Monster Discussion #44: Godzilla (1984-1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster Discussion #44: Godzilla (1984-1994)

Post by Ivo-goji »

^I don't see why not.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

The 93 design is for me the second worst design in the franchise.
Godzilla

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

This Godzilla has a nice suit design, going for a more feral look. It's also portrayed as a powerhouse.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

g2vd wrote:The 93 design is for me the second worst design in the franchise.
I'm curious as to what the worst is.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Missingno. wrote:Still prefer the '84 suit (save for a few shots of the face) over those that followed.
If the face was revamped on both sides, since the 1984 suit face was lifeless and the other one would have been scary if it weren't jarring, and melded into one, I'd take that option over the Biollante or the GhidoGoji suit. But I really like DestoGojir and SupesuGoji, even if the thighs were utterly terrible.

I really like the spines of BioGoji.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The 84 suit is a nice design but it's just so lifeless when in motion.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Godzillian wrote:The 84 suit is a nice design but it's just so lifeless when in motion.
That's the hugest issue with it by far. The head was a major step back especially. A good design, but it really didn't emote unless it was the cybot. The cybot was too out of place, but we can all agree on that. Plus the Godzilla foot smashing on the street was just bad. The suit itself? Not really good imo.

As much as I do like the 84 design, I have to say that I like the later ones much better, thunder thighs and all, even though I like the effort of trying to get back to basics.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

My favorite version of the Heisei Godzilla is 94/95.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Ah yeah, Heisei Godzilla, a truly remarkable characterization of the big G. BioGoji is definitely my most favorite design, BatoGoji is nice but he's got the derpy-eyed look of 84Goji though. RadoGoji has some odd proportions, and Moge/DesuGoji is overall a good suit, albeit you can easily tell that whatever he had for dinner went straight to his hips.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

LegendZilla wrote:Is it possible that other Godzillas have such an ability locked away?
If they hope real hard, Legendzilla, if they hope real hard...
In fact, I'm sure the 1967 Godzilla can.
(Can we make that a thing? Nuclear Pulsing Godzilla 1967)

Anyways- I like 84-91 (design-wise)
I hate how all the suits look in action, everyone of them moves like a big lumbering stiff pile of stiffness, they looks like theyre struggling to even raise its arms to swat. -_-
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Godzilla 1984 was the best suit in the Heisei series IMO, It has that classic Godzilla look with an updated fiercness, and those animatronic snarls are the best.
The expressions that came from that cybot was incredible
Nice design, perfect spines, awesome atomic breath. It's a perfect design.

I wish they would have got rid of that feline look, I liked it on the 89 suit, but after that, I was tired of it.
They should have just changed the design in each movie like they did in every other movie :lol:

I like that it also looks like they were aware of the stiffness of the suit and tried to shoot around it, althouth that train scene looks lazy (Godzilla looks. lazy I mean)
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

I like all the suits, some had some problems like 84 Godzilla had an odd face design. IDK which is my favorite, possibly from vs King Ghidorah but unsure.

Personally this was my favorite era for Godzilla. I like how much emotion they introduced to Godzilla, a level we hadn't seen before or since, and I think it fits. In the Heisei era he was able to introduce a few things.

He was able to show what possibly could be fear (His scream as he fell into the volcano)

Regret and Sorrow (His brief interaction with Shindo)

Being a Father (Basically from Mechagodzilla 2 to Destroyah)

Showing compassion and love (The look he gives Baby Godzilla when he reaches him, the way he used his body as a shield for Baby Godzilla, and the fact he was chasing Jr around the country to see him one last time)

Greif, Agony, and Unbridled Rage ( When Jr dies and you see him desperately trying to revive him and he cries for only the second time in the series, and the rage when he unleashes his full power on his sons killer, Destroyah)

Pain (In Destroyah, you can tell he is in excruciating pain the whole movie)
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

This Godzilla is my favorite incarnation of the character. He's the most powerful Godzilla (screw you GFW), but he's not too overpowered in comparison to his enemies. The '89 design is my second favorite suit (1962 barely edges out). I don't like the '91 suit as much because it looks to.. bulky.
Resized Image

Panther10
JXSDF Technician

Post by Panther10 »

I like the 89 suit the most. The 1991 suit looks awesome from the neck up, but the rest of the suit looks...I don't know...kinda pruney? Like it spent too much time in the water and the skin is way too saggy. Which I guess would make sense since the 91 suit was essentially the "sea version" of the Godzilla suit used for water scenes in Godzilla vs. Biollante.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

The first thunder thighs king*. Pretty good incarnation of Godzilla. Not my favorite, (he sucks in hand to hand combat) but a good interpretation of Godzilla nonetheless. The 1991 suit is my personal favorite. His character development is good, although he just stays an anti-hero the whole time.

*Yep the first thunder thighs. The 1962 suit still could fight in hand to hand combat pretty well.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Look at my username. This guy is my favorite version of the character. Not just for his design, but for his personality and the character arc they gave him. As much as I love Showa, Legendary, and the original, they just can't hold a candle to my big, beautiful, bolky boy.
Last edited by HeiseiGodzilla117 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Panther10
JXSDF Technician

Post by Panther10 »

I just want to chime in once again and piggyback on some of the things that others have mentioned regarding the Heisei Godzilla's personal impact on the fandom and such.

I was born in late 1983 and by the time I was nearly two years old, Godzilla 1985 was brought to U.S. Theaters and my parents took me to the theaters to see this film. So this would have not only been the first Godzilla movie I've ever watched; not only the first monster movie I ever saw as a child but also the first movie I ever watched. Period. I was born just before a time that there were VCR's, or VHS tapes, or Blockbuster Videos, or even before my parents decided to upgrade to Cable. So Godzilla 1985 was my first venture into the franchise. Now of course when I was two, my brain couldn't comprehend the cultural significance of this movie. I didn't realize it was a reboot of a classic, or that there have been many other monsters besides Godzilla and that he even co-starred with quite a few of them. Hell I didn't even know at the time that there were more Godzilla films beyond the one I went to see with my parents. But this movie was significant enough for me that it set me on a path. I didn't understand or comprehend what I was seeing....but I know that I wanted to see more.

And at first, my ventures into discovering what Godzilla was, were pretty limited. Immediately after seeing the film, my parents bought a few toys to give to me on Christmas morning. One was the 12" Imperial Godzilla, and the second was a little toy credit card clasp that had Godzilla's likeness in the form of a figurine. A few years later the first Blockbuster videos opened their first shop in my Neighborhood, and I was exposed to video games featuring the monster, movie posters and most importantly: More movies!!. Now these were just the classic films at first and Blockbuster didn't have a large selection at the time. There were probably 6 films total that were regularly stocked at any given point at first. They had of course Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla versus Monster Zero, Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster, Terror of MechaGodzilla and of course...who could forget Godzilla 1985? So I rented all of these films -- and because this was still a time before I had to deal with things like homework and any type of schooling beyond preschool --I was able to watch these movies in rapid succession at a pretty steady clip a couple of times a month (sprinkled in with some hefty doses of Disney movies too because my parents swore that they also had value...)

So i kept this up for more than a few years. over a period of about a decade I was eventually able to watch more classic movies on vhs, I grabbed a couple more figures too but it wasn't until 1994 that things really took off, I didn't realize it at the time but it was my first real foray into the Heisei film series. Now most of this was pretty passive at first. I was about 10 years old at the time and I was still mostly watching the old films, but it was around this time that I started collecting comic books and consequently I routinely visited my local comic book shop. Now most often when I was there I was looking for superhero stuff. Godzilla was still on my radar but by the time I was ten I was also collecting a myriad of other things. But one day while I was poking around this shop I came across this little stack of Godzilla comics published by Dark Horse. And of course I wanted to purchase everything I grabbed but I also had an allowance to consider so I only bought one comic book. It was the Godzilla vs Charles Barkley comic. I wished I could grab one of the others but this seemed like the only comic I could grab that didn't require me to start from the beginning or find myself neck deep in the middle of a larger story arc. So I took the book home and read it until I wore out the cover and that (as they say) was that. But I didn't have to wait that long until something else caught my attention.

Within that same calendar year, my father brought home something unexpected. A coworker of my father had told him that during a recent visit to Toys R Us, he found these Godzilla figures for his kid. Some of them lit up, some of them made noise and they came in a bunch of different sizes. So my dad stopped by a local Toys R Us and brought home some of these figures for me to play with. This was my first introduction to the toyline from Trendmasters. I loved this line, but because I didn't have a huge budget I didn't collect a lot of these. I think I stuck with the basic 4" Godzilla, Rodan and King Ghidorah and eventually in 1997 I found the 6" power-up Godzilla. These toys were fun but I was kind of confused by them. I didn't understand why they didn't look at all like the monsters in those old movies. Not only that but on the cardbacks that the toys came with, there were pictures of other monsters that I did not recognize. At first I thought that those must be monsters that were present in those Dark Horse comic books but in 98 when I picked up the Digest versions of the book I realized that this wasn't the case either. Where were these monsters from? Were there even more films? How many Godzilla movies had I not seen? That answer came in the fall of 1999...And it was a game changer

In 1999, my local Blockbuster Videos began carrying the english dubbed Heisei films that were brought over to the US thanks in part to the licensing agreement by Tri-Star and Columbia Pictures. The first movie I ever rented was Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and to my surprise, everything started to add up..Finally!! I know knew where Mecha-King Ghidorah came from, I understood via reference that there was a movie that featured Biollante, and even Godzilla and King Ghidorah's design matched their Trendmasters counterparts. Over the next couple of months that led me to purchase the rest of the heisei films. By the time I was finished with high school I had already dipped my toes into collecting some figures from the vintage Godzilla vinyls from Bandai. By College I started checking out G-Fest which began touring in Chicago, I then briefly set my sights on buying model kits and garage toys too. Sure enough as time went on, the heisei Godzilla became my quintessential, ideal version of the monster.

I still have a soft spot for the Showa period, since its what opened the door for me and it was all I had in the early days. But ever since I discovered the Heisei films (and even the later films, the pendulum has swung completely the other way and it never really swung back towards the early stuff. Is till watch the films and I still collect a few toys that are based on the early incarnations of those monsters, but I'm not so heavily invested in Showa as I am Heisei. That version, to me, will always be Godzilla.
Last edited by Panther10 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Still my favorite incarnation of Godzilla. Showa, MV, Shin and 54 all come close, but he still holds out above them. No other incarnation radiates power and menace in equal measure as much this one, yet he still remains a tragic character who elicits sympathy all the while. This will always be the first thing that comes to mind when I think “Godzilla”.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Witch godzilla is the face of the reiwa Era

Post by miguelnuva » Wed May 04, 2022 12:47 pm

Gailah 1966 wrote: ↑Wed May 04, 2022 7:16 am

miguelnuva wrote: ↑Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:32 am
Heisei Godzilla is John Cena. Shin Godzilla is Roman Reigns.

I don´t agree. Heisei Godzilla had a wider move-set than Cena.

Added in 1 minute 59 seconds:
You also need to look beyond the edge of the plate meaning NJPW, AEW, AJPW, NOAH...

Heisei had atomic breath, pulse and tackle. He was a giant Pokemon.

Heisei Godzilla could do much more than that:
-he choked and stomped Rodan
-he front neck locked and slammed Mechagodzilla II
-he chopped Spacegodzilla
-he used his pranks/claws against Destroyah
-he bites Biollante
-he bites and slammed Battra
-he tail slammed Battra Larva
-he shoulder blocked a skyscraper
-he tail slammed King Ghidorah

Heisei was also a close combat expert
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Thu May 05, 2022 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I feel that Godzilla 84-89 and 91-94 should’ve been separate threads.