Heisei-ified Kaiju

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
LegendZilla
Sazer

Heisei-ified Kaiju

Post by LegendZilla »

Considering we have a thread like this for the Showa era, why not do the same for the Heisei era? What kaiju in the franchise would you be most interested in seeing a Heisei-style treatment? Also, how would you tie them into the Heisei continuity? As an example, I have come across an interesting take on a Heisei-era Skullcrawler :

Other kaiju I would be interested in seeing is Varan and Kong. That's only natural since they were featured in unused scripts for the era and it would be cool what ideas considered for them realized. Other than the obvious complaints over bodily proportions and reliance on energy-based projectiles, how do you imagine various kaiju being like in the Heisei continuity?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Heisei-ified Kaiju

Post by shadowgigan »

Oooh, this is tough. For some reason the first that comes to mind is Ebirah, which is funny because I almost never think about Ebirah.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Gigan, Megalon and Monster X as a trio.
For Emperor and Empire!

MamaMia2021
Ronin

Post by MamaMia2021 »

Voyager wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:52 pm Gigan, Megalon and Monster X as a trio.
I could see a Heisei Gigan looking a bit more like his Showa counterpart unlike the FW version.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I can easily see Megalon updated for the era. Megalon is already a beam spammer, and making him look more beetle like wouldn't be hard.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

None because they'd all just be immobile beam-spammers or flying beam-spammers that can't move a single body part except for their head.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Someone made art of a "VS Series" Gigan. Has a bit too many bells and whistles around the tail area, but certainly interesting.

(art)
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:15 pm Someone made art of a "VS Series" Gigan. Has a bit too many bells and whistles around the tail area, but certainly interesting.

(art)
Too thin, needs to be a lardass.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:51 pm Oooh, this is tough. For some reason the first that comes to mind is Ebirah, which is funny because I almost never think about Ebirah.
If Ebirah was given an update, then it would've been nice to see the monster be redesigned with a claw similar to a Pistol Shrimp. That claw would be a nasty weapon against Godzilla or submarines.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:13 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:51 pm Oooh, this is tough. For some reason the first that comes to mind is Ebirah, which is funny because I almost never think about Ebirah.
If Ebirah was given an update, then it would've been nice to see the monster be redesigned with a claw similar to a Pistol Shrimp. That claw would be a nasty weapon against Godzilla or submarines.
Why people would object to such an idea is beyond me.