Is Heisei the most popular Godzilla Era?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Re: Is Heisei the most popular Godzilla Era?

Post by Jatahaxe »

Breakdown wrote:Toho seems to use the Heisei version as the mascot of the series, using the design in advertising, promotional stuff and even uses the costume at special events. Though recently with the success of Shin Godzilla, it seems Shin is gradually replacing Heisei as the face of the franchise. Shin is popping up literally everywhere from TV ads to music concerts.
I saw all or most of the ads, but where if I might ask, is Shin showing up in music concerts?
Monsters are the real people.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Jatahaxe wrote:
Breakdown wrote:Toho seems to use the Heisei version as the mascot of the series, using the design in advertising, promotional stuff and even uses the costume at special events. Though recently with the success of Shin Godzilla, it seems Shin is gradually replacing Heisei as the face of the franchise. Shin is popping up literally everywhere from TV ads to music concerts.
Where if I might ask, is Shin showing up in music concerts?
https://www.facebook.com/GormaruIsland/ ... 822656226/

That's one. There's others but I can't seem to track them down.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

People think Heisei when it comes to size and strength, but I've also heard a lot of complaints about the Heisei era too. So from what I've heard, it's Godzilla at his prime in power and such, design is okay, and movies are also just meh in overall compilation (heard remarks from his stocky build being perfect and intimidating to looking like a balloon from Classic Goji fans. That and many of his movies revolved around clones of himself; Mechagodzilla, Spacegodzilla, Biollante, etc. But IDK.)

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

In terms of box office and critical reception? No, Godzilla (2014) and Shin Godzilla eclipses the Heisei films.

But in terms of influence and nostalgia? Yeah, sure, the Heisei films currently have a monopoly on some of the younger generations. However, I'd say the impending MonsterVerse will most likely become the most popular in the years to come. We're quite literally witnessing the rise of the next generation of monster fans. They'll grow up with the most recent Godzilla installments. Hopefully they'll come to love and appreciate the older movies. And if they don't? No worries. The older movies are still there for us to revisit and enjoy at our leisure. The Heisei series most definitely ranks among my favorites.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

The Heisei design is the most popular and most merchandise features it but Shin is beginning to replace it.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Tomzilla wrote:In terms of box office and critical reception? No, Godzilla (2014) and Shin Godzilla eclipses the Heisei films.

But in terms of influence and nostalgia? Yeah, sure, the Heisei films currently have a monopoly on some of the younger generations. However, I'd say the impending MonsterVerse will most likely become the most popular in the years to come. We're quite literally witnessing the rise of the next generation of monster fans. They'll grow up with the most recent Godzilla installments. Hopefully they'll come to love and appreciate the older movies. And if they don't? No worries. The older movies are still there for us to revisit and enjoy at our leisure. The Heisei series most definitely ranks among my favorites.
*sigh* As has already happened for Doctor Who fans, Star Trek fans, Star Wars fans... it can be a depressing cycle when your kids can't muster any interest in what fired your imagination growing up because something newer and flashier has come along, I'd imagine. (Mine are still to young for me to have got there yet, but I dread picturing the day when I find out they prefer Chris Pine to boring Patrick Stewart, Fin and Rey to dumb 'ol Han Solo (actually, I'd be kind of okay with that; as long as it's not 'Jar-Jar and Padme to dumb 'ol Han Solo'), David Tennant to not-even-in-color Patrick Troughton.

Or even worse, that they don't even like science fiction at all!

The circle of life is a lot crueler in the geek world. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

i like the Heisei Era it has my fav godzilla movie of all time :godzilla: vs :spacegodzilla:
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

SuperPawnageGigan wrote:i like the Heisei Era it has my fav godzilla movie of all time :godzilla: vs :spacegodzilla:
Umm, this isn't a thread about your favorite era. The OP is asking if Heisei is the most popular Godzilla era.

As for the OP's question, in Japan it is. Over here in the USA, I would say the Showa era is. Shin does seem to be replacing Heisei in Japan.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

In my experience with other G fans I know in person(not a large number, admittedly) the Heisei series has always been the favorite. It certainly is my favorite.

I can certainly see why Toho/fans might have a fondness for it. In essence, the Heisei series wiped the slate clean of the goofy, cheap, and ridiculed entries, took the franchise back to the roots of the classic. It told a progressing story that evolved and incorporated more spectacle and fantasy....but still seemed to maintain a sense of playing things straight. It was also rewarded with plenty of box office and commercial success along the way.

And then you turn around and have the Millennium series, and everything that the Heisei series had in terms of success and consistency, it did not have.

We had a first version of Godzilla that evolved from dark villain to campy hero. We had a 2nd iteration of Godzilla that was a terrible threat but often the lesser of two evils. The 98 film and Millennium series felt like a hunt for the "3rd Godzilla Series" that never found an answer, so the search was abandoned.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Heisei is a superior series.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Sure, it is, for now atleast. Monsterverse, Shin(even thought so far it isnt an era), and im sure Monster Planet will duke it out for the most popular series.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Heisei is a superior series.
How can movies with Bandais and thunder thighs be superior? :|
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
How can boring movies filled with stock footage, unwatchable human sequences and third rate monster concepts not be inferior? Oh but at least there's skinny legs, so there's that. :roll:

Added in 56 seconds:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Sure, it is, for now atleast. Monsterverse, Shin(even thought so far it isnt an era), and im sure Monster Planet will duke it out for the most popular series.
I mean whether the "tr00 fans" like it or not, the Monsterverse, when all is said and done, will be what most people think of when they hear Godzilla for the next couple generations.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Chrispy_G wrote:In my experience with other G fans I know in person(not a large number, admittedly) the Heisei series has always been the favorite. It certainly is my favorite.

I can certainly see why Toho/fans might have a fondness for it. In essence, the Heisei series wiped the slate clean of the goofy, cheap, and ridiculed entries, took the franchise back to the roots of the classic. It told a progressing story that evolved and incorporated more spectacle and fantasy....but still seemed to maintain a sense of playing things straight. It was also rewarded with plenty of box office and commercial success along the way.

And then you turn around and have the Millennium series, and everything that the Heisei series had in terms of success and consistency, it did not have.

We had a first version of Godzilla that evolved from dark villain to campy hero. We had a 2nd iteration of Godzilla that was a terrible threat but often the lesser of two evils. The 98 film and Millennium series felt like a hunt for the "3rd Godzilla Series" that never found an answer, so the search was abandoned.
^^this is the opposite of what most G fans I know have to say.^^
To me and my friends the Heisei series lacks the entertainment value that made the Showa series so memorable, and while people like to say the Heisei era isn't cheap, stiff Rodan/flying props and sparkers don't match the more life-like suits and explosions of the Showa era.
The series lost all mystical-ness during the Heisei series, and became boring as hell, box office success or not.
While the millennium series probably should've been one continuity, they are more imaginative and entertaining as a whole than a good chunk of the Heisei series. If anything the Heisei series can be ridiculed for getting rid of the pros the Showa era had and leaving only cons and stiff,expensive suits.
The Heisei series is a stale piece of shit that overused Rodan's roar, has iffy suits/props (Rodan), and beam spams up the ass. It is in no way superior.

Added in 8 minutes 59 seconds:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
How can boring movies filled with stock footage, unwatchable human sequences and third rate monster concepts not be inferior? Oh but at least there's skinny legs, so there's that. :roll:
How can Shittier movies filled with beam spams, boring fights, stale acting, horrid flying props and only one original monster concept be superior? Oh wait, at least there super serious and oblivious to their own ridiculousness, that automatically makes them COMPLETLY SUPERIOR! :roll:
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Billzilla1974 wrote: How can Shittier movies filled with beam spams, boring fights, stale acting, horrid flying props and only one original monster concept be superior? Oh wait, at least there super serious and oblivious to their own ridiculousness, that automatically makes them COMPLETLY SUPERIOR! :roll:
The only people oblivious to the silliness of all Godzilla films is the fans. Like the same kind of fans who were butthurt because they felt like Final Wars was poking fun at them (it was, but that was good).

Beam spams? Better than dancing and throwing rocks in badly designed environments that make every effort to remind you that you're watching normal dudes in suits. Boring fights? Where are all these not-boring fights in Showa? I keep looking but never find them. Stale acting? LOL. Outside of Gojira, there is not a single good performance by anyone in any Showa movie. Horrid flying props? Are we going to pretend we don't clearly see strings every time anything flies in a Showa movie now? And actually there was more than one original monster concept. As far as re-using a lot of the classics, yeah, Heisei rescued potentially cool ideas from the eternal laughingstock Showa wanted to condemn them to.

Heisei has plenty of flaws, but at least the movies are watchable. Sadly, many of the Showa pictures are not. I refuse to believe any of you actually sit and watch intently through the entirety of, say, Godzilla vs. Gigan, or Megalon, or Ebirah, or Mechagodzilla. If you actually subject yourself to that... then God have mercy on your soul.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Billzilla1974 wrote:
How can Shittier movies filled with beam spams, boring fights, stale acting, horrid flying props and only one original monster concept be superior? Oh wait, at least there super serious and oblivious to their own ridiculousness, that automatically makes them COMPLETLY SUPERIOR! :roll:
I always attributed it to a younger generation. I could be wrong though.. I grew up on Showa so maybe I'm biased towards it but the heisei series G84 aside is just.. utter drivel. I really can't watch them. The Showa series embraces its ridiculousness. Heisei just ignores it completely and try's to pass itself off as a serious film but comes off rather cringey for me. Speaking of horrid flying props lmao.. The Showa mothra adult prop shames the heisei prop. I don't know how you gaffe that up.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Hey, let's tone it down, guys. No need to hate on what other people are enjoying.

For me, the Heisei era is a favorite; it looks great, I care about the characters, the pace is usually good. Millenium has better characters, but lesser visuals and variable pacing and scripting. Showa doesn't always have the strongest visuals and the shallow characters can be hard to connect with, but the stories and pace are usually good.

For someone else, the silliness is the point, the seriousness is off-putting, and they connect with entirely different aspects of characters, so Showa is top and Heisei is unwatchable. It all comes down to personal preferences.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that no one does; just because you like it doesn't mean that everyone does. That's media, and art, in a nutshell.

Vs. Biollante is my favorite movie. Vs. Ebirah is my second. Look, I am now a madman to all of you; flame that, if you have to. :) But no need to rag on series that are beloved by thousands, here.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Zarm wrote:Hey, let's tone it down, guys. No need to hate on what other people are enjoying.

For me, the Heisei era is a favorite; it looks great, I care about the characters, the pace is usually good. Millenium has better characters, but lesser visuals and variable pacing and scripting. Showa doesn't always have the strongest visuals and the shallow characters can be hard to connect with, but the stories and pace are usually good.

For someone else, the silliness is the point, the seriousness is off-putting, and they connect with entirely different aspects of characters, so Showa is top and Heisei is unwatchable. It all comes down to personal preferences.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that no one does; just because you like it doesn't mean that everyone does. That's media, and art, in a nutshell.

Vs. Biollante is my favorite movie. Vs. Ebirah is my second. Look, I am now a madman to all of you; flame that, if you have to. :) But no need to rag on series that are beloved by thousands, here.

No. People will like what I like because I like it and what I like is good and what they like is bad...

No seriously this right here ^^. I'll share my own opinions on series but this isn't the first time I've encountered the "you must have brain damage if you enjoy the Showa series." mentality. I watch them because they are fun.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Billzilla1974 wrote: How can Shittier movies filled with beam spams, boring fights, stale acting, horrid flying props and only one original monster concept be superior? Oh wait, at least there super serious and oblivious to their own ridiculousness, that automatically makes them COMPLETLY SUPERIOR! :roll:
The only people oblivious to the silliness of all Godzilla films is the fans. Like the same kind of fans who were butthurt because they felt like Final Wars was poking fun at them (it was, but that was good).

Beam spams? Better than dancing and throwing rocks in badly designed environments that make every effort to remind you that you're watching normal dudes in suits. Boring fights? Where are all these not-boring fights in Showa? I keep looking but never find them. Stale acting? LOL. Outside of Gojira, there is not a single good performance by anyone in any Showa movie. Horrid flying props? Are we going to pretend we don't clearly see strings every time anything flies in a Showa movie now? And actually there was more than one original monster concept. As far as re-using a lot of the classics, yeah, Heisei rescued potentially cool ideas from the eternal laughingstock Showa wanted to condemn them to.

Heisei has plenty of flaws, but at least the movies are watchable. Sadly, many of the Showa pictures are not. I refuse to believe any of you actually sit and watch intently through the entirety of, say, Godzilla vs. Gigan, or Megalon, or Ebirah, or Mechagodzilla. If you actually subject yourself to that... then God have mercy on your soul.
Hold on, Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla?? you're saying no one can watch through it because you think its a bad movie? So apparently people can watch every silly/cringeworthy moment in the Heisei era and still call them good movies, but GvsMG is somehow too bad to watch through??? :lol:
Beam spamming repeatedly over half a dozen films is better than actually choreographed, original physical fights?? NO.
Where are the not boring fights in Showa? Y'know, in KKvs G, MvsG, GTTHM, Monster zero, both MechaGodzilla films. :lol:
The environments in the Heisei series aren't perfecto, every city scene looks fake as hell, the 'outer space' in GvsSG is horrible, and not a single movie in the Heisei series has better performance than the high end of the Showa films, and that's excluding the original.
Oh and don't act like you didn't see the wires on every single Heisei prop ( Rodan & Destoryah)
Do you really expect the fans who have been berated for preferring the silliness of the Showa films to suddenly flip and accept the silliness of the complete mess that is Final Wars?? :roll:

Added in 3 minutes 35 seconds:
*Also notice how there is no "do you hate the Heisei series" thread, but there is a "do you hate the Showa series" thread.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

There actually is merit to the terrible city scapes. I forget what docu it was but because godzilla was constantly getting bigger.. and since you can't just make the suit bigger the buildings became smaller thus crappy looking cities.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla