Monster Discussion: American Godzilla '98/Zilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Starsteam
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion: American Godzilla '98/Zilla

Post by Starsteam »

Saansilt wrote:Well Junior is a very different monster in terms of capabilities...
And we're discussing him here now, aren't we?

This actually brings me to something I thought about G'98 and GtS. We know the two are connected but loosely. Nick turns from wormy wimp to super-serious scientist, and many of the other characters change slightly from their movie counterparts. Not to mention the ending to the live-action movie was altered some in the first episode of the animated series. How do we know that the new Godzilla has different capabilities from its parent? What if the character changed too, but we only got to see the changes through the second Godzilla. We only see the parent very briefly at the beginning on the first episode, and again as Cyber-Godzilla which did have a blue breath attack that may or may have not been added by the Tachyons. The only difference that the characters note is that the new one doesn't reproduce asexually. Everything else seemed pretty expected.

Plus the supposed sequel to the movie ignored the series, similar to how Ghostbusters II ignores The Real Ghostbusters.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I remembered there was a long discussion over the "Godzilla/Zilla" debate and thought the Unmade Godzilla articles we've recently run on SciFi Japan would be relevant since they directly address that topic.

Catching up this thread I just read the hilarious posts by KManX89 in which he wrote...

Not to mention: Keith Aiken worked with Sony on the 98 movie, so his credibility on this issue is stained right off the bat.

Bottom line is: you have an (ex?) exec of Sony's word who A)worked on the 98 movie (oh yes, no bias there at all )

that >>>>>>>a guy associated with Toho who worked on the 98 movie

a third party guy who worked with Sony on the 98 movie

a guy who worked with Sony on the 98 movie

Unfortunately for KMan, there's a slight problem with these statements... namely they're 100% false. First of all, Sony's GODZILLA was released on May 19, 1998 and I was hired by Sony Pictures Family Entertainment that July. So not only did I not work on the 1998 movie, I wasn't even a studio employee (or living in Los Angeles) at the time it was made. Also, I worked for a division of Sony Pictures that made family programming for television, not theatrical feature films.

Secondly, in my time at Sony I was a storyboard cleanup artist, a storyboard artist, a storyboard crew supervisor and did a little assistant directing (basically finishing episodes for directors who were busy with other assignments). Despite KMan's claims, none of these were executive positions at the studio.

So what it boils down to is that KManX89 was either a) lying or b) wrong again and again because he didn't have a clue what he was talking about. So much for credibility... :lol:

At Sony I was an artist for the animated show GODZILLA: THE SERIES. Before that, I was an artist for the Dark Horse Godzilla comics. And after G:TS, I did publicity for Rialto Pictures' 50th anniversary release of the original GODZILLA, worked with the American Cinematheque and Toho on the 50th Anniversary Godzilla film festival in Hollywood, was asked by Toho to help promote the world premiere of FINAL WARS (which included a 1-on-1 interview with Shogo Tomiyama where we discussed, among other things, Toho's handling of the American Godzilla) and provided an audio commentary and bonus content for the British Film Institute's DVD release of GODZILLA '54. And if you've bought a kaiju/tokusatsu movie on American DVD or Blu-ray in the past 10 years there's a very good chance I was involved in some way as a consultant or doing commentaries or supplying materials, writing cover copy, tracking down film materials; fact-checking, etc... my credits include the Classic Media DVDs of the Showa Godzilla movies, RODAN and WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS; Media Blasters' FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD, DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (the home video and TV versions now have my name in the same credit scroll as Ishiro Honda and Eiji Tsuburaya!) and GODZILLA VS MEGALON; WAR IN SPACE and SAYONARA JUPITER from Discotek Media; Criterion's GODZILLA Blu-ray and DVD (I gave a minor assist); GODZILLA VS BIOLLANTE from Echo Bridge; and Mill Creek's Gamera and Daimajin series Blu-rays; and even the Australian DVD of FINAL WARS from Madman.

For anyone to claim I have a G'98 "bias" because I was "a Sony exec who worked on the movie" is laughably moronic. Not only is it not true, it ignores the fact that I've worked with Toho and their licensees on dozens of Godzilla projects released on 3 different continents over the past 22 years. G:TS was a single project I worked 17 years ago, and everything else I've done Godzilla-related has involved the Toho version and films. I also have been very lucky over that time to get to know and become friends with many people at Toho and the various companies they've worked with, and be able to learn firsthand how the Godzilla rights are handled in regards to merchandising, events, remake options, etc. It's amazing what you can learn what you talk directly to the people in charge of these matters or see contracts and corporate documents.

Getting back to my original reason of coming to this thread, anyone who is interested in the official word from Toho and Sony on the G'98 copyright can find the information in the "Aftermath" chapter of the SFJ article...

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2015 ... rt-4-of-4/

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Ouch talk about getting wrecked. :lol:
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Had it been more faithful to Godzilla instead of just having the name I'd probably would like the film and monster more. Yes I'd still have a problem with the design but at least that would be the only or one of few problems instead of one of many.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I actually like the design overall. Looks particularly impressive in animated form.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

It's not a bad design, it's just not Godzilla, know what I'm saying? But had he and his film been more like the source marital I'd probably only have a beef with his design and that's it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Living Corpse wrote:It's not a bad design, it's just not Godzilla, know what I'm saying? But had he and his film been more like the source marital I'd probably only have a beef with his design and that's it.
Agreed 100%. A lot of people do complain about Zilla not being faithful but if he was I think it would have been worse. If he was anymore similar to Godzilla it would be more difficult to separate the two characters.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That's the trouble with trying to reinvent a character. When it looks completely different, it can be hard to accept by some fans. The design was vert animalistic, which I didn't mind, but it just didn't seem like Godzilla. GTS Zilla,however, did seem like Godzilla.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

it wasn't a bad design at all IMO. weird and perhaps too inspired by JP, but not bad.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

American Godzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by American Godzilla »

I didn't mind the theropod form, the Heisei Gojira's origins were a dinosaurs so it would make some sense to have it capable of being in theropod stance. However I do agree that it had problems. 200 eggs, really? Why not one (or even two) giant hatchlings to be more like Minilla or something? Plus the movie should have been more like it's cartoon counterpart, a more faithful Gojira design/abilities/personality (naturally changing the movie's plotline and ending).
I'm a believe of God and Jesus Christ my saviour and not afraid to say so.
Although I'm not against giving freedom to same-sex couples/marriage (as America is supposed to be free), as a Christian (which the Bible describes as a sin) and me personally I don't care/desire/agree with same sex couples/marriage.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

One or two kids is a threat. Two hundred on the loose could spread them all over the world and possibly take over the planet. It was a bigger threat.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Rewatching both of these recently... it really is unfair to label '98 and Zilla the same monster. There are similarities, to be sure- but Zilla is a much lumpier, uglier, less-detailed kaiju (a result of scanning in a toy for the model, iirc), and he lacks any evidence of the power breath, or personality, of the '98. (I mean, I get having a single thread for both, don't get me wrong; I'm just talking about the fan practice of calling the '98 'Zilla' and acting like they're the exact same).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm going to - gasp! - take a very different stance from Zarm's on this one.

I'd say it's pretty clear that the audience is intended to recognize Zilla in GFW as the creature from the '98 film.

And in the '98 film, that creature was Godzilla.

Thus, GFW features two Godzillas.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Ignore me, I misread what you said.
Last edited by Maritonic on Fri May 31, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I mean, I think that was the clear intent. I'm just saying I don't think that's a fair assessment; it's like considering Mayor Ebert an actual screen apprentice of Roger Ebert. Sure, it was clearly intended to be him for mockery's sake... but it was a shallow enough knock-off that I don't think you could call it a portrayal of the same person.

To my mind, there was just a lot more to the '98; counting them as both the same entity isn't fair to the work put into the original. Zilla is like the over-exaggerated, SNL version of a real-world figure, rather than an actual appearance of the figure themselves.

(Plus, you know, he's definitely a separate copyrighted character named Zilla in that film; so either way, GFW at best features two characters meant to evoke Godzilla, although one of them definitively isn't).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:Zilla is like the over-exaggerated, SNL version of a real-world figure, rather than an actual appearance of the figure themselves.
This take makes more sense to me than the Mayor Ebert comparison, although I'd suggest a third option, which is that this is like an exaggerated SNL version of a fictional character. If SNL does a sketch featuring James Bond, it is certainly not an official and canonical appearance of the character of James Bond, but in the context of that sketch it is still James Bond.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

Just a shower thought I had after watching this movie.
This Godzilla is one of the more dangerous Godzillas. I don't mean in durability and ability obviously.I think any kaiju could beat this Godzilla.
I am talking about how fast it reproduces. Nick says the species is born pregnant and the nest in new york had 200 eggs. If the young had managed to escape and create nests on their own the world would be quickly overrun by thousands of this Godzilla.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster