Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Giant Monster Varan

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
The One and Only
Futurian

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Giant Monster Varan

Post by The One and Only »

GojiDog wrote:Poor Varan. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.
My thoughts exactly about the Unbelievable One. I think Varan is right behind, or looking like now, neck and neck with Bagan for unrealized projects. Been a fan of the kaiju since George Thomas' Godzilla Vs. Varan fan-fic that was published in G-FAN ,and the Random House novel, GODZILLA 2000 by Marc Cerisini. This seems a little out of character for though. Although I like the kaiju being played as a demonic entity to be feared. Either by superstitious natives, or even a pawn of evil sorcerers like in Clint Lee Warner's fan fics, KOUMAJUTSU(http://www.kaijuphile.com/fannest/ficti ... ogue.shtml), and the cheery SORROW OF MANCHURIA (http://www.kaijuphile.com/fannest/fiction/som_01.shtml). The idear just sounds a little too big for Varan I'm sorry to say.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. I wouldn’t mind this as the finale to the Heisei era. I prefer happy endings.
For Emperor and Empire!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Compared to the original planned ending of GvsDes, with all kaiju dead and Miki committing suicide; I'd take anything. Plus it be cool to see what they'd do with Varan.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

VoyagerGoji wrote:I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. I wouldn’t mind this as the finale to the Heisei era. I prefer happy endings.
Godzilla vs Destroyer is a happy ending, Jr is going to become similar to the 70's Godzilla a complete Godzilla's cycle of villain to anti hero to hero.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Desghidorah wrote:Compared to the original planned ending of GvsDes, with all kaiju dead and Miki committing suicide;
:shock: Say what?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:Compared to the original planned ending of GvsDes, with all kaiju dead and Miki committing suicide;

Yep. Tanaka objected and said it was too much, and didn't want to fully sweep the board in case he wanted Junior to be able to come back for a sequel (Rebirth of Mothra and Godzilla 2000 [Bio-Godzilla] both started as initially planned to be in continuity with the Heisei series before reworks).

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Desghidorah wrote:
SonOfGorgo wrote:

Yep. Tanaka objected and said it was too much, and didn't want to fully sweep the board in case he wanted Junior to be able to come back for a sequel (Rebirth of Mothra and Godzilla 2000 [Bio-Godzilla] both started as initially planned to be in continuity with the Heisei series before reworks).
Holy shit. That would’ve been dark.
For Emperor and Empire!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Yeah, even by my standards that's a bit overboard and seems needless.
Resized Image

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

A wizened Tanaka blocked it thankfully. Say what you will about choices for tone across the franchise, but Tanaka was a pretty good moderating force for when ideas too whacky or too grim cropped up.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I know one thing's for certian:

Varan would've probably done a skreeonk ton of shooting with whatever beam weapon he'd get due to being placed in the Heisei era.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I once had a dream where I saw Varan firing an oral beam at the countryside. It probably would have looked similar to that, or perhaps his spines acting like lightning rods sending out multiple beams.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Ironically Godzilla: Unleashed beat Toho to the punch when it came to giving Varan a beam.

Also, I do like how the instruction booklet referenced Varan's obscurity by saying he was the most mysterious of all earth's kaiju and that sightings of him were relatively rare.
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:Ironically Godzilla: Unleashed beat Toho to the punch when it came to giving Varan a beam.

Also, I do like how the instruction booklet referenced Varan's obscurity by saying he was the most mysterious of all earth's kaiju and that sightings of him were relatively rare.
Not only that but they made him the smallest monster keeping his universe scale nearly intact.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Y'know, this really makes me wonder. If this film was still made, and if GVBA happened.. would that have made Varan one of the big 5?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Even if Varan had managed to appear in films in the first three Godzilla series, his popularity certainly wouldn't have eclipsed that of Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, KG, and MG.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Varan's only chance to be in a Big 6 would have been if Toho stuck him in Gtthm and Monster Zero.

While not as big as Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan Varan did have his own solo movie and I feel a return in GTTHM might have given him a resurgence.

A new suit in gtthm would have also allowed him potential roles in MZ and DAM.

Final nail in the coffin maybe he could have joined Godzilla and Angurius againts Gigan and Ghidorah?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Considering how obscure and mediocre Varan's film is, and I know because I watched it not long ago, Varan cannot compete with the 5.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:39 pm Considering how obscure and mediocre Varan's film is, and I know because I watched it not long ago, Varan cannot compete with the 5.
Varan really got screwed by orginally being a for TV film. I still think had Toho throwed him a bone and put him in Gtthm it might have retroactively made his film slightly more popular.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

How a kaiju like Varan would be a world destroying, apocalypse event is beyond me. That’d be like making Gorosaurus Goji’s ultimate rival that surpasses even Ghidorah :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:06 am How a kaiju like Varan would be a world destroying, apocalypse event is beyond me. That’d be like making Gorosaurus Goji’s ultimate rival that surpasses even Ghidorah :lol:
If you write things the right way, there's no reason to think it couldn't happen. Varan as we know him now, sure. But Gyaos never seemed like Gamera's greatest foe, a world-threatening kaiju.....until the Heisei trilogy when they were effectively an apocalypse level threat by the end of GIII. It's all in how you present them and write them.
Last edited by Maritonic on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.