Lost projects: Godzilla vs Mechani-Kong/ King Kong

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Lost projects: Godzilla vs Mechani-Kong/ King Kong

Post by miguelnuva »

So what happened to the sections for these two films in the cutting room section? Also lets discuss what little we know about these two films and which do you think would have been better.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Lost projects: Godzilla vs Mechani-Kong/ King Kong

Post by edgaguirus »

I would have liked the Mechanikong idea of going inside Godzilla.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

A Remade/Contemporary version of Kong vs. Godzilla would have been really cool to see. With up-to-date suits, better effects and such, it'd been a hit if it just weren't of the complications that held it back.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I don't think we know much about it, really. In fact, since supposedly Toho was not allowed to use either Kong character, I doubt the script or anything of that sort got very far along and therefore there's not much story to tell. What year was this supposed to get released had it actually been made? I'm guessing 90s instead of 80s.

As for the idea, I'm all for it on paper. It would've fit with the pseudo-grounded universe set up by the 80s films, and I'm a huge proponent of doing a modern King Kong and Godzilla film. The part I wonder about is that the Heisei suits had gotten quite bulky and less than ideal for close-quarters clashes, so I wonder how effective it would've actually looked onscreen.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Tohosaurus wrote:I don't think we know much about it, really. In fact, since supposedly Toho was not allowed to use either Kong character, I doubt the script or anything of that sort got very far along and therefore there's not much story to tell. What year was this supposed to get released had it actually been made? I'm guessing 90s instead of 80s.

As for the idea, I'm all for it on paper. It would've fit with the pseudo-grounded universe set up by the 80s films, and I'm a huge proponent of doing a modern King Kong and Godzilla film. The part I wonder about is that the Heisei suits had gotten quite bulky and less than ideal for close-quarters clashes, so I wonder how effective it would've actually looked onscreen.
King Kong would shoot hand lightning blasts like Goku in Dragonball Z? I don't see any other alternative unless it was slimmed down to make for an interesting conflict.Perhaps a fighting style like Raids Again would suffice?

For all the things the Heisei series did right, making the suit bulky to the point of beam wars being the only reaction made it seriously lame.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kong would have gone up against BioGoji so they might have been able to T&C.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

miguelnuva wrote:Kong would have gone up against BioGoji so they might have been able to T&C.
I doubt it the suit would have still been altered, but if King Kong was made maybe it might have had alterations to benefit actual combat.
Godzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

If the movie was made Pre-Bulkness of the Heisei era, this would have T&C moments, no doubt. But any other time afterwards, it'd not have worked.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Wish this had happened, with T&C-enabled suits. Oh well, at least there's hope that a modern Kong vs Godzilla might happen in the coming years.

xenomorph1979
Ronin

Post by xenomorph1979 »

So this is going to be what I would have done as a producer or executive,

So the first issue and the most important element of the film is the fight scenes. if I had made the film the fights would have been melee oriented. The fights would consist of biting, clawing, punching, kicking and grappling. Let's break it down to see how each monster would fight. Kong of course would be fighting exclusively with melee. I think he would actual perform many of the techniques we saw Ghidorah use in the 91 film. Kong would grab Godzilla by the tail and slam him against the ground. I could also see Kong strangling Godzilla like Ghidorah did. Either Kong while grappling with Godzilla puts him in a chock hold or the more likely scenario knocks Godzilla to the ground. Kong tackles Godzilla and both crash to the ground. Kong then either lays or sits on Godzilla and grabs his throat. He then begins to strangle Godzilla, As he puts more pressure on Godzilla's throat Godzilla begins to foam at the mouth signaling that he is dying. He then uses his nuclear pulse to get Kong off of him. Kong would be doing a lot of punching, kicking, biting and throwing. But unlike the other Heisei movies Godzilla would be fighting primarily with melee tactics. He would still use his atomic breath but he would rely more on his teeth, claws, tail and his strength.

Like previously stated both monsters would be fighting using mostly melee tactics throughout the film. The heisei era while later it relied mainly on beam wars did have some impressive melee scenes in it's first two vs movies. The fights would be brutal to go with the darker tone of the early heisei era. Godzilla would claw at Kong's face, chest, abs and appendages. He would use his teeth to bite Kong on the shoulder, arms and even abs when he's on the ground. He would still use his atomic breath but would soon realize he would have to use melee tactics to kill kong. Kong would fight like a boxer, a mma fighter and a wrestler. He would punch and grapple. He would also at least once in the film use his famous jaw break technique. He would also pick up Godzilla and throw him, or flip him over his shoulder. Godzilla would also throw Kong like he did with MechaGodzilla. .Kong would punch Godzilla in the snout breaking it or shatter Godzilla's teeth. Godzilla would batter Kong with his tail or beat kong to the ground and then stomp on him with his feet and claw at him with his foot claws. Kong and Godzilla would grapple a lot and the fight would be fast paced. The grappling would be nothing like the bumping we got in the films, it would be like a wrestling match. Both Kong and Godzilla would claw, bite and kick when they were grappling with each other. I would make the heisei Godzilla a much more skilled and formidable melee fighter.

The fights would be brutal and the fights would also be bloody and long. Godzilla vs Biolantee and Godzilla vs King Ghidorah had very violent melee fights so its not impossible to imagine. To emphasize that Kong and Godzilla hate each other and see each other as rival alphas the fights would be very animalistic.

Following in Heisei tradition Kong and Godzilla would engage in three battles, the first two end in a draw but the third ends in either a clearly defined winner or if the studio pressured me I would go with s draw ending

Ending 1
Kong and Godzilla engage in a long and brutal fight in either a city or field. Both monsters inflict horrific wounds upon one another, both are covered in blood,lacerations and bruises. They are evenly matched throughout the battle until eventually after hours of fighting Kong gains the upper hand,. The fight ends with both monsters laying on the ground locked in mortal combat, when finally Kong is able to kill Godzilla. Either Kong breaks his jaw, crushes Godzilla's skull , snaps his neck or disembowels Godzilla. Kong lies on top of Godzilla's body battered and wounded He is past the point of exhaustion and fatigue. Kong fought Godzilla three times over a period of three days and the saurian had inflicted a lot of damage on him . Weakly standing up he places his foot on Godzilla's limp corpse and beats his chest. He roars loudly signifying his triumph and showing that he is the superior alpha male. He then heads towards the coast to return home..

Ending 2
Kong and Godzilla engage in a long and brutal fight in either a city or field. Both monsters inflict horrific wounds upon one another, both are covered in blood,lacerations and bruises. They are evenly matched throughout the battle until eventually after hours of fighting Godzilla gains the upper hand. The fight ends with both monsters laying on the ground locked in mortal combat when finally Godzilla is able to kill Kong. Godzilla kills Kong by either biting/snapping his neck, disemboweled kong or by crushing his skull..Godzilla collapses on top of his slain opponent. Godzilla is covered in his own blood having suffered many horrific wounds that have not healed yet. Godzilla has passed the point of exhaustion and fatigue. Godzilla fought Kong three times over a period of three days and the ape did an incredible amount of damage to the saurian.
Weakly standing up Godzilla places one foot on Kong's lifeless corpse and lets out a thundering roar. It signifies his triumph and that he is the superior alpha male and the true king. He than heads towards the coast battered and exhausted to head home.

Ending 3.
Kong and Godzilla engage in a long and brutal fight in either a city or field. Both monsters inflict horrific wounds upon one another, both are covered in bloods, wounds and bruises. They are evenly matched throughout the battle. Eventually after hours of fighting the two kaiju collapse to the ground at the same time. They have performed a double knockout. Both monsters rest on the street for a few minuted before they both wake up and glare at each other. Both monsters are exhausted and are injured. Both have inflicted horrific wounds upon each other and both are battered. They see each others as equals and to everyone's surprise both monsters leave the city in opposite directions. It is as if they have both decided to call it a draw and they now see the other as their equal. Both monsters are the king

The film would replace Godzilla vs King Ghidorah in the timeline and the later films would be much different

Now let's talk about the design of the monsters and the monsters characteristics.Both monsters would be redesigned. Godzilla would look like his bigoji suit and would be 100 meters tall. Godzilla would have his muscular 1991 design with the pronounced chest, he wouldn't be fat like the later heisei designs. Also Godzilla arms would be long and muscular. He would be able to grip,claw and punch opponents. Also this Godzilla is much more adept in melee combat and is far more flexible than his later counterparts. Kong design change is the following. I would make him 100 meters tall snd I would make him much more muscular so he could match the design of the biogoji suit which is very muscular. I never liked the original design Toho went with. I don't like the 2005 design as even though it is the most realistic I find Kong to be odd looking. I would base it of the 76 suit but heavily modify it. First I would make Kong a lot more muscular, the 76 suit always looked frail to me. I like the 33 design because it is a great combination of human and gorilla features. Kong looked buff, he had a almost Sasquatch design. I would make Kong's arms and legs more muscular. I would make his pecs much more muscular and defined like the 33 and animated series version, I would also give him a six pack My reasoning is simple Kong shouldn't just look like a ape but not look human either he should have elements from both. The reason that I would make Godzilla and Kong as buff as possible is for one reason, they are kings and alpha males. I want them to look like warrior kings. The 62 Kong looked stupid and the later heist Godzilla was fat and laughable. Godzilla would be as buff as he was in 91 and Kong would be a lot more muscular and jacked . I want these monsters to seem powerful. They should look like physical gods with the massive amount of pure physical strength they both posses.

I would make Godzilla and Kong equals in physical strength, intelligence, combat skill and durability, Kong would have the advantage of being able to gain strength from electricity and his stubbirness . Kong like Godzilla is impervious to all military weapons and human weapons, He can survive extreme heat and can swim for days without stoping. The only thing strong enough to kill Kong is Godzilla.Kong has fought other monsters and has killed them with ease. Kong would also have regenerative abilities just not a strong as Godzilla's. Godzilla would have his superior healing factor and atomic breath to give him an advantage. Godzilla like kong is impervious to all weapons but unlike Kong can survive in molten kava. But Kong is physically strong enough to pierce his flesh and the only monster on earth strong enough to kill Godzilla is Kong. Godzilla has killed many monsters with ease and Kong is the first one to truely put up a fight and be a threat to him. Both monster have and incredibly high pain tolerance and are extremely stubborn. They would be equals white fighting and both would engage in mostly melee combat. To me them being evenly matched would show them as the two most powerful forces on earth colliding, Obviously when they are fighting it would go back and forth between them gaining the upper hand. I want Godzilla to face an opponent who is physically his equal and a real challenge. I want them to be frustrated that they can not overpower the other physically which fuels their hatred. Godzilla is the only monster capable of killing Kong and Kong is the only monster capable of killing Godzilla

The fights would be long and brutal, with Kong and Godzilla inflicting horrific wounds upon each other. By the end of the film both would be bloodied and battered This is to show that the two of them are the only force on earth strong enough to kill the other. Kong and Godzilla would see each other as rival males and rival alphas. The two would seek out and want to kill the other to prove their dominance.I would have them want to defeat each other using their physical prowess like real animals and rivals would, I would make them natural enemies and that there species has clashes before, Kong was not captured by humans he swam to Japan on his own free will to battle and kill Godzilla. Godzilla came to Japan to fight and kill Kong, The two have clashed twice before once on skull island and once on the island Godzilla lived. However both times have ended in a draw due to outside forces interrupting their battle

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

From the "Unused Toho Creations" thread ,and provided by Mr. X. This concept art, upon featuring battling it out with an unused foe in Las Vegas called ,Archaeopteryx. Named after the feathered ,winged dinosaur that was the theorized missing link between dinosaurs and birds. You can also see two shots of a submarine vehicle, and a pic of the JSDF crew dispatched to pilot it. As some may know, GODZILLA Vs. MECHANI-KONG, Mechani-Kong was deployed of course to take down the Big-G. And part of the plan was to use a miniaturized submarine and crew to be injected into Godzilla's system, and take him from within. I'm surprised that the designs got that far on the project, and that there weren't any Mechani-Kong, or King Kong concept art to developed along the for the pitch. It also looked like the flick might've been set as well in the United States, more specifically Vegas baby. :lol: Expanding the film to more international setting that the early Heisei Series was playing with. Archeopteryx was supposed to be a product of mutation according to some rumors due radiation emanating from Mechani-Kong. Perhaps from a design flaw on the robot if the rumor is true.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Hopefully, it's okay to resurrect this so I bring my thoughts into this.
I think it would've been fantastic if it weren't for the legal rights issues that've been ongoing since the mid-70s.

Personally, since it's highly likely that Godzilla would've remained at 80 metres (265 feet tall) since '84 and vs. Biollante, I think Kong would've been about 70-75 metres (230-250 feet tall) had this saw the light of day.

Now that would be a really large ape. ^_^
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

What are your thoughts about Skull Island? How do you guys think Godzilla would have come across the island, what was King Kong doing before he crossed paths with Godzilla? Was he fighting another kaiju or just chilling? Would we see the wildlife and ruins of Skull Island (would the gate and mountains be like 62), and King Kong's design???? I'd post way more about my opinions on this, but in terms of King Kong's design I totally agree Xenomorph on King Kong essentially being 76's design but longer arms, way way way more buff, a longer face like 62 that is more menacing, and semi-dark brown fur with highlights. BioGoji is already menacing, literally just that design but sharper/longer teeth. What a beast, that one! Let's revive this thread yo!!!
Last edited by KingKong2005 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KingKong2005 wrote:What are your thoughts about Skull Island? How do you guys think Godzilla would have come across the island, what was King Kong doing before he crossed paths with Godzilla? Was he fighting another kaiju or just chilling? Would we see the wildlife and ruins of Skull Island (would the gate and mountains be like 62), and King Kong's design???? I'd post way more about my opinions on this, but in terms of King Kong's design I totally agree Xenomorph on King Kong essentially being 76's design but longer arms, way way way more buff, a longer face like 62 that is more menacing, and semi-dark brown fur with highlights. BioGoji is already menacing, literally just that design but sharper/longer teeth. What a beast, that one! Let's revive this thread yo!!!
Godzilla would have looked like GhidoGoji had this film came out.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

miguelnuva wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:What are your thoughts about Skull Island? How do you guys think Godzilla would have come across the island, what was King Kong doing before he crossed paths with Godzilla? Was he fighting another kaiju or just chilling? Would we see the wildlife and ruins of Skull Island (would the gate and mountains be like 62), and King Kong's design???? I'd post way more about my opinions on this, but in terms of King Kong's design I totally agree Xenomorph on King Kong essentially being 76's design but longer arms, way way way more buff, a longer face like 62 that is more menacing, and semi-dark brown fur with highlights. BioGoji is already menacing, literally just that design but sharper/longer teeth. What a beast, that one! Let's revive this thread yo!!!
Godzilla would have looked like GhidoGoji had this film came out.
my bad totally meant GhidoGoji! Where tf did 91 come from lmfao sorry about that haha
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

i imagine Kong would look like what everyone else thinks he would. 76 with the most beefy arms and beefy chest and another more oragutan looking face. also believe he would've fired electricity out out his hands kamehameha style.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

tyrantgoji wrote:i imagine Kong would look like what everyone else thinks he would. 76 with the most beefy arms and beefy chest and another more oragutan looking face. also believe he would've fired electricity out out his hands kamehameha style.
I really don't think King Kong should have had powers :freak:
Image Image

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

One thing we do know about Godzilla vs. King Kong thanks to Shinji Nishikawa is that the story featured Kong falling in love with a scientist who transforms him into a cyborg. If I had to guess, Godzilla probably fought and killed Kong in their first bout, and the scientists revives him as a cyborg so he can either beat Godzilla or fight him to a draw. Sounds like they just reused the basic idea for Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

tyrantgoji wrote:he would've fired electricity out out his hands kamehameha style.
He’d probably have something akin to Godzilla’s nuclear pulse, only electrical, and he’d definitely fire lightning from his eyes.

Added in 1 minute 56 seconds:
KingKong2005 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:i imagine Kong would look like what everyone else thinks he would. 76 with the most beefy arms and beefy chest and another more oragutan looking face. also believe he would've fired electricity out out his hands kamehameha style.
I really don't think King Kong should have had powers :freak:
That’s the shitty thing about the Heisei series, everything had to have unnecessary lasers
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

King of the Monsters wrote:One thing we do know about Godzilla vs. King Kong thanks to Shinji Nishikawa is that the story featured Kong falling in love with a scientist who transforms him into a cyborg. If I had to guess, Godzilla probably fought and killed Kong in their first bout, and the scientists revives him as a cyborg so he can either beat Godzilla or fight him to a draw. Sounds like they just reused the basic idea for Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah.
i can only imagine what Cyber Kong could have looked liked..... robotic arm, robotic eye, most likely a bunch of scars from his previous encounter with Godzilla. basically average 90's cyborg design.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!