Variety’s Animated Godzilla Film

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Voyager
Keizer

Variety’s Animated Godzilla Film

Post by Voyager »

In the late 1980s, Variety Magazine published a report that Toho would make an animated Godzilla movie, as a coproduction between Japan and the US. Not much is known, and I found out about it in a very informative video delving into the Godzilla franchise, from commonly known, to very obscure. It was set to be released in 1988, and would have Godzilla face against the gargantuas, as reported by the 45th issue of FilmFax. It was supposedly cancelled.

Anyone know anything about this movie? Any thoughts?

For Emperor and Empire!

UltramanGoji

Re: Variety’s Animated Godzilla Film

Post by UltramanGoji »

Never heard of it, but it sounds like an idea Saperstein had that didn't go beyond that. The fact it's not as widely known probably supports that theory.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It sounds similar to an idea proposed in 78. It also would have Godzilla facing one or more Gargantua, but it never went past the planning phase.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:53 pm Never heard of it, but it sounds like an idea Saperstein had that didn't go beyond that. The fact it's not as widely known probably supports that theory.
I agree with this.

Added in 31 minutes 20 seconds:
Voyager wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:24 pm I found out about it in a very informative [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrN55HYAwUA&t=4692s]video delving into
BTW, I gotta say this video is informative and fun. Many of the information is what I already knew through Wikizilla, but there are also things I didn't know.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Whatever it would have been, I just hope that the much wider window of animation would have allowed for a lot more creative opportunities.

Also, yours truly helped write a What If? as part of a larger alternate history project where this was actually made.
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/ ... t-21728561

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I read somewhere it was a concept Saperstein kicked around a whike until the Tristar deal superceded it in the early '90s.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone think a western-produced animated Godzilla film could happen one day?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:32 pm Does anyone think a western-produced animated Godzilla film could happen one day?
Erm, maybe. It would probably be done by a really notable animation studio like Disney or DreamWorks though, not an indie company

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:18 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:32 pm Does anyone think a western-produced animated Godzilla film could happen one day?
Erm, maybe. It would probably be done by a really notable animation studio like Disney or DreamWorks though, not an indie company
Disney is not going to make a Godzilla movie, dude.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:26 pm
Gigantis wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:18 pm
Disney is not going to make a Godzilla movie, dude.
Why not WB animation?