Should the Heisei continuity continue?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Should the Heisei continuity continue?

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:00 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:48 pm Would be interesting to see Megumi Odaka come back, somehow.
That's another argument for bringing the Heisei series back. She's been yearning to be able to do so for over 25 years now, so give her a chance!
She has?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:32 am
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:00 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:48 pm Would be interesting to see Megumi Odaka come back, somehow.
That's another argument for bringing the Heisei series back. She's been yearning to be able to do so for over 25 years now, so give her a chance!
She has?
I read that she would like to very much. I am pretty sure it was on her bio here on TK.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Megumi can certainly come back to the franchise, but the Heisei era itself should not continue. It had its run, it ended where it ended, and that's how it is.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

HillyHulk
Yuki Special

Post by HillyHulk »

Two things that make me say no to continuing this timeline. One, the emotional ending it gave us with Godzilla dying but his legacy living on would've been for nothing. Second, there simply aren't many other directions to go with this timeline.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

....also, it's been 26 years. It's over. Toho doesn't even make Godzilla movies the same way they used to. The man responsible for making those films what they were died years ago. Let it go.

What's with the fixation on the Heisei series specifically continuing? The continuity?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:20 pm ....also, it's been 26 years. It's over. Toho doesn't even make Godzilla movies the same way they used to. The man responsible for making those films what they were died years ago. Let it go.

What's with the fixation on the Heisei series specifically continuing? The continuity?
A ton of us still think the Heisei timeline has potential for good stories. Plus, some people are getting tired of the non-stop reboots with virtually every new Godzilla-related production (aside from the Monsterverse), so if anything, going back into an older continuity could serve as a refreshing change of pace. I understand the whole reasoning behind wanting to take a pre-existing IP into bold new directions, but sadly with Godzilla it's become rather fetishized for over 20 years years. Would it be the end of the world if Toho did something along the lines of what I'm suggesting?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

If you want to do those good stories, do those good stories elsewhere. Why would these stories need to be attached to a continuity thats been over for a quarter century? The idea of starting a series after over a dozen Godzilla films have since been released makes absolutely no sense. The Heisei series wasn't some combined masterpiece of storytelling that begs to be continued.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I'd rather see rebith of mortha 4.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:39 pm If you want to do those good stories, do those good stories elsewhere. Why would these stories need to be attached to a continuity thats been over for a quarter century? The idea of starting a series after over a dozen Godzilla films have since been released makes absolutely no sense. The Heisei series wasn't some combined masterpiece of storytelling that begs to be continued.
Earlier in this thread, I brought up how it's the norm for Ultraman to continuously make connections with past series and/or continuities. If you don't mind, can you please explain why it works for Ultraman and not Godzilla?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:41 pm I'd rather see rebith of mortha 4.
Maybe I wouldn't go that far...

But honestly, if you're going to continue ANY continuity I'd love to see more of the Kiryu universe. The end tag in the SOS credits implies a lot more shit could potentially go down with all the monster DNA that's been collected.

But that ain't happening either.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:53 pm
MaxRebo320 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:41 pm I'd rather see rebith of mortha 4.
Maybe I wouldn't go that far...

But honestly, if you're going to continue ANY continuity I'd love to see more of the Kiryu universe. The end tag in the SOS credits implies a lot more poop could potentially go down with all the monster DNA that's been collected.

But that ain't happening either.
How would you feel if Godzilla did something akin to Ultraman Trigger, where a new film/series takes place in an alternate variant of a pre-existing universe of which over time, gradually builds connections towards it? They did that, only with the Heisei continuity, I think we could have the best of both worlds (no pun intended).

If you still object, then please tell me, is it the very idea you don’t like, or do you just not trust Toho to do it properly?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

I don't think so, the Heisei era ended with the death of Godzilla aka MosuGoji 1995 due to him absorbing too much radiation and paying the consequences for it. We were left with a cliffhanger of Godzilla Jr aka Rebirth Godzilla roaring in the background ready for action, but it is ultimately not needed. There are also many plot holes to these films that should be explored, especially the 1991 film with all the time travel nonsense that completely wasn't necessary, sure we got to see Godzillasaurus, but we don't know his origins before that. Toho should focus on the future and not the past and leave it alone at this point i want to see what Toho can bring to the franchise bring us something new and fresh without the bloated plots that ultimately mean nothing.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Did you mean to say MogeGoji? Also, what is there to explore about the Godzillasaurus? He just survived and became Godzilla.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Amp87 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:33 am Toho should focus on the future and not the past and leave it alone at this point I want to see what Toho can bring to the franchise bring us something new and fresh without the bloated plots that ultimately mean nothing.
Who says the past should remain in the past? Honestly though, I think people around here have spoiled themselves with quote-on-quote "fresh and new" things practically every goddamn time from Toho over the past 20 years. I'm not talking strictly about the Heisei era per say, but what's the harm in revisiting an older continuity now and then?

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:15 pm
Amp87 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:33 am Toho should focus on the future and not the past and leave it alone at this point I want to see what Toho can bring to the franchise bring us something new and fresh without the bloated plots that ultimately mean nothing.
Who says the past should remain in the past? Honestly though, I think people around here have spoiled themselves with quote-on-quote "fresh and new" things practically every goddamn time from Toho over the past 20 years. I'm not talking strictly about the Heisei era per say, but what's the harm in revisiting an older continuity now and then?
Nothing wrong with it maybe putting it in the comics, or mangas but in TV shows or Movies especially just doesn't do Godzilla justice we need new fresh ideas beyond Shin, AniGoji, and Ultima. To me those were disappointing in the current Reiwa era, I hope Toho is listening to their fans and bring new light to the Godzilla franchise.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Amp87 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:48 am
Nothing wrong with it maybe putting it in the comics, or mangas but in TV shows or Movies especially just doesn't do Godzilla justice we need new fresh ideas beyond Shin, AniGoji, and Ultima. To me those were disappointing in the current Reiwa era, I hope Toho is listening to their fans and bring new light to the Godzilla franchise.
Can you tell me exactly why it can’t work with Godzilla, yet with every other franchise?

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:50 am
Amp87 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:48 am

Can you tell me exactly why it can’t work with Godzilla, yet with every other franchise?
The Heisei Era was a product of its time Toho needs to move on and bring something new and fresh we can always go back and rewatch these films over and over again reliving the glory days. I can only speak for myself and to me the Heisei Era just wont work these days making any of the Heisei's with motion-capture and CGI would only tarnish the legacy of what they did back then in my opinion.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Literally every movie and a TV show is a product of its time. That doesn’t stop studios from re-visiting them in the form of sequels and what not. By your logic, Top Gun Maverick should never have been made.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:21 pm ^Literally every movie and a TV show is a product of its time. That doesn’t stop studios from re-visiting them in the form of sequels and what not. By your logic, Top Gun Maverick should never have been made.
That's nice.

The Heisei series ended 28 years ago. There have been 10 Japanese Godzilla films, a Japanese anime series and four American made Godzilla films made since then. That's a lot of content. Toho has moved on. The fans should too.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:51 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:21 pm ^Literally every movie and a TV show is a product of its time. That doesn’t stop studios from re-visiting them in the form of sequels and what not. By your logic, Top Gun Maverick should never have been made.
That's nice.

The Heisei series ended 28 years ago. There have been 10 Japanese Godzilla films, a Japanese anime series and four American made Godzilla films made since then. That's a lot of content. Toho has moved on. The fans should too.
I second this. The Heisei era’s story has been told. Aside from short films or comics, it’s time to leave it be.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image