Should Garuda return in a future movie and be it's own character?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Should Garuda return in a future movie and be it's own character?

Post by darthzilla99 »

I know Garuda was just another flying vehicle like the Super X, ect.. But I was wondering if you all would like to see it as it's own Mecha Kaiju.

I know some people have said they want Mecha-Rodan but I feel Garuda kind of already fits that role. Having said that, I don't think Garuda should be just a Mecha-Rodan. I would want it to have it's own unique mechanical bird design instead. Also, to differentiate from Mechagodzilla, I would have Garuda focus more on speed and precision than power imo. Like if it's fight Godzilla, it tries to avoid Godzilla's attacks while trying to hit his weakspots. Also, maybe to differentiate from being either another weapon humanity builds or another alien tech, have him be an ancient mech built by a lost civilization that humanity finds, tying it into the mythological legends of the past.

What's everyone's thoughts?
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

godjacob
Futurian

Re: Should Garuda return in a future movie and be it's own character?

Post by godjacob »

I don't think it would ever be much more than say the Super-X as you said; a special anti-Kaiju weapon that acts as the third party vs. Godzilla and whatever Kaiju it is facing in that current film. Still I always felt the Garuda had way more charm and character to it than Mechgodzilla of that continuity did so I would not be against it coming back.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

If this was, say. 1994 I'd say this would be a valid discussion of where the Garuda might go next.

It's 2022.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:28 am If this was, say. 1994 I'd say this would be a valid discussion of where the Garuda might go next.

It's 2022.
We just had varan, gorosaurus, and Titanosaurus more or less became Godzilla forms, a new kaiju that's a hybrid of Gabara and Baragon, and Kumonga with Megalon traits. Garuda returning is less weird.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:31 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:28 am If this was, say. 1994 I'd say this would be a valid discussion of where the Garuda might go next.

It's 2022.
We just had varan, gorosaurus, and Titanosaurus more or less became Godzilla forms, a new kaiju that's a hybrid of Gabara and Baragon, and Kumonga with Megalon traits. Garuda returning is less weird.
Popular classic monsters from older films returning in Singular Point, to me, is a lot less weird than revisiting a highly plot specific G-Force vehicle from a move made 30 years ago.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:48 am
darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:31 am

It's 2022.
Popular classic monsters from older films returning in Singular Point, to me, is a lot less weird than revisiting a highly plot specific G-Force vehicle from a move made 30 years ago.
The only kaiju of that list that is popular (in Japan) is Baragon. Titanosaurus is one of the least popular toho kaijus in japan. I would argue the Garuda vehicle (even if just a power up for Mechagodzilla) is more known to the japanese population than Gabara, Goro, Varan, and Titanosaurus on the basis of being in one of the more popular heisei movies in Japan and having an SH monsterarts figure. Kumonga prior to SP just had a cameo in GFW (one of the least liked Godzilla films in Japan).

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

There are quite a few flying mechs that Toho has created. Quite a few are on the forgettable side. I'd say Garuda would be among them, unless you keep it tied to Super Mechagodzilla. Remove that element and... I just don't find it as interesting as wanting to see the Gotengo or Super X (and later versions) return instead.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think the Super X is more likely to be rebooted, heck even the Gotengo.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Super Mechagodzilla is clearly far more popular in Japan than any of the Showa monsters that appeared in SP. Bringing back a mech related to SMG, from the obviously popular Heisei series, seems if anything more likely than what we got in SP.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Should it return? Maybe. I did like the mech, but it lacked personality and was there to give MG a power boost. Its own character? You could make it a bird mech, or a flying battleship, but it still wouldn't be a memorable mech. It really does nothing to distinguish itself from the SX program other than joining with MG.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Arbok wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:15 pm There are quite a few flying mechs that Toho has created. Quite a few are on the forgettable side. I'd say Garuda would be among them, unless you keep it tied to Super Mechagodzilla. Remove that element and... I just don't find it as interesting as wanting to see the Gotengo or Super X (and later versions) return instead.
Like I said, you could tie Garuda to the Thai (the name Garuda is based off Thai mythology) mythology aspect and just have him be an ancient Mech from a lost civilization rather than another human made mech or space alien made to keep it more unique. And not having a personality never stopped something from being love (Heisei Mechagodzilla and to a smaller extent heisei moguera).

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:26 pm Should it return? Maybe. I did like the mech, but it lacked personality and was there to give MG a power boost. Its own character? You could make it a bird mech...
Interestingly enough, Toho does have a bird mech called Gaurda:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/kaiju/tv/im ... da_ssg.htm
If it bites... don't mess with it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So, Garuda is a diety in hinduism, and a lot of Japanese fiction likes borrowing gods, names and concepts from them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garuda

This explains the name overlap.

One thing that I've always viewed, is Garuda being a parallel to Fire Rodan in the film. In the movie, both Garuda and Fire Rodan are around the same size, and flying things that fire a shit ton of beams. The climax of the film involves MG losing, before combining with Garuda and getting the upper hand on Godzilla. In a parallel reverse, Fire Rodan "combines" (gives energy, but same principle) to Godzilla. Fire Rodan is Godzilla's "Garuda", and the parallel exists. Garuda is the closest we'll get to a "Mecha-Rodan".
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Arbok wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:29 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:26 pm Should it return? Maybe. I did like the mech, but it lacked personality and was there to give MG a power boost. Its own character? You could make it a bird mech...
Interestingly enough, Toho does have a bird mech called Gaurda:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/kaiju/tv/im ... da_ssg.htm
I haven't watched the series, but I have seen videos of it on Youtube.

LSD has a good insight there. If Garuda does return, make it a MechaRodan.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I saw a really cool idea on DeviantArt to give the Garuda a humanoid mode transformation.
While I don't want a Mecha-Rodan, a flying machine based on the idea of " natural life vs inorganic life" from the earlier pitches of GvsMG2 could be cool. Self-repair and an A.I. capable of learning.