Positive things about the Heisei Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
LegendZilla
Sazer

Positive things about the Heisei Series

Post by LegendZilla »

Hello once again fellow board members. Today, I want to bring up was inspired by a certain Nostalgia Critic video regarding what positive aspects there were to the Star Wars Prequel trilogy in spite of the massive stigma the aforementioned films have among audiences. Anyways my point is that in all my years as a Godzilla fan, I have never seen such a magnet for endless nitpicking and bickering (at least on the internet) than the set of films that we all know as the Heisei series.

Whether it be complaints regarding the bodily proportions of the kaiju featured in the films, said kaiju’s over-reliance of projectile beam-weapons or even how time travel effects the series’ overall continuity, it all gets monotonous over time. As someone particularly fond of the Heisei series myself, I would like to point out what positive things that particular set of Godzilla films has as a means to balance out the years of nitpicking (primarily among western fans) they have received. If you have certain things to point out, that would be useful.

My reasons for liking in the Heisei series are :
-Maestro Ifukube had a solid last run even though the majority of his tracks consisted of remixes of themes from the Showa era.
-The presence of Miki Saegusa.
-It actually put effort into making a singular continuity regardless of what issues one may have with GvKG, because trying is better than not doing at all.
-Godzilla’s kindness towards his son in stark contrast to the Showa era.
-An interesting variety to Maser weapons.
-As someone later pointed out, it is the only complete story arc of the series, with a clear-cut beginning, middle and end.
-Godzilla having a consistent design through nearly the entire series
-Godzilla's son actually growing up over time, eventually becoming a badass in his own right.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:44 am, edited 10 times in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Positive things about the Heisei Series

Post by Ivo-goji »

- The first three movies were awesome
- The musical scores are among the best the franchise has ever had
- The Heisei series actually had a strong arc about Godzilla's character development with a definite beginning, middle, and end that wasn't just random stuff happening to him every year like in the Showa and Millennium series
- Actually building on the lore of Godzilla by having him face challenges relevant to his history (enemies created from his DNA, a nemesis born from the same nuclear explosion that originally created him, a monster spawned from the Oxygen Destroyer...) instead of having him just be the guy who wanders into other monsters' movies
- Miki Saegusa
- Indirectly, without the second wave of Godzilla media to give it a push, the Heisei Gamera trilogy would never have been made
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Ivo-goji wrote:- The first three movies were awesome
- The musical scores are among the best the franchise has ever had
- The Heisei series actually had a strong arc about Godzilla's character development with a definite beginning, middle, and end that wasn't just random stuff happening to him every year like in the Showa and Millennium series
- Actually building on the lore of Godzilla by having him face challenges relevant to his history (enemies created from his DNA, a nemesis born from the same nuclear explosion that originally created him, a monster spawned from the Oxygen Destroyer...) instead of having him just be the guy who wanders into other monsters' movies
- Miki Saegusa
- Indirectly, without the second wave of Godzilla media to give it a push, the Heisei Gamera trilogy would never have been made
Well said. Look forward to what others have to say. ;)
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

-The scores were pretty fantastic (even in the lesser-loved plot-films)
-The non-flying costumes (Heisei Godzills and Biollante especially come to mind) were crafted with a great level of detail and scale;
-Likewise, the miniatures were top-notch, resulting in what (for me) are some of the most 'real' kaiju scenes in the entire canon; the ones I can most believe are actually occurring (a particular standout is Rose Biollante in the lake; another is Godzilla approaching the island in vs. Spacegodzilla)
-For my money, the best 'Mothra summoning' sequence of the franchise, with the lovely sunset cinematography
-Despite the controversial nature of 'beam wars,' the animations are intricate and excellent, and the pyrotechnics great- a visual treat.
-Ongoing continuity provides returning characters and escalating tech in a plausible fashion
-The only complete-story of the series, with a much-loved conclusion
-Great world-building (to me); the casual incorporation of psychics as an almost-casual throwaway plot-points, as well as sci-fi space-planes before Godzilla (or future-tech) has even shown up, make this a fantastic world that embraces being grand in scope
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

* The awesome posters by Noriyoshi Ohrai.

* The beam and transformation effects were often very pretty, stylish, and colorful, especially in Godzilla vs. Mothra, which I personally consider to be one of the most beautiful and stunning entries in the entire series.

* The new monsters introduced (Shockirus, Biollante, the Dorats, Godzillasaurus, Mecha-King Ghidorah, Battra, Baby Godzilla/Little Godzilla/Godzilla Junior, SpaceGodzilla, and Destoroyah) were all pretty cool additions to Toho's ever growing pantheon of creatures.

* The Super-X and its two successors.

* King Ghidorah's redesign for this series was gnarly looking.

* Akira Ifukube's new scores for this series.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

^^ Speaking of the design and visual successes, Burning Godzilla. Whatever you think of the movie, that design is awesome.

- The nuclear pulse is an excellent and very natural-feeling addition to Godzilla's arsenal that really enhances the feeling of his being a walking nuclear powerhouse.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

- First 3 films were pretty good.
- Awesome kaiju designs.
- The new soundtracks and the return of Akira Ifukube.

That's really all I have.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Gerdzerl wrote:* The awesome posters by Noriyoshi Ohrai.
Hah, didn't think about that. Those posters are awesome.

Another point- without the Heisei series returning Godzilla to his roots as an antagonistic kaiju, the films from the Millennium series onward featuring Godzilla as a villain/anti-hero might never have come to pass. Most people would see Godzilla as his purely heroic late Showa incarnation.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Godzilla 1984 was cool.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Biollante and King Ghidorah are decent movies and some of the optical effects are nice.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Although overall I like the Showa series best, to me the Heisei series has the definitive Godzilla in terms of design and characterization.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:-Likewise, the miniatures were top-notch, resulting in what (for me) are some of the most 'real' kaiju scenes in the entire canon; the ones I can most believe are actually occurring (a particular standout is Rose Biollante in the lake; another is Godzilla approaching the island in vs. Spacegodzilla)
For me, Return of Godzilla stands out as the movie where I have the clearest sense of scale, and the most feeling of a "real" Godzilla occupying actual space in a city.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:-Likewise, the miniatures were top-notch, resulting in what (for me) are some of the most 'real' kaiju scenes in the entire canon; the ones I can most believe are actually occurring (a particular standout is Rose Biollante in the lake; another is Godzilla approaching the island in vs. Spacegodzilla)
For me, Return of Godzilla stands out as the movie where I have the clearest sense of scale, and the most feeling of a "real" Godzilla occupying actual space in a city.
I really agree. In particular, the shot of Godzilla in the background, his back to us as he heads out to follow the bird signal, with the characters watching him in the foreground (I believe it's framed by a hole in a building?) comes to mind. One of the best shots of the entire series.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

- The first two films were great.

- It ended.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

I've always had a soft spot for the Heisei series, for pretty much all the reasons other users have already listed in this thread. I personally think The Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah are three of the finest entries in the franchise, though they aren't without their flaws. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II also happens to be my absolute favorite Godzilla film. I think the early Heisei films were a fantastic way to rejuvenate the franchise and bring it forward into the late 20th century, but unfortunately the series sort of became stagnant as it continued on, though I still enjoy all of its films.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

- Some of the best soundtracks of the series.
- They developed Godzilla as a character.
- A complete story with a beginning, middle, and end.
- My favorite Godzilla suit.
- I personally enjoy all of the films.
- Destroyah and 85 are my two favorite Godzilla films.
- Some great special effects.
- Introduced some of my favorite kaiju like Battra.
Last edited by gzillafan17 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

- Mothra and Battra's strings looked nice.

- The meteorites Spacegodzilla flies by as he travels to Earth look amazingly real.

- In Godzilla vs. Destroyah, the military was finally efficient in killing the monster attacking the city for once.

- Best dubbing in the entire series.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

- It's the longest series to have a consistent Godzilla in terms of character and design.
- It managed to give Minilla a genuinely badass replacement.
- It has characters who last more than two films.
- It has some awesome special effects.
- MOGUERA's drill nose stabbing into Spacegodzilla.
- GvD's awesome callbacks to 1954.
- G84's music.
- G84's bleak tone.
- G84's insight into Japan's Cold War situation and feelings.
- Akira Ifukube's score.
- The music that Akira Ifukube didn't do.
- The ending.
- Giving Shinji Higuchi money and experience.
- The best atomic breath scene ever in G84 (the battle at the docks).

But, I do have to point out some negatives.

- GvM's heavy-handedness.
- GvKG's poorly explained story.
- American actors picked up off the street.
- Destoroyah's death.
- King Ghidorah being a creation of mankind.
- Spacegodzilla being a better King Ghidorah than the actual King Ghidorah.
- Godzilla beating Mechagodzilla because a dead Pterosaur crashed on him.
- Too many beams, not enough hand-to-hand fighting.
- Not giving Shinji Higuchi credit.

And if you count G85 as part of the Heisei series, then there's one more positive...

- Raymond Burr.

And one more negative...

- Replacing magnets with birds.
Last edited by Cybermat47 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Cybermat47 wrote:
- Godzilla beating Mechagodzilla because a dead Pterosaur crashed on him.
I haven't seen the movie in a few years, but wasn't it implied that Rodan intentionally landed on Godzilla and let himself break down in order to revive and power up Godzilla with his body's radiation? I remember Fire Rodan's bio on Rodan's Roost said something to that effect, anyway, but I don't know if the movie itself did anything to make that clear.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Guys, this thread is about 'positive things about the Heisei series.' You don't need to qualify it with negatives, that's what literally every other thread on the forums is apparently for. :)

Maranatha!