Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:Yeah, over time its unapologetic goofiness has led me to forgive a lot of its flaws. These days, it's no longer my least favorite Heisei flick, both because I've grown to appreciate it more, and because Mechagozilla II just gets worse every time I watch it.
This about sums it up for me, too.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Addendum to my previous comment praising how goofy this movie is - I’m re-watching key scenes through a cool compilation someone put on YouTube, and am now grasping just how insane it is. Like, I still love it, but holy crap I get why people don’t. It’s like it’s not even set within the same universe. Two key things pop into mind;

1. Moguera is capable of fighting in space, as far from Earth as the asteroid belt (which is past Mars)......... WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? They REALLY gloss over that little innovative jump. I guess you can put it down to further tech learned from the Futurians, but still, by the next movie they’ve given up on mechs alltogether and gone back to Super Xs.

2. The fact that G-Force has hilarious internal factionalism, with three separate (and probably expensive) plans for dealing with Godzilla not only going ahead at once, but competing with each other for success. Then, when one plan fails, they just let the mentally unstable maniac who tried it fly Moguera. The dude is so selfish he literally turns Moguera away from the interstellar bringer of the apocalypse that is the real target to go settle his vendetta.

Look, I still love this movie. Just, seen in the context of the heisei series as a whole, boy is it its own thing.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:2. The fact that G-Force has hilarious internal factionalism, with three separate (and probably expensive) plans for dealing with Godzilla not only going ahead at once, but competing with each other for success.
I'd never thought of it in quite those terms. Now I wish the movie had explored this a little more.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:2. The fact that G-Force has hilarious internal factionalism, with three separate (and probably expensive) plans for dealing with Godzilla not only going ahead at once, but competing with each other for success.
I'd never thought of it in quite those terms. Now I wish the movie had explored this a little more.
It would be interesting! But, if explored properly, a Godzilla film detailing factionalism within government agencies would probably be more suited to a darker, more mature film than the one we got.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
It would be interesting! But, if explored properly, a Godzilla film detailing factionalism within government agencies would probably be more suited to a darker, more mature film than the one we got.
I could also see it being used in a broad, satirical way.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The idea of multiple plans makes perfect sense. If you were under threat from huge monsters, you'd want as many ideas as possible to deal with them.

As to the discussion at hand, it would be very good as satire of government. Especially if all the plans fail and it's some other person or persons who come up with the successful strategy.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

edgaguirus wrote:The idea of multiple plans makes perfect sense. If you were under threat from huge monsters, you'd want as many ideas as possible to deal with them.

As to the discussion at hand, it would be very good as satire of government. Especially if all the plans fail and it's some other person or persons who come up with the successful strategy.
Multiple plans does make sense, just the way the film presents them is as being very competitive with one another. That’s the part that I find funny.

I agree though that it would work well in a satire.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

For the life of me, I'll never get why they felt the need to work in a subplot with the Yakuza, especially when it has so little to do with the monsters and the main human characters. I mean it just comes out of nowhere! The Yakuza just hijacks the movie and everyone has to go save Miki! Its nuts.

I felt like they wanted to enhance the human drama, but when you already have Yuki going all Ahab and wanting to kill Godzilla, and the whole debate about whether or not to kill him, I think that's enough, right?
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

NEWvicegriptyrano
Ronin

Post by NEWvicegriptyrano »

This is my favorite Godzilla movie

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

NEWvicegriptyrano wrote:This is my favorite Godzilla movie
what makes it your fav? Curious about why you enjoy it so much

NEWvicegriptyrano
Ronin

Post by NEWvicegriptyrano »

Godzillian wrote:
NEWvicegriptyrano wrote:This is my favorite Godzilla movie
what makes it your fav? Curious about why you enjoy it so much
In my opinion it's a really interesting movie. Having Godzilla seem more like a hero than a villain for one. And SpaceGodzilla was a great monster for Godzilla to fight (despite the fact that SpaceGodzilla was basically a cosmic clone of Godzilla). But I think making a cool powerful clone of Godzilla was a good idea. I mean, who doesn't wan't to see Godzilla fly and make crystals come out of the ground? I also think that there were a lot of funny jokes in this movie (well, funny to me). Like the guy at doll machine for instance. And Miki seemed to have more powers in this movie unlike the following Godzilla VS. Destoroyah, where Miki's powers were fading. And at least this movie had a happy ending.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GojiDog wrote:For the life of me, I'll never get why they felt the need to work in a subplot with the Yakuza, especially when it has so little to do with the monsters and the main human characters. I mean it just comes out of nowhere! The Yakuza just hijacks the movie and everyone has to go save Miki! Its nuts.

I felt like they wanted to enhance the human drama, but when you already have Yuki going all Ahab and wanting to kill Godzilla, and the whole debate about whether or not to kill him, I think that's enough, right?
It has enough subplot without the Yakuza element. I think they were just padding the film for length as much as trying to get more drama.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

This movie has a great score. Not quite on par with Ifukube, but still does a decent job in his absence. The music accompanying MOGUERA scenes are especially great.

Bane
Yojimbo

Post by Bane »

KaijuCanuck wrote:This movie has a great score. Not quite on par with Ifukube, but still does a decent job in his absence. The music accompanying MOGUERA scenes are especially great.
Definitely not on par with Ifukube or anything but I think the scores Hattori provided for Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla are amazing, and it's a shame that a lot of people aren't fans of it. I think his score for SpaceGodzilla is the best.
Member of the League of Shadows.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Bane wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:This movie has a great score. Not quite on par with Ifukube, but still does a decent job in his absence. The music accompanying MOGUERA scenes are especially great.
Definitely not on par with Ifukube or anything but I think the scores Hattori provided for Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla are amazing, and it's a shame that a lot of people aren't fans of it. I think his score for SpaceGodzilla is the best.
I'm totally on board with his G2K score. As for GvsSG, I really like the music on its own (it's good driving music), but it doesn't quite click for me in the context of the movie.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

One of my least favorite Godzilla films, but I love Spacegodzilla, Little Godzilla, Moguera, and the musical score

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

So... why exactly does Spacegodzilla trap Little Godzilla? Is he gonna eat him later or something? Is he just doing it to be evil?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I always got the impression that those things maybe drained or absorbed life-energy? But mostly, I think he was just being sadistic to Godzilla in this instance.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KaijuCanuck wrote:So... why exactly does Spacegodzilla trap Little Godzilla? Is he gonna eat him later or something? Is he just doing it to be evil?
A plot device to keep him out of the movie.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:So... why exactly does Spacegodzilla trap Little Godzilla? Is he gonna eat him later or something? Is he just doing it to be evil?
A plot device to keep him out of the movie.
I mean, if Little Godzilla had been in that final fight, Spacegodzilla would have been taken out in about 2 minutes.