Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Giant Monster Varan

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Giant Monster Varan

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

How about a swarm Kaiju?

Taking inspiration from the Gyaos, let’s say there’s one Apex Varan who towers over Godzilla, and probably has more draconic wing membranes like Dinomaster’s redesign. Maybe it’s similar to Iris, growing from a youngster into a towering giant.

Then it’s shed blood develops into a swarm or pack of gliding Varan, which mob Godzilla and Junior in battle.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I mean Varan could have been the Earth Guardian prior to Battra that let the Permian extinction happen and throughout history Mothra and Battra had battled it. I think giving Varan deadly, corrosive breath and borderline telepathic manipulation would be interesting. Maybe it asexually produces mini gliding Varans as well.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Varan as a Kaiju has a ton of potential. I’ve always liked the idea of Varan being a godly figure, but not necessarily pure malevolent. Maybe he is some sort of deity who shows up to restore order and balance by any means necessary.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:19 pm Varan as a Kaiju has a ton of potential. I’ve always liked the idea of Varan being a godly figure, but not necessarily pure malevolent. Maybe he is some sort of deity who shows up to restore order and balance by any means necessary.
I like Varan being more mystical given his implied ability to summon wind in the original movie, but not really into them being like some personification of destruction . What I love about the original Varan movie is how PETTY he is. He's a petty wrathful tyrant who wipes out a village for making too much noise when looking for a missing child. I know there's a lot of stories around the world of "normal animals" knowing mystical secrets. And I think that works for Varan: he's a long lived creature who's picked up a few magic tricks.

I suppose an apocalyptic threat version of Varan could be interesting though, kinda like a kaiju evil wizard.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

With them saying Giant Monster Varan I wonder if Varan would have been huge like 300 meters long and 150-200 meters tall.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image