One question, which was worse ...

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Ryu
Samurai

One question, which was worse ...

Post by Ryu »

Hello I have a question to ask, which is for a study.
What was the worst:
Godzilla 1998 or Resident Evil 2002?
I wait for your answers.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

Spuro
Keizer

Re: One question, which was worse ...

Post by Spuro »

You're asking this on a Godzilla-centered forum.

I think 1998 winning by a landslide is a foregone conclusion.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Godzilla 1998, at least in Resident Evil the zombies and lickers didn’t run away from fire arms and actually were a threat, yes the main character is a Mary Sue, but if we remove her, you actually get a somewhat a decent live action video game adaptation

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Well, I'm going to a Jurassic Park discord, I ask the same question, they say that RE 2002 is a bad film. I am going to a Resident Evil discord, they say the same. I am going to a godzilla discord, I have a meltdown of people condemning godzilla 1998 and defending RE 2002.
Strange world, isn't it?
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^I wouldn't call it a meltdown.

I recently watched the 2002 Resident Film, and I'm a big fan of the RE series. Despite what other fans might say, I'd say the film follows a lot of the same story beats and motifs of the game.
Godzilla 1998 is 40 minutes longer than RE. For that reason alone, it's easy to sit down and watch RE as a fun-bad movie. I had a good time of watching it with my girlfriend.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

It really depends on what criteria you prioritize. Godzilla '98 has better acting, better photography, a better score, stronger characterization, it is on the whole the better made movie.

It's also incredibly tedious to sit through after the first half hour.

Resident Evil is a dumb, shallow, ugly movie with lousy pacing and completely forgettable performances (at best), but at least it's relatively diverting while it's on.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun May 30, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'd rather rewatch '98 than Resident Javovovich.... But uh, can I just not watch either by chance? Is this one of those hypotheticals where there's a gun to my head and I have to pick one?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:23 am I'd rather rewatch '98 than Resident Javovovich.... But uh, can I just not watch either by chance? Is this one of those hypotheticals where there's a gun to my head and I have to pick one?
*gun to your head*

Choose.

Me first, I choose death

BANG....Im dead

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:38 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:23 am I'd rather rewatch '98 than Resident Javovovich.... But uh, can I just not watch either by chance? Is this one of those hypotheticals where there's a gun to my head and I have to pick one?
*gun to your head*

Choose.

Me first, I choose death

BANG....Im dead
Right behind ya pal!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I like both movies. G98 is one of my favorites, and RE is a really solid film.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

This is an a very random question. There are many bad movies based on very games you could compare Godzilla too. Although for me personally I would have to say Resident Evil. At least Godzilla felt like a movie. A very generic Hollywood movie that doesn't really offer anything to set it aside from it's contemporaries but isn't awful if looked at from a non Godzilla fan perspective. Bad yes but there are worse out there. It is semi competent. Resident Evil just didn't even have that going for it.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

I'd say 1998. Not because I like one better than the other, because I love them both for different reasons, and the latter got a chance to explain itself through sequels. On their own context is where Resident Evil edges 1998 out the better film, but not by much. It's enjoyable, has great action scenes and it got me interested in the games and for a fun horror flick, that's all I really ask for. And I admit Mila Jovovich really chews the scenery with how cool her action scenes are and liking her in the Fifth Element. Godzilla 1998 loses because it's not standalone and relies on a sequel hook that's never answered*, the movie loses all its stakes the moment Godzilla lands in NYC, and somehow the filmmakers didn't believe making Godzilla as destructive like the aliens were in Independence Day would make his death more triumphant at the hands of the military. The original 2002 Resident Evil can standalone as a decently fun flick, it has clear stakes, and there's payoff for all the build-up.

In my opinion a decent movie , especially in a franchise, should be able to stand by itself without relying on outside media in order to enjoy it in its entirety. Relying on a sequel hook depends on how decent and fun the film was before it got there. Resident Evil's worked because the movie paid off on its expectations, while Godzilla didn't. It's hype went against it because people were expecting a masterpiece blockbuster that never happened. But it was a decently made movie that couldn't ever live up to those expectations from the marketing. Especially after Jurassic Park set the bar so high. It's not as bad as it's been said, but 1998 would've benefited by being vastly more like it's Japanese predecessor's character and attitude. In a way, the 1998 movie subtly digging the military by having them so incompetent, is pretty surprising considering the time period and coming off their last film.

Neither of them to me are the worst films imaginable. Even Airbender is practically a comedy by itself or edited right.
Last edited by Bigdog on Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.