Monster Discussion #43: King Ghidorah (Heisei)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #43: King Ghidorah (Heisei)

Post by JVM »

The King of Terror's Heisei incarnation. I've always loved his design and his origin I love and hate at once. I kind of wish the film had a little more of him in action though.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion #43: King Ghidorah (Heisei)

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

My 3rd favourite KG, with my second favourite design. His design is basically a slightly, sharper, fiercer version of Tsuburaya's, and this I marginally prefer it. The origin is certainly creative. Dorats aside (and I actually don't see the big beef against them) its actually pretty awesome. Showa KG gets points for the cackle and being a threat of greater magnitude though.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Darkness
Interpol Agent

Post by Darkness »

I like the design and I don't mind the new origin. As I said in the Dorats discusson, it tied the origins of Godzilla and his arch nemesis, and it was an interesting new take. But the suit still suffers from a few things. I personally don't like the floppy horns or the Heisei's trademark slow flapping wings. But I do like this take on the character overall.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I think he looks fantastic. His origin could've been handled better, but eh well.

Overall just a BA looking monster and my fave looking KG that starred in a Godzilla movie.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

This Ghidorah looked good, and the fight with Godzilla was better than average. The removal of the manes and head design reminded me more of the European dragon, though.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I think it's the best design for King Ghidorah. They even got rid of the ugly mane.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I love the design. Too bad they didn't give him proper, non-pube-like manes. And I really don't mind the cackle. I think it fits Ghidorah pretty well.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Not bad design by any means, but his execution was pretty poor (mostly when flying...that flying prop does not look good in motion), and the heads on the suit looked entirely took big for how lanky and skinny the necks were. The manes were missed, but they wouldn't have looked good on this particular Ghidorah design, IMOHO (especially not with the straightened horn designs).

Overall, a pretty good design, but with less than stellar execution. Biggest downsides were the lame roar and complete lack of any of the sound effects from the original King Ghidorah. So this particular Ghidorah gets a big fat zero for sound design. The origin was also pretty weak, and not executed well at all.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Dr. Nishiyama
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dr. Nishiyama »

I love Godzilla VS King Ghidorah, but I found Ghidorah to be the worst thing about it with its new origin (how can a 50s nuclear blast mutate and merge three tiny creatures into a 150 meter plus kaiju when all it did to the original Godzilla was boost his height up to 50 meters)

Also, Kawakita's execution of the monster is GOD AWFUL. Replacing its iconic roar with a modified Rodan's because he felt it wasn't "scary enough", how stiff the models and suit are, how slow Ghidorah flies in some scenes, the sparky explosions its gravity beams creates, the big heads on malnourished necks that are poorly manipulated by wires, the poorly executed first battle....

I was so disappointed this King Ghidorah didn't act or behave like the original or even the AWESOME rendition of him on the poster art for the film.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I'm growing fonder and fonder of the origin, just because of how absurd it is. It still doesn't come close to the original Planet Destroyer; I mean comeon, how badass do you have to be to burn a genetically inherited fear into a species so deep, it can still resurface after that race has gone extinct?

Not only is the missing roar a big problem, but just the really weak sound design for this monster in general. The original Ghidorah had warbling UFO sounds as he flew, his gravity beams made distinct sounds, and he had three variations on the cackle.

Now we have some standard beam noises, he swoops around, and he has a weird Rodan-ish roar that doesn't really have a lot of variations. Major, major letdown and pretty much unacceptable considering the time this version comes from.

Design-wise, it's generic. Doesn't really break any new ground, but is in no way extreme or blasphemous. It's fine. Has a great sub-dubed shade of gold, nice and huge like Ghidorah should be and spams beams. And he gives Godzilla a hell of a fight. Just as he needs to be.

I don't see enough design variations in either Showa/Heisei to really see any point in preferring one over the other. It pretty much comes down to whether or not you're a Heisei or Showa fan; the only major difference would be the superior sound design of the Showa one over the Heisei one.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

DrKaiju1954
G-Grasper

Post by DrKaiju1954 »

My least favorite King Ghidorah,he just looks lame and his roar sucks
"You're trespassing in my reality. Ask permission next time."

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Chris55 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
I miss the cackle but that a minor complaint, just kinda wish Toho just update the roar or make a new one instead of just slapping Rodan's on there and altering it a little.
And then use Rodan's roar for Battra in the next movie and then in the NEXT movie, Rodan actually shows up.
I don't remember Ghidorah using Rodan's exact roar, though I do remember him lacking his cackle. Would explain why the MKG Trendmasters toy has Rodan's roar though.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:
I don't remember Ghidorah using Rodan's exact roar, though I do remember him lacking his cackle. Would explain why the MKG Trendmasters toy has Rodan's roar though.

GvsKG91 had KG doing variations of Rodan's roar. It was pretty annoying
Ah, it's variations, explains why I didn't recognize it. Then again, GvKG91 was one of my first Toho movies so I might have just been too new to notice.

Silv
Ronin

Post by Silv »

I generally hate all the Heisei origins of all the old monsters, aside from Godzilla himself. King Ghidorah himself was flawed for a great many reasons. First off, he is the most iconic arch enemy of Godzilla. And yes, while they were rewriting all the monsters, you first had him in the Showa series as a destroyer of worlds. And then you had Godzilla, who was the defender of Earth. While Ghidorah had destroyed many worlds on his path, he just can't get passed Godzilla, and thus he constantly returns. Four times in the Showa series he appeared to try to destroy earth, each time being thwarted by Godzilla. The Godzilla vs Ghidorah/Planet Destroyer vs Earth Defender feud to me, is very similar and just as epic as the concept behind Superman vs. Brainiac.

His Heisei origin, first off was very weak. As was the entire plot and concept behind the movie in general. First off, you had the plot holes and continuity errors. When the dudes from the future warned about Godzilla destroying Japan, the Japanese people were so confused... "would Godzilla really do that?" And thus even more confused when the new Godzilla didn't seem "friendly." I mean, this was a sequel to GvBiollante correct? We have Miki returning from her role in that movie, where she clearly even makes a reference to events in that movie... where Godzilla was NOT a friendly creature. So why are they all of a sudden speaking of Godzilla as if he's once again Japan's #1 Benevolent Mascot?

But anyways, that's a tad off topic. Godzilla and King Ghidorah. Because of the new Ghidorah origin, and the new Godzilla origin for this film, their fight didn't seem to hold any real importance. They were basically two unstoppable destructive forces who just happened to get in each other's way and fight each other. And because of this fact, the viewer really doesn't know who to root for when Godzilla and King Ghidorah actually face off.

It was a nice try I guess...

However, I still think they could have done a much better job with King Ghidorah in the Heisei series, even with that silly origin. First off, he should have appeared in more than just one movie. And Mecha King Ghidorah... eh... perhaps never should have happened, however, it was an interesting idea, I'll give it that. But he DEFINITELY should have returned at some point in the Heisei series. And I feel, that the best film for this to have taken place would have been in Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla.

Imagine this concept if you will... Mecha King Ghidorah, laying at the bottom of the ocean, left for dead, missing one head that was salvaged to make Mecha Godzilla.... slowly over the years, regenerates, as he was not actually dead, just in a state of hybernation on the ocean floor. He finally is whole again, and seeks his revenge on Godzilla. However, he knows from beforehand that he cannot defeat Godzilla alone. Meanwhile, Space Godzilla's origin remains the same, as he is created in space, but has no real direction. King Ghidorah flies out to space as SG's contact from Earth, who in turn, guides SG back to Earth to defeat Godzilla and get his revenge. And then Godzilla and Mogera face both Space Godzilla AND King Ghidorah, or him in his Mecha form, if that's how he remains. It definitely would have given King Ghidorah more purpose in the Heisei series, and while he does not have the same origin as a space monster, still could have taken it back by traveling into space for reach Space Godzilla.

That to me possibly could have made Heisei King Ghidorah the BEST King Ghidorah yet written. His origin is fresh, but shadows of his bitter rivalry with Godzilla and his origins as a space monster would have still been seen.

gpulse90
G-Force Personnel

Post by gpulse90 »

The only complaint I have is the orgin. It was just another created monster. I wanted to see ancient planet destroyer. But I guess it was the Hesei series, it was inevitable. Aside from that it is actually what I consider the best design King Ghidorah could have. Also I think it should of had a more tough complexion. Hiding behind its wings and running from a fight is more or less cowardly.
I've been listening to my gut since I was 14 years old, and frankly speaking, I've come to the solution that my guts have sh¡t for brains!

Check out Yamato(it's still developing!) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4984

Silv
Ronin

Post by Silv »

Yeah, his design, I really don't have much to say about. Him and Mothra are pretty much the closest to their Showa origins. Only thing notably different are the ears.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

People complain about Rodan's roars being recycled and altered for other monsters, but before even doing research, I only recognized Battra's cry as being one. It didn't matter to me then, and it still doesn't.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

[quote="Showa Gyaos"]People complain about ...quote]

its TK, get used to it -_-
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

People wanted Ghidorah to sound like the old Ghidorah. It's called nostalgia.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

And the best part about this is that Toho would modify KG's cry AGAIN in GMK. -_-
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.