Rebirth of Mothra 3

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Rebirth of Mothra 3

Post by HedorahLives »

I know this trilogy is somewhat reviled, but I liked pretty much all of them. The first two are guilty pleasures, but I'd hold up Mothra 3 as a legit, underrated Kaiju flick. I feel like the dramatic arch of the trilogy appropriately came to a head (the feud between the tiny sisters) and Mothra Leo really got put through the ringer. True, the time travel storyline is probably the most senseless Toho ever produced (I still maintain that Godzilla vs King Ghidorah's problem is that it just didn't explain itself very well. Mothra 3, on the other hand, is truly senseless and almost dream logic), but I like the epic scope of the film. I'll also admit that the prehistoric larvas cocooning the dying Mothra Leo is one of my favorite Kaiju scenes and though Armor Mothra is very over-the-top....**shrug** it was insane and I liked it.

Also, of course....Grand King Ghidorah. Maybe my favorite incarnation of the character ever. He feeds on children and bends good fairies to his will. He wipes out entire species whenever he feels like it. If giant moths bother him, he'll kill the crap out of it. Try to go back in time and wipe him from existence? He'll just will himself back into existence and, man, will he be pissed. Clearly, Grand King Ghidorah is the Chuck Norris of all kaiju. He just oozes excellence.

The human characters were decent this time around. The male lead had some deeper psychological problems than the film will discuss, but aiding giant moths in saving the world was clearly enough to make them seem insignificant. Also, the english dub has a few knee slappers---most notably our hero sassing his mom over her poor cooking choices and his father later cooly chiding his wife, "you should've used the belt on him more."

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Re: Rebirth of Mothra 3

Post by Hedorah »

When all 3 of these were shown on Sci-Fi I recorded them and watched them, but this one was by far my favorite, GKG was such a badass! And Armor Mothra just raged all over him at the end, it was awesome in my opinion.
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

ROMIII is the best of the ROM trilogy, but that doesn't say much, since that trilogy sucked. The only thing that makes this one better than the other two is that the plot is somewhat different with the time travel element, and the fights scenes getting better. Oh, and King Ghidorah.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Grand King Ghidorah alone makes this film worth watching.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GKG was an impressive kaiju. It looked like pure evil. The film is watchable, but not as a good as the others.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

ROM 3 was the first one I saw in the series. I remember getting the VHS and being absolutely enamored. Mostly i just liked the Elias' songs. Especially Moll's. I tried watching them again, but I couldn't really sit through them. I think i grew up from them. But if anything, would say this is the best, perhaps it is just because it has history with me, but all I know is that I didn't like the first one and the second one was slightly better.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

ROM3 is IMO the second best of the trilogy behind the first one. The SFX are ok with Super Dragon King Ghidorah being a cool creation along with the most varieties of Mothra in both larvae and imago present. The human scenes are directed little better than No. 2's but not that much. The music is a very awesome thing though. I don't care who says the Alias singing was bad, I liked it. Especialy how one of them was pretty much awesomely synched up with what we thought was KG's demise into the volcano. The content isn't as thick but the style is pretty good.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

g2kmaster wrote:The music is a very awesome thing though. I don't care who says the Alias singing was bad, I liked it.
Now this I fully agree with. In fact, I thought the song to send Leo back in time was the greatest of any of the Mothra songs (it's the only vocal Mothra track to make it on my iPod in fact).
If it bites... don't mess with it!

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

Speaking of the kaiju element, I also like how the Mothra trilogy makes good use of the kaiju themselves being a bringer of the dramatic element in the film where as it is usualy the human element that does. Mothra Leo in larvae film trying to pull up his mother, the great coreography of the Mothra Leo (in raimbow form) vs. Cretaceous Ghidorah (Especialy the end which is synced up with Haora Mothra song), and accouple of other key scenes are pretty good.

Jesse
Samurai

Post by Jesse »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Which AM mothra concept art desgin did you like the most? I like this one.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/concept_art/ ... ra_15.html
If Mothra is in the LP Gojira movie, I could definitely see this as the design.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

Any place I can get the English version? I watched it on Crackle as long as I could and got hooked into the English dub. The dub is never as good as the Japanese original, but I don't know Japanese at all and want to hear English.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Legion1979 wrote:What's wrong with subtitles?
Sometimes you just want to hear your own language in a Kaiju film. I could live with subtitles I guess.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Grand King Ghidorah! That name is just awesome. It's kinda peculiar he did not appear I'n a Godzilla movie but hey, whatever. GKG just pisses excellence!

Sadly I have barely seen anything thing from the movie other than a few scenes of Mothra and GKG fighting
Resized Image

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

I hope a english dub of ROM3 is released.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ assume you mean a home video release? ROM 3 has been dubbed.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

I actually loved this film, and not just grand ghidi of armor mothra,, but unlike the other two RoM films, I actually felt like the Earth was threatened and that the bad guy had won, don't get me wrong, I love the hell out of DeathGhidorah and Dagarla, but in their films you never feel like anyone but Mothra is threatened.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Rody wrote:^ assume you mean a home video release? ROM 3 has been dubbed.
Where can I find it then?
GodzillaFreak99 wrote:I actually loved this film, and not just grand ghidi of armor mothra,, but unlike the other two RoM films, I actually felt like the Earth was threatened and that the bad guy had won, don't get me wrong, I love the hell out of DeathGhidorah and Dagarla, but in their films you never feel like anyone but Mothra is threatened.
Same here. ROM 3 was the best!

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Sadly there are some crappy scenes when the monsters are flying around fighting.....
Resized Image

kiryu42red
Interpol Agent

Post by kiryu42red »

yeah, english dub is terrible

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

While english dub is bad in any Kaiju film, I've gotten so used to the english, that I want to get the film in english dub. And Rebirth of Mothra 1 & 2 are both english dub. And when I watch a film, I watch in english. Unless it's the original Gojira. ;)