Monster Discussion #43: King Ghidorah (Heisei)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Viva la revolucion!
Samurai

Re: Something in GvKG I Realized

Post by Viva la revolucion! »

I think thwe power blast is stronger than the blue beam breath so when Ghidorah got hit it was worse than the battle.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tamura wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:On the same subject, has anyone else noticed the door sign in the same movie that reads: Super Scientific Play-Room? I thought i was imagining things when I first saw it last night.
Pics or it didn't happen.
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/856/img0308c.jpg

I don't lie about these things. ;)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Seriously, that is funny. I'd expect that in a Showa Gamera film, but '90's Godzilla?? :lol:

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

"Well, there goes our grant money." - Half-Life Scientist.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Even scientist need to have fun once in a while.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

^ And not just any kind of Fun...SUPER FUN!
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

You could take the multiverse theory even farther than that, but things would eventually get ridiculous. An Earth without oxygen is plausible, though. If microbes hadn't produced it as a waste product and saturated the atmosphere, we'd be breathing something else.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Tamura wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:On the same subject, has anyone else noticed the door sign in the same movie that reads: Super Scientific Play-Room? I thought i was imagining things when I first saw it last night.
Pics or it didn't happen.
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/856/img0308c.jpg

I don't lie about these things. ;)
LOL, thanx! I knew you weren't lying, I'm just playing on the fact that sometimes this fandom is full of talk with little visual proof to add to the discussion. How long did it take for the Brad Pitt WOTG reflection to show up on YouTube, again? It's not that big a deal, but still... I want my John Belushi in a Godzilla suit! :mad:

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

Your all wrong. In the movie the new Godzilla is made of modern nuclear weapons, and that's why he is bigger & stronger and can blow the crap out of KG.
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

SJM925
E.S.P.Spy

Post by SJM925 »

antovald20 wrote:Your all wrong. In the movie the new Godzilla is made of modern nuclear weapons, and that's why he is bigger & stronger and can blow the crap out of KG.
No.

No.

NONONONO.

Read the sticky'd thread and rethink what you just said.

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

Oops. :oops: I haven't seen GvsKG in a looooog time. For some reason i thought godzilla fought King Ghidorah twice.

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

^I know i know, i thought that G fought KG twice then MKG. Oh! And thanks for not destroying me, for forgetting that.

Finalwar22
Monarch Researcher

Re: Monster Discussion #43: King Ghidorah (Heisei)

Post by Finalwar22 »

He was my least favorite version, but i did like the sound that he made.
Oh boy, now Godzilla is an anime and Ultraman has become Kamen Rider. What next?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I liked how he looks but he didn't feel as threatening than in his original appearance.
Not sure if for these types of things we can't bring up second forms but MKG is awesome and I'm sad we'll probably never see him again. By far one of the most out there upgrades and changes to Godzilla continuity.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Finalwar22
Monarch Researcher

Post by Finalwar22 »

I have to agree MKG was the best version of King Ghidorah, but he walked too slow.
Oh boy, now Godzilla is an anime and Ultraman has become Kamen Rider. What next?

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

G-FAN#108 had a rather cool article, story entitled KING GHIDORAH AT 50 !!! written by German G-Fan , Florian Bahr. It went into all of the King of Terror's movie ,and television appearance, and little bit of the screen origins of King Ghidorah in his Heisei Era debut. Godzilla producer, Tomoyuki Tanaka, original idea for the for the origins of the creatures that made up the Ghidorah, the Dorats, was that they were engineered from the DNA of the body of the real King Ghidorah. Whose remains were supposed to be discovered on the surface of Venus I the 23rd Century at the flick's beginning. Then cell samples were collected, and from those samples the Dorats were collected. But the flick's director, Kazuki Omori, thought Ghidorah's space based origins were a little too out there, and just went with the more "sensible" created from the fusion of the Dorats from nuclear testing. Tanaka was planning to use his original idea for the Dorats' genesis as the basis of his originally planned follow up to GODZILLA Vs. KING GHIDORAH, The Return of King Ghidorah. In which the original, real King Ghidorah comes down from space, lays siege to the planet ,and has the inevitable throw down with the Big-G.

One thing that I like about King Ghidorah, even cut off from the control of his Futrian masters, still is quite a challenge to Godzilla. As we saw the slimmer necked Ghidorah darn near strangled the life out of Godzilla. Until the Big-G pulled out his back up plan of his Nuclear Pulse which injured King Ghidorah's center neck enough to deliver the coup de grace of finally severing King Ghidorah's head with his oral beam.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

So I decided to watch this gem the other night as I have not seen a Godzilla movie since G14. A little background on this film for me, this is the first film that introduced me to the Heisei era. I remember being at a Wherehouse video (anyone remember those?) and seeing “Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah” on VHS. There was some shiny new box art, KG and Godzilla had nice looking updated looks. I assumed they had just repackaged and renamed “Ghidrah The Three Headed Monster” into this video. After doing some investigating and reading the box, I realized this was in fact a BRAND NEW movie I had never seen before. Like any Godzilla fan at the time I lost my shit and made my mom purchase it for me (I was only 13 or 14 at the time, so $ was in short supply).

This movie was confusing when I was a young teen and it’s still confusing as an adult. All the plot holes and wonky time travel mechanics have been discussed in great length so I won’t get into them. Here are my top 5 moments:

1. Godzilla blowing away Shindo. Like many I did not see that coming. I like when Godzilla is the bad guy and this solidified to me that this new 100 meter beast was taking no prisoners.
2. Final fight with MKG. For me this battle basically showed how powerful
Godzilla has become. Even with MKG using every last trick in the book Godzilla still survives the battle and must be dropped into the sea again.
3. First fight with KG. I loved the brutality of it. Godzilla almost being strangled to death, KG’s head being blown off, KG stomping on Godzilla’s face.
4. Godzilla coming ashore at Hokkaido. Very excited to get the X-Plus figure coming out soon.
5. Kenji Sahara!!

Top 5 worst moments:

1. M-11 “running/skiing/skating” scene. Oh boy. I asked (forced) my fiancé to watch this movie with me so I could get an outsiders perspective since I view these films with a bias perspective. This scene started an uncontrollable laughter from her that didn’t abate for a good 2 minutes. I know you are supposed to suspend logic in these movies but if M-11 is that fast why does he even need a car? I realized at this point in the movie I needed to stop rationalizing things and just sit back and enjoy.
2. All the 1944 American soldier scenes were so bad. Terrible actors, even worse dialogue. I know we shouldn’t expect much from these guys but all the western actors in the Heisei films were horrible. Showa counterparts were much more believable.
3. KG not being a space monster. I did not like the Dorats origin. As I’m sure many others didn’t.
4. “Can it be true? Would Godzilla do that to us?” Really?
5. One thing that did bug me is the noticeable difference between the Godzilla suit and either the head puppet or whatever they used for the close up shots. Godzilla looked drunk in some of the close up shots. I know this has happened all throughout the series but it bothered me.

A few more takeaways-

Toho really knows how to do a title card scene. Seeing Godzilla and KG about to face off really got me excited for this movie. Which was somewhat disappointing since we wouldn’t see Godzilla in action for another hour.

I wish we had been told how the Godzillasaurus had survived for millions of years.

I love the continuity in the Heisei films. I know these movies have a lot of
flaws but I like how the story spanned 7 films. I love how this movie acknowledges that Godzilla was basically stopped by the anti-nuclear bacteria from Biollante but of course that all changed.

So much head nodding in this movie.

1:19:01- Not so fast you.

The shots of Godzilla in Sapporo remind me of Ed G’s The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Godzilla. I believe the shot of him in the city next to the tower is the cover of the book.

KG’s and MKG’s wings are just not Godzilla proof.

Why did Wilson and Co bring Emmy along if she was a distant relative of Teresawa? Didn’t they know that made her a liability and stood a pretty good chance of feeling sympathy for Japan and her distant family?

Fun movie, but a little overrated IMO. I rank it 4th in the Heisei series.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Godzilla21 wrote:Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

So I decided to watch this gem the other night as I have not seen a Godzilla movie since G14. A little background on this film for me, this is the first film that introduced me to the Heisei era. I remember being at a Wherehouse video (anyone remember those?) and seeing “Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah” on VHS. There was some shiny new box art, KG and Godzilla had nice looking updated looks. I assumed they had just repackaged and renamed “Ghidrah The Three Headed Monster” into this video. After doing some investigating and reading the box, I realized this was in fact a BRAND NEW movie I had never seen before. Like any Godzilla fan at the time I lost my shit and made my mom purchase it for me (I was only 13 or 14 at the time, so $ was in short supply).

This movie was confusing when I was a young teen and it’s still confusing as an adult. All the plot holes and wonky time travel mechanics have been discussed in great length so I won’t get into them. Here are my top 5 moments:

1. Godzilla blowing away Shindo. Like many I did not see that coming. I like when Godzilla is the bad guy and this solidified to me that this new 100 meter beast was taking no prisoners.
2. Final fight with MKG. For me this battle basically showed how powerful
Godzilla has become. Even with MKG using every last trick in the book Godzilla still survives the battle and must be dropped into the sea again.
3. First fight with KG. I loved the brutality of it. Godzilla almost being strangled to death, KG’s head being blown off, KG stomping on Godzilla’s face.
4. Godzilla coming ashore at Hokkaido. Very excited to get the X-Plus figure coming out soon.
5. Kenji Sahara!!

Top 5 worst moments:

1. M-11 “running/skiing/skating” scene. Oh boy. I asked (forced) my fiancé to watch this movie with me so I could get an outsiders perspective since I view these films with a bias perspective. This scene started an uncontrollable laughter from her that didn’t abate for a good 2 minutes. I know you are supposed to suspend logic in these movies but if M-11 is that fast why does he even need a car? I realized at this point in the movie I needed to stop rationalizing things and just sit back and enjoy.
2. All the 1944 American soldier scenes were so bad. Terrible actors, even worse dialogue. I know we shouldn’t expect much from these guys but all the western actors in the Heisei films were horrible. Showa counterparts were much more believable.
3. KG not being a space monster. I did not like the Dorats origin. As I’m sure many others didn’t.
4. “Can it be true? Would Godzilla do that to us?” Really?
5. One thing that did bug me is the noticeable difference between the Godzilla suit and either the head puppet or whatever they used for the close up shots. Godzilla looked drunk in some of the close up shots. I know this has happened all throughout the series but it bothered me.

A few more takeaways-

Toho really knows how to do a title card scene. Seeing Godzilla and KG about to face off really got me excited for this movie. Which was somewhat disappointing since we wouldn’t see Godzilla in action for another hour.

I wish we had been told how the Godzillasaurus had survived for millions of years.

I love the continuity in the Heisei films. I know these movies have a lot of
flaws but I like how the story spanned 7 films. I love how this movie acknowledges that Godzilla was basically stopped by the anti-nuclear bacteria from Biollante but of course that all changed.

So much head nodding in this movie.

1:19:01- Not so fast you.

The shots of Godzilla in Sapporo remind me of Ed G’s The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Godzilla. I believe the shot of him in the city next to the tower is the cover of the book.

KG’s and MKG’s wings are just not Godzilla proof.

Why did Wilson and Co bring Emmy along if she was a distant relative of Teresawa? Didn’t they know that made her a liability and stood a pretty good chance of feeling sympathy for Japan and her distant family?

Fun movie, but a little overrated IMO. I rank it 4th in the Heisei series.
I don't think either Wilson did that much background research on Emmy. Besides, Emmy didn't know she was a descendent of Teresawa until she did further research in her own time tracing her family tree.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Finalwar22
Monarch Researcher

Post by Finalwar22 »

Ok, if Wilson and his crew were so advanced why didn't they just use MKG in the first place.

AllPowersCombined
Ronin

Post by AllPowersCombined »

Do you treat Mecha-King Ghidorah as a separate entity? I think it can kinda go both ways. Technically, Ghidora's body was "alive" so maybe it was more than just a zombie, but then again, these monsters are so tough that spending two centuries on the bottom of the ocean may as well count as death. Especially since the cod temperature wsa the reason its body survived in the first place.