Fixing Godzilla 1998

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Re: Fixing Godzilla 1998

Post by Omegamorph »

AK Siwach wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:18 pm Funny Zack Snyder was mentioned because this could pass for a Snyder film.
"S-save croissant..."
"HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT NAME?"
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

A Snyder Godzilla film (god forbid) would be closer to Final Wars than G98.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I actually don't think the opening act of this film is horrible. Its not brilliant, but I'd argue its a fairly faithful reconstruction of classic monster movies, and I think it does a really good job of building up the initial reveal of godzilla. Now the film really drops the ball after this, and there are definitely sour moments in the first act as well. What does Harry Shearer being a sleezebag add to the movie, I got no idea. But for all its faults, I think the first 30-40 minutes can actually be somewhat enjoyable, and a different second half may have vastly improved the final product.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I'm pretty much on board with this one until the scene RIGHT after the first New York "attack". For some reason, after that it loses me completely.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Rurouni Senator
Yojimbo

Post by Rurouni Senator »

There is nothing that needs fixing in this masterpiece, there is nothing to do with it but love it for the messy corny chaos that it is.

And make a movie that has a good script, fun atmosphere and characters, understands the creature, and keep anyone who has no affinity to the source material away from the project to spare fans of it getting another Steel when you hope for something like the Incredible Hulk (TV show) instead.
Last edited by Rurouni Senator on Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Agreed on the first act - it has good pacing and atmosphere. Plus the music is really great.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Post credits scene where Miregoji shows up.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If something more creative had been done with GINO, even with all the deviations from mainstream Godzilla in place, would've you considered it a just compensation for what was lost?

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Personally the only really terrible thing about the film was Godzilla himself but it only really amplified because of Roland Emmerich's outspoken dislike for Godzilla in general and really sours the film when you think about it. Beyond that I really wouldn't change anything, it's a terrible Godzilla adaption that I can have fun with now that we had the MonsterVerse which pay more homage to the Toho films and made with their love for them and we have Shin Godzilla which is also a radical departure to tradition except better.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:31 amRoland Emmerich's outspoken dislike for Godzilla
whose bright fuckin idea was it to hand a Godzilla movie to someone who hates the character? it was destined to fail, they should have the shit slapped outta them
Last edited by ClandestineCanine9 on Mon May 24, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:20 pm
DynomikeGojira wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:31 amRoland Emmerich's outspoken dislike for Godzilla
whose bright skreeonkin idea was it to hand a Godzilla movie to someone who hates the character? it was destined to fail, they should have the poop slapped outta them
Unfortunately Roland Emmerich was just a symptom of Columbia TriStar never really caring for the movie. If you haven't read ScifiJapan's article on it I really recommend it I really highlights that they never took it seriously.
https://www.scifijapan.com/godzilla-toh ... ilm-part-1

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

Basically what I'd do is restart from scratch, only keeping a few aspects.

*Keep David Arnold as composer

*Make Godzilla look and act like Godzilla. He would have an upright posture, dragging tail and atomic breath (could have it be green). Conventional weaponry doesn't cause serious injury to him.

*Have the lead role be played an actor who is Japanese, or at least has Japanese ancestry.

*Either ditch the comedic tone completely, or greatly lower it's prevalence. The film would have more of a sci-fi/adventure/horror tone.

*Give the "brood of newborn man-eating monsters" concept over to Baragon, with a gigantic Mother Baragon as the film's secondary antagonist. The juvenile Baragons give the human cast something to fight directly, and an autopsy of them would lead to the discovery of the cells that produce the energy blasts & bioluminescence, which are disrupted by Cadmium. The Baragons are a vaguely similar kind of monster, and would originate from the same place as Godzilla so the movie doesn't have to spend a lot of time setting up a second, entirely different kaiju (i.e. Ghidorah or Mothra). Their tunneling abilities (a useful way to travel without being seen) and man-eating behavior pose a direct existential threat to humanity. The Baragons would be nocturnal, hating bright light. This makes it easier to have the focus shift to Godzilla during the day-time, when the Baragons retreat underground.

*First major monster scene is near the beginning, where Baby Baragons go on a feeding frenzy at Time Square during New Years' Eve Celebration.

*Have the Super X appear as a top secret aircraft that's deployed in the finale. The military assists Godzilla in battling the Mother Baragon, a final battle which spans from Central Park Zoo to the Chrysler Building. After she is destroyed, the military turn on Godzilla and surround him, intending to kill him in an all-out assault after cadmium missiles to the throat have disabled his atomic breath. He tears through the barricade and retreats into the ocean.

*Change the origin, place the island close to Africa so it's a much shorter distance to get to New York. Godzilla is not a mutated iguana, but some unknown amphibious dinosaur-like animal. Have a reveal that the island was already populated with many other large prehistoric animals, and after a disastrous manned expedition, the decision was made to nuke the place. This results in the surviving creatures becoming atomic-powered kaiju that scatter across the planet. It is suggested that Godzilla was nearest to the blast, and has become the strongest of these creatures due to absorbing the most energy. Godzilla is attracted to New York by the bright lights and noise, the Baragons are attracted by the large of amount of people to feed on.
Last edited by Cosbydaf on Mon May 24, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:04 pmUnfortunately Roland Emmerich was just a symptom of Columbia TriStar never really caring for the movie. If you haven't read ScifiJapan's article on it I really recommend it I really highlights that they never took it seriously.
That's a fascinating read - thank you for the link!

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

G1985 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:20 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:04 pmUnfortunately Roland Emmerich was just a symptom of Columbia TriStar never really caring for the movie. If you haven't read ScifiJapan's article on it I really recommend it I really highlights that they never took it seriously.
That's a fascinating read - thank you for the link!
No problem it's a great read, kinda depressing though but at least we have Legendary now

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

I love Zilla as a design. It was my introduction to Godzilla and without it I wouldn't be a fan today.

But god is it an awful Godzilla movie. Its an awful disaster movie.

To fix it I'd just go the route of the animated series, frankly. Adapt the Monster Wars arc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

How could you fix it without starting over completely?