Lost Project Discussion - Godzilla: Great Naval Battle

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
BlankAccount
Sazer

Lost Project Discussion - Godzilla: Great Naval Battle

Post by BlankAccount »

You know it's funny a few weeks or maybe a months ago I was complaining we need more of Godzilla actually swim fighting as he is a sea monster but most of his fights are out of the water, or if it's in it he's on the surface, walking on shallow water or walking on the bottom. Then 2 days ago the main site updates with a lost project where Godzilla would spend the majority fighting the Japanese Navy & G-Force's new weapons (presumably both aquaitc & air) as well three new monsters in his home turf.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... attle.html

We don't know much about it, I wonder if there would have been scenes of Godzilla attacking coastal cities or if it would have been like Son of Godzilla where we never see a city, though I think if you want destruction the Japanese Navy and G-Forces new weapons would cover that. Maybe something similar to the Super-X2 would be used, something that can fly and swim. Maybe Japan's aircraft carriers would have both the normal jets and the ASTOL maser jets. We also don't know anything about the new monsters other than there would have been 3, so we don't know if they would fly or swim, or heck dig if there is a fight near a beach or something.

But while we don't know much about it, I think the fact there was a concept for a Godzilla movie either all or mostly set in the ocean is a cool idea worth talking about. Who knows, maybe we would have seen Godzilla swim & shoot at submarines instead of walking into them.

EDIT: For the record this is what I mean when I say I wanna see Godzilla actually swim and fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDu-5Qg3iyI
Last edited by BlankAccount on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Lost Project Discussion - Godzilla: Great Naval Battle

Post by Gigantis »

I know one thing, that suit would be in tatters by the end of filming because water and rubber do not mix. Probably why Toho scrapped it!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tyrantgoji wrote:I know one thing, that suit would be in tatters by the end of filming because water and rubber do not mix. Probably why Toho scrapped it!
True, but with how much CGI has improved in the decades you'd think someone would do a scene of Godzilla fighting a group of subs underwater. We're sadly not gonna see it in a Hollywood film anytime soon, I think the Monsterverse missed it's chance when they locked Godzilla into the hero role from the word go and didn't allow him to retaliate like Kong does when shot at.

Unless it's bad guys like Johna's group with subs, then that's fair game. (and on that note, it's annoying the group of bad guys in KOTM don't have a name, just a named leader and some nameless thugs).

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Or it could be primarily set at ocean or then on an island. Wondering about the kaiju though.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

imposterzilla wrote: Wondering about the kaiju though.
Sadly all we got for details is they were new. They probably hadn't gotten as far as making details about them other than they knew they wanted new monsters. I think they could have brought back old sea monsters like Manda for this. Manda wrapping around an aircraft carrier or Godzilla is an epic image to me and since it's much faster in water than on land with 360 movement this movie would have been a chance for them to fight,

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

New kaiju didn't make the profits that Toho wanted during the Heisei era, so bringing back old sea kaiju probably would have happened. I could see Manda , and have Godzilla face Titanosaurus as the climax.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Considering the alleged 1995 release date, what if Deep Sea Life was carried over from this movie?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Depending on how this was executed, I can see it being either a really exciting or really boring film.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I could see Manda, Gezora and Titanosarus returning for this. Considering the age maybe one new monster.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Heck Ebriah and Varan could have come back, or even Biollante.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I think back to the cover of G-FAN#49 by Chris Scalf featuring Godzilla battling Titanosaurus underwater. Apparently their conflict involved a naval fleet which surprise ,surprise. Lost to the two dueling titans. And the wreckage of said fleet coming down around the two as they continue fighting. Something I had always wanted to see featuring in Godzilla flick, or in a kaiju film I general. Live action, or animated. I'm not picky. It would be a good place to reintroduce some classics like the previously mentioned Ebirah. Or Titanosaurus, Gezora, or Manda. Like in the fun filled IDW RULERS OF EARTH series.
Or one monster that was rumored to show up in a lost project, probably GREAT NAVAL BATTLE come to think about it. Jyarumu.(https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Jyarumu) .
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

A cool idea if they ever revisit this concept is ton involve an aquapolis. Imagine the worlds first mobile floating city travling around the world's ocean but on it's maiden voyage it bumps into Godzilla or something else. Have your city destruction out in the middle of the ocean, with the Navy(s) trying to blast the monster off of it.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

It's been a couple of years, but the page has been updated with further details regarding this story, to include an unexpected addition to the monster cast. Never really noticed how many battles out at sea are largely restricted to the first half of Godzilla movies...
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

So... is it safe to say that we could've gotten Mechamanda?

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Or like a serpentine Kiryu. I love this idea over all! Some of the weirder tendrilled art for Dagarah may have been from this, though I doubt from the destricptions that Dagarah or Jyarumu were from this.

Added in 1 hour 31 minutes 58 seconds:
GigaBowserG wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:11 am
It's been a couple of years, but the page has been updated with further details regarding this story, to include an unexpected addition to the monster cast. Never really noticed how many battles out at sea are largely restricted to the first half of Godzilla movies...
We'll get info on the SpaceGodzilla Counterattack idea and CyberCity?
Last edited by imposterzilla on Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaijuboi
Yojimbo

Post by Kaijuboi »

wonder if that concept art mentioned in the trivia section will ever be shown if anyone has the godzilla vs destoroyah perfection book

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Gotta say, i actually kinda love the concept of serpentine Mechagodzilla. I'm kinda imagining something along the lines of Deep-Sea Life.. just, more robotic lol

Wonder what the other three monsters would look like tho. They're all said to be mutants, so maybe it's something like Rampage, and they would all be based on different animals?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Kaijuboi wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:23 am wonder if that concept art mentioned in the trivia section will ever be shown if anyone has the godzilla vs destoroyah perfection book
Nope, Toho just has all this cool and unusual artwork locked away in their vault somewhere, definitely wasn't in the book.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I like the idea if a water based mech as well. You could get some unique and interesting designs from that.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kaijuboi
Yojimbo

Post by Kaijuboi »

I honestly love the plot about this film. It circles back to the 1954 film real well with nuclear war mutating ancient creatures and such. And the idea of the new kaiju looking like ammonites and other deep sea crustaceans is something i wouldve loved to see, i could see one of them looking like scylla in a way.