Monster Discussion #44: Godzilla (1984-1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
UltramanGoji

Monster Discussion #44: Godzilla (1984-1994)

Post by UltramanGoji »

This is the discussion thread for the Godzilla featured in the Heisei series.

For those not in the know...
Do I even need to say anything? You know who this is!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster Discussion #44: Godzilla (1984-1994)

Post by Space Hunter M »

Bolky, not fat.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Still prefer the '84 suit (save for a few shots of the face) over those that followed.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

I'm all about that Biollante suit. The 84 suit has its charm as well.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Missingno. wrote:Still prefer the '84 suit (save for a few shots of the face) over those that followed.
Gotta agree here. Only Heisei suit I liked. Always loved the placement of the spines too.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Castellan Zilla wrote:
Missingno. wrote:Still prefer the '84 suit (save for a few shots of the face) over those that followed.
Gotta agree here. Only Heisei suit I liked. Always loved the placement of the spines too.
I feel the same here regarding the way the spines were placed. The suit overall just looks like "Godzilla". Bulky, slow-moving, angered look in the face, etc., that is all what is represented in this suit, while the later ones didn't quite have that feeling of being Godzilla as this one did. It is definitely what comes to mind when I think of the character.

Also regarding the appearance of Godzilla changing between '84-'89 through what has been said somewhere on this site before:

"Apparently, volcanoes are good plastic surgeons."
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I actually think the GhidoGoji is an improvement over the Biollante suits. It seems better proportioned and more regal looking I guess.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

I've always felt that way myself. I've never understood the love for the G89 suit. Hell, it's in an awesome movie, but going with those similar looking Heisei designs, I prefer '91.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The 89 suit, as shown in the OP picture, looks kind of squat. Like a squished version of the 91 suit.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

While all the Heisei designs are very similar to each other they're not as similar as people say I can always figure out which one is which they're not identical as some have said.

89 has no lines on his neck and is not as fat as later incarnations.
91 has no lines and is more muscular with a longer neck, different eyes and a bigger more defined longer chest.
92 starts the neck line trait, is Skinner than later incarnations but also looks more stunted than the others.
93 is a fat ass with no space between the spikes they're all jumbled together.
And 94 is generally different enough from the rest that I don't need to explain.

I never understood why some people have trouble figuring out which is which, I find it as easy to differante the designs as it is for the Showa G designs.
Godzilla

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

For me the 89 suit is the best of they Heisei because its all about the eyes. Maybe its because most of Bio-goji's scenes take place at night where as Ghido-goji's are during the day, but bio-goji's eyes disappear into the shadows of his face which gives him a more sinister imposing look. I love the Ghido-goji as well, but for me the 89 suit just barely edges it out.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

The 84 suit was a nice attempt to recapture the look and feel of the 54 suit, but ends up looking to stiff and expressionless
In some shots and angles I like the 89 suit the best, and in other shots and angles I like the 91 suit better.
92 and later suits become to bulky.
Last edited by szmigiel on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Love the 1994/1995 suit. For me, the bigger eyes give it more personality; they add to the character, while still retaining a sense of ferocity. Makes it look more observant and intelligent.

Come to appreciate the 1989 suit more as well. I love how the eyes look black and completely feral in nighttime scenes, it's pretty chilling. But on the contrary, I don't like the 1991 suit much. Ironically, I find it too built, especially in the legs. The top of the head looks like it has a big bump at most angles and is somewhat distracting.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

My favorite Godzilla, 1984-1991-wise of the series. Memorable, fierce, cool and overall awesome.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Could you start a discussion thread for Super Godzilla?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LegendZilla wrote:Could you start a discussion thread for Super Godzilla?
Even if he's under the Godzilla copyright, talk of the VG monsters might do better in the Video Game section of the forum, don't you think? This category's specifically for the films and shows of the various eras. That could be fun.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Castellan Zilla wrote:I've always felt that way myself. I've never understood the love for the G89 suit. Hell, it's in an awesome movie, but going with those similar looking Heisei designs, I prefer '91.
Agreed. Godzilla '91 is one of my favorite designs for the character.

Anyway, Heisei Godzilla? I like that he gets an arc similar to the second Showa incarnation, steadily becoming more of an ally and reluctant "hero" over the course of the series. But what I really like about this version is the element of tragic inevitability the films build up around him. From his origin revealed in vs. King Ghidorah to the way he meets his end, this is a monster destined to be victimized and used by the various humans in a position to do so, both by design and by accident. Fitting for a walking nuclear metaphor, and all his attacks are granted an equal level of somberness. Only in the second half of the series do the movies really ask for sympathy, coinciding with the introduction of the younger Godzilla and Godzilla's shift into a seemingly more peaceful life. Even then, this is a universe where characters remember that he, you know, killed a lot of people, and aren't content to just leave things be.

The Heisei movies aren't my favorites, minus bright spots like vs. King Ghidorah, but I do think the series manages to do interesting things with his character as a whole.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LegendZilla wrote:Could you start a discussion thread for Super Godzilla?
Start it yourself

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

89' and 92' are my all time favorite designs. To me Heisei Goji is the Godzilla i think of when i think of the character in general. Iconic and unforgettable design.
Member of TK Since 2006

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Officially, this is the only Godzilla that demonstrated the ability to perform the "nuclear pulse" unless you also count G2K.

Is it possible that other Godzillas have such an ability locked away?