.
Nope, it'd still be pretty awful.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Janjira-York wrote:Now thats a G 98 worthy of toho
But the plot requiered a easy to harm big runing creature so thebeast become hated for most of the eternity for the fans :/
I have the same mentality.

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

Thanks Starsteam; that was the image I was referring to.

I still wouldn't have been crazy about the design if the film had been more like a Toho Godzilla movie; I much prefer the design for the Legendary Godzilla, which proves that you can update a classic kaiju with modern special effects without having to radically redesign the 'man in a suit' look. Still, for what it is, isn't not a bad monster design. I do think that the problems with the 98 film have more to do with the convoluted script, derivative action scenes, and odd casting choices (and odd tone; the film is very much a comedy).

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Tyler wrote:
Maverick Centigrade wrote:I thought a fast and slim Godzilla was the request of Toho. I swore I read that on a concept art image or something.
That's definitely not true. Toho's only requests were simple (obvious) things like 3 rows of fins, 4 claws, atomic origins, etc. Still D&E managed to squirm their way out of a lot of those thanks to ID4... their idea was to reinvent Godzilla/ generic monster lizard from the ground up.
generic? eh, maybe not. but to reinvent Godzilla as a lizard beast? yes. yes indeedee.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

I dont bother the iguana origin, I really dont have a problem with this incarnation at all
Hell I migth dislike GMK foji more than this design wise, but over all I accept every godzilla incarnation as interpretetions of the character.

But I really hate G98's tail tip, eught! its like showa

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Janjira-York wrote:I dont bother the iguana origin, I really dont have a problem with this incarnation at all
Hell I migth dislike GMK foji more than this design wise, but over all I accept every godzilla incarnation as interpretetions of the character.

very good. i'm not huge on GMK Godzilla, either. but...can you elaborate on the "tail" bit?
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Tyler wrote:
That's definitely not true. Toho's only requests were simple (obvious) things like 3 rows of fins, 4 claws, atomic origins, etc. Still D&E managed to squirm their way out of a lot of those thanks to ID4... their idea was to reinvent Godzilla/ generic monster lizard from the ground up.
Hm, after some thought. I think I read that Emmerich and Devlin were trying to persuade ton
Toho that fast and slim was doable.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

three wrote:
Janjira-York wrote:I dont bother the iguana origin, I really dont have a problem with this incarnation at all

very good. i'm not huge on GMK Godzilla, either. but...can you elaborate on the "tail" bit?
With pleasure

The tail of G'98 and showa godzilla ends in a '')'' form, in the showa looks somewhat ugly because it emphasises the ''fat'' and shorter tail.

Heisei also has it but the more big (in comparation) body, smaller head and longer tail,it dosn't look bad.

G 98 ... well is a iguana I'll think it will get a more lizard-like tail

Millenim goji is allrigth

Kind of nitpicking? maybe but its really nothing important just want to point it out, after all is part of this design

three
Keizer

Post by three »

no, because thinking about it i can actually see what you mean. i'm for a slimmer, more pointed tail that isn't so stubby at the end.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

three wrote:no, because thinking about it i can actually see what you mean. i'm for a slimmer, more pointed tail that isn't so stubby at the end.
Thats why Im not a fan of some showa suits, while someones can blend it in a good way like 64 and 55, others like Destroy all monster's suit, son of godzilla's suit and 73 makes it atrocius obius.

Heisei blends well, but for myself my favorite designs are most of the millenium(excluding GMK, for me it falls in the category of great design but not for me) and Legendary

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

Starsteam wrote: http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab43 ... oncept.png

I think this was the one they presented the design to Toho with, a least I think that's how it was referred to as in a documentary I saw recently.
I can't really blame Patrick for the design. Emmerich wanted a Godzilla that could move fast, with a modern zing to it, and he obeyed his boss. At least he tried to incorporate some of the classic Godzilla into the design, even though some parts were dropped in the final film.
Looking over in the corner of the image, I can clearly see it's date being 1996; two years before the movie release, so it probably was at least one of the images that Emmerich and Tatopolous showed to Toho during pre-production.

Generally, from what I understand, you start making concept art for a film (basically, you begin the pre-production phase) two or three years before you intend to release it; concept art for Jurassic Park was being made in 1991 (and likely in 1990, as well), while the movie was released in 1993, as an example. Generally concept art can/may/will contain cut material from a film, so it's possible that the 1998 film was going to be a different animal to what we got had the early stages been kept and utilized (atomic breath, for instance).
It also seems like Zilla was going to be somewhere around 80-90 metres tall and 120-130 metres long, as opposed to the final version's 60 metres tall and 100 metres long at some point; or maybe it's just a dramatic pose. :p
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Who else really likes 98's roar? It's different yeah, but it has a certain charm and primal sound to it that makes me like it a good bit.

#BotM

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Godzilla165 wrote:Who else really likes 98's roar? It's different yeah, but it has a certain charm and primal sound to it that makes me like it a good bit.
Never sounded all that bad to me. Distinctly Godzilla and recognizable.