Did most of the mutations in "Monster War" from "Godzilla: The Series" survive at the end?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Did most of the mutations in "Monster War" from "Godzilla: The Series" survive at the end?

Post by mikelcho »

I was recently reading some of the Godzilla: The Series Monster Bios articles and noticed that the ones on El Gusano Gigante and the Queen Bee said they were killed at the end of "Monster War". I don't think they were.

From what I remember, the mutations that turned on the Leviathan Aliens after they were freed from being mind-controlled by them were only rendered unconscious, not killed. And also Isle del Diablo (which by "S.C.A.L.E.", had become Monster Island exactly as "Monster War" had said it would do) was actually an island chain made up of one large main island and at least four smaller auxiliary islands close to it. Just because we only saw three of the mutations - Crustaceous Rex, the King Cobra and the Giant Bat - living there in "S.C.A.L.E.", that doesn't mean that the other four mutations also involved in the war - El Gusano Gigante, the Queen Bee, the Cryptocledius and the Huge Rat - weren't there as well. They could've been kept on one or more of the smaller islands if the main island couldn't accommodate them and we just didn't see them. Again, from what I remember, the only mutation that was definitely killed in the war was Cyber Godzilla (originally Godzilla I before his resurrection and conversion) and the only one that was definitely not on the island at any time and in any way, shape or form was Godzilla II. Skeetera, the Shrewster and the Giant Mutant Hummingbirds (the second and third of which were mentioned but not shown) weren't sent to the island until later.

Thoughts? Rebuttals? Agreements? Disagreements?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 14 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Did all the mutations in "Monster War" from "Godzilla: The Series" survive at the end?

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I'd argue you would have a point if all of those monsters weren't being shown being BOMBARDED by Leviathan ships and visibly writhing in pain.

Even if they are just somewhere else, that's a pretty big visual clue they're dead.

RIP Evan.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Did all the mutations in "Monster War" from "Godzilla: The Series" survive at the end?

Post by mikelcho »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:15 pm I'd argue you would have a point if all of those monsters weren't being shown being BOMBARDED by Leviathan ships and visibly writhing in pain.

Even if they are just somewhere else, that's a pretty big visual clue they're dead.
So let me get this straight: basically, out of seven mutations involved in the war (not including Godzilla II and Cyber-Godzilla), three survived (as revealed in "S.C.A.L.E.") and four were killed. Then one new mutation was added to the island chain later (again, as revealed in "S.C.A.L.E."). Whether any more mutations were added later, or have been added later, after that one is unknown (btw, were any more added, even it was only mentioned and not seen? UPDATE: I found out the Shrewster and the Giant Mutant Hummingbirds were each mentioned as being taken to the island chain, but weren't seen. UPDATE 2: I also found out that before it could be taken to Monster Island, the Shrewster was captured by Maximillian Spiel for use in his mutation fighting arena).

I'm going to have to watch those three episodes again just to be sure. But you seem to know more about this story than I do at this time, so I'm willing to admit under the circumstances that, in this case, you're more likely right than not.

I still think it would've been great if all seven of them had been there, though. It would've met the island chain a better and even more interesting Monster Island, imho.

The only one of the seven that didn't have a big part in the war was the Huge Rat. If I'd have had my way, he'd have been the guardian of the Tachyon transmitter on the main island because of his relatively small size when compared to the other six mutations. But I didn't and he wasn't.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:58 am, edited 11 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Did most of the mutations in "Monster War" from "Godzilla: The Series" survive at the end?

Post by mikelcho »

Just thought of this: were the Giant Mutant Widow Spider and her offspring ever mentioned as possibly being taken to Monster Island? I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Did most of the mutations in "Monster War" from "Godzilla: The Series" survive at the end?

Post by edgaguirus »

The explosion probably killed the young spiders, but the big one might have survived. The arachnid could have incapacitated by the blast.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.