Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Re: positive feedback for kensho yamashita as a director?

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I do like Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla. I think he did a good job as the director for that film. But that is the only film he directed, so there's not much that I can say about him.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:07 pm I do like Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla. I think he did a good job as the director for that film. But that is the only film he directed, so there's not much that I can say about him.
He'd previously directed Trouble Man -- If You Laugh, I'll Kill You (1979) and Nineteen (1987); both of these are obscure even in Japan. It looks like these three were his only feature films.

Still not much more to say about him, lol.

Edit because I forgot a movie.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

He was also an assistant director on Return of Godzilla and Terror of MG.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

SpaceGodzilla is the worst film in the series next to Final Wars, so I can't say I'm a fan.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:39 pm He was also an assistant director on Return of Godzilla and Terror of MG.
Two of my favorite films in the series. He gets bonus points for that.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I agree with you. He did better work on Godzilla films as an assistant director. I haven't seen his other directoral works, however.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'd like to see Spacegodzilla with some of the deleted drama scenes integrated one day, though I'm sure it's a pipedream. Upon a few recent viewings I really dig what it was going for a lot more.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

What a weird thread that has no purpose of existing on its own. Merged with the regular SpaceGodzilla thread.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

Post by GodzillaDude »

Hey don’t know if anyone remembers me from years ago but I still scour here once in awhile, even if some of y’all I both know and don’t give me a headache!

Anyway have been doing yet another rewatch recently and I gotta say I was surprised how much I enjoyed Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla. The issues everyone always attaches to it are mostly true although I don’t think the effects are any better or worse than the other Heisei films, in fact pretty good at times if you’re used to what to expect which all of us should be. The only stuff I didn’t really care for was the human male characters trying to assault Godzilla on the beach, just felt moronic and like a waste of time that took up too much of the run time. Although the human characters were a little more interesting and entertaining than usual. I’m mixed on Baby’s redesign and am pissed that they apparently cut out a scene of Godzilla trying to free him, like WHY would you cut that?!? I get they were desperately trying to go for a lighter tone for some reason again but how chopped up I heard it got was ridiculous compared to almost an initial 2 and a half hour movie.

Unlike some I am a fan of the bulkier Heisei Godzilla and still think he looks pretty great MGII and onward, SpaceGodzilla looks superb especially the face and the climatic battle is decently lengthy for a Big G flick and was just so much entertaining and satisfying spectacle for me. Don’t see how anyone couldn’t have at least liked it.

Anyway I know I’ll be in the minority but I actually have a pretty favorable opinion of GvSG at this point.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

My kids and I watched this last night as the next installment in their first trip through the Heisei series.

This has long been my absolute least favorite Godzilla movie, and that’s being generous. It’s long been the only live action Japanese Godzilla film I actively disliked. And watching it last night, I have to say….

…I didn’t totally hate it. I actually even liked parts of it. Blew my mind! Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a pretty terrible movie with LOTS of problems to pick apart.

But it does actually some things to appreciate. The Godzilla suit looks pretty great (even if the tail tip keeps trying to break off). The film often exudes a very ‘80’s fantasy film vibe (never ending story, dragon slayer, stuff like that) but unfortunately never does anything more with it than briefly evoke that vibe from time to time. Space Godzilla looks pretty cool and has an interesting origin. The whole first segment on the island is pretty enjoyable in fact. And there’s some really nice composite shots throughout the film.

Still an absolute bottom tier Godzilla movie that commits the unforgivable sin of being outright boring in some key moments. But not the totally unlikeable train wreck I used to think it was. Guess I’m getting soft in my old age.

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

God I love this movie. It's really shit, but it's fun to watch

Kurgan2
Young Farmer

Post by Kurgan2 »

Yeah, one of the WTF? moments for this one was the three chuckleheads on the beach gonna shoot Godzilla with a pistol, assault rifle and whatever you call the thing Yuki was using. Like that will end well.

That said, I think it's a fun movie like all the Godzillas. This is not high art folks, it's just something to have a little fun with.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It would've helped a lot if that scene on the satellite thrashed by SpaceG was in still photos?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kurgan2 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:53 am Yeah, one of the WTF? moments for this one was the three chuckleheads on the beach gonna shoot Godzilla with a pistol, assault rifle and whatever you call the thing Yuki was using. Like that will end well.

That said, I think it's a fun movie like all the Godzillas. This is not high art folks, it's just something to have a little fun with.
It was called Yuki's Special. Half off on Tuesdays with a choice of rice or beans.

It's not a good movie, but it's still entertaining.

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Minya »

Looking at the concept art section of this film on the main site....I wonder what the plan for the 'alien' designs for King Ghidorah, Mothra, Battra and Biollante would have been......
"HOW DO YA LIKE THAT, WEIRDO?!!?"

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Legendary Minya wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:27 am Looking at the concept art section of this film on the main site....I wonder what the plan for the 'alien' designs for King Ghidorah, Mothra, Battra and Biollante would have been......
Apparently when Mothra flew into space, the cells from nearly all the monsters Godzilla fought up to that point would have come into contact with whatever the silver alien thing is, which was able to mimic the various monsters. The first form would've been the winged Godzilla, followed by Biollante, then King Ghidorah, then the larval Mothra and Battra. Unfortunately, the images were rather small, so the Japanese text accompanying the art is hardly legible.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GigaBowserG wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:43 pm
Legendary Minya wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:27 am Looking at the concept art section of this film on the main site....I wonder what the plan for the 'alien' designs for King Ghidorah, Mothra, Battra and Biollante would have been......
Apparently when Mothra flew into space, the cells from nearly all the monsters Godzilla fought up to that point would have come into contact with whatever the silver alien thing is, which was able to mimic the various monsters. The first form would've been the winged Godzilla, followed by Biollante, then King Ghidorah, then the larval Mothra and Battra. Unfortunately, the images were rather small, so the Japanese text accompanying the art is hardly legible.
Space Ghidorah, now that's redundant!

Anyways, I think I've seen some of these images before, but without the proper concept. I honestly doubt they'd throw basically new suits into all the Heisei Era monsters, but it does make Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla seem more "important", with basically a tribute to each film that came before it. Funny to think that Rodan isn't there because Mothra left before the MG film. I like the weird silver alien thing though. The Erika/Rose Biollante design is horrifying. I also have to wonder if this was partially inspired by the "Bio-Ghidorah" from The Godzilla Comic Raids Again.

Anyways, I think the most interesting takeaway from the concept art was that SpaceGodzilla was at first not only envisioned as a crystalline entity. Rather, it seems like they came up with a few different ideas, like the silver alien, that would mutate and create monsters/SpaceGodzilla. Honestly, I like what we got, even if some of the designs are super cool and wish would come back.

One big mystery, which I don't need to be answered alhough it's fun to think about, is the crystalline entity. The characters in the film give
a loose expanation about the Godzilla cells mutating in space through a black hole or something, but it makes me wonder what sort of crystal being is living out in deep space in the Heisei continuity. Maybe the crystals are mostly harmless, but Godzilla cells gave them form, or maybe there's somewhere out in the universe that is some bizarre crystal galaxy that is entirely made of crystals. It's a weird and slightly unnerving idea.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Star Trek TNG featured a crystalline life form.

I like to think that Godzilla cells will dominate whatever they come into contact with. We see again and again in the movies that G cells will change a being into something more like Godzilla. Even alien matter is no match for G cells.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:09 am I like to think that Godzilla cells will dominate whatever they come into contact with. We see again and again in the movies that G cells will change a being into something more like Godzilla. Even alien matter is no match for G cells.
That's true and it's actually funny how many times we see this trend, across continuities.

Biollante was more human/plant, but became drastically more Godzilla with it's second form.
SpaceGodzilla is obvious.
The Millenian got screwed over by Godzilla cells hijacking it and mutated into Orga, a sort of bizarre half-way point between the two entities.
Megagurius wasn't as hijacked by Godzilla cells as the others, and it's more subtle, but it's clear Megagurius is more fleshy than the meganulon and actually shares a lot of subtle details with Godzilla, like his teeth, and almost spiny demeanor.

There's this idea that the Godzilla continuity is filled with DNA stealers, but in fact, it's the opposite! Godzilla cells are no good.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:56 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:09 am I like to think that Godzilla cells will dominate whatever they come into contact with. We see again and again in the movies that G cells will change a being into something more like Godzilla. Even alien matter is no match for G cells.
That's true and it's actually funny how many times we see this trend, across continuities.

Biollante was more human/plant, but became drastically more Godzilla with it's second form.
SpaceGodzilla is obvious.
The Millenian got screwed over by Godzilla cells hijacking it and mutated into Orga, a sort of bizarre half-way point between the two entities.
Megagurius wasn't as hijacked by Godzilla cells as the others, and it's more subtle, but it's clear Megagurius is more fleshy than the meganulon and actually shares a lot of subtle details with Godzilla, like his teeth, and almost spiny demeanor.

There's this idea that the Godzilla continuity is filled with DNA stealers, but in fact, it's the opposite! Godzilla cells are no good.
So Godzilla is like the flood from Halo, his cells assimilate other lifeforms.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.