Thoughts on the unmade GODZILLA (1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Thoughts on the unmade GODZILLA (1994)

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Dr. Professor wrote:I like the way things have turned out with the franchise, so I'm quite content with this having never been released.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy too! But in terms of Godzilla's reception here in the states, even his international appeal would probably less tainted than it was by the 98 movie.
On the same token we might not have had the Millenium series and probably no Shin so I'm not exactly complaining, just wondering what might have been.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Some new shots of the maquette have been released by the Stan Winston school including a fantastic closeup of the face.

https://twitter.com/GMANofMysteroid/sta ... UEs4Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/DangervilleTeam/sta ... G1CgQ&s=19
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:22 pm Some new shots of the maquette have been released by the Stan Winston school including a fantastic closeup of the face.

https://twitter.com/GMANofMysteroid/sta ... UEs4Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/DangervilleTeam/sta ... G1CgQ&s=19
TBH it still doesn't really look all that great. His face looks really scrunched.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Oh yeah I just came in to post that. That design looks really interesting. Best USA made villain kaiju design IMO. I like its 1990s vibe.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Kind of a generic kaiju, but yeah, definitely very 90's esque. God, that was such a good time. What little recollection I have of it is very aesthetically pleasing.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:52 am
On the same token we might not have had the Millenium series and probably no Shin so I'm not exactly complaining, just wondering what might have been.
I’m pretty sure It was Toho’s plan all along to immediately make Godzilla films after Tristar’s efforts, regardless of how they turned out. We would’ve at least gotten an alternate variant of the batch of films we got.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

That's how you redesign something.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I for one think there’s a 50/50 chance that this fandom will be less divided if we got this film instead.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:03 pm I for one think there’s a 50/50 chance that this fandom will be less divided if we got this film instead.
For all we know it could have been a train wreck.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:47 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:03 pm I for one think there’s a 50/50 chance that this fandom will be less divided if we got this film instead.
Well at least Godzilla would've looked and acted the right way. Or do you think that the alien-based origin would've been just as controversial?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:54 pm
Voyager wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:47 pm
Well at least Godzilla would've looked and acted the right way. Do you think that the alien-based origin would've been just as controversal?
A resounding yes. It completely removes Godzilla's meaning.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

It would had been nice but at the same time kind of glad it never happened because otherwise we never would have gotten the Heisei Gamera Trilogy.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:45 am It would had been nice but at the same time kind of glad it never happened because otherwise we never would have gotten the Heisei Gamera Trilogy.
It's sort of a misconception that Gamera GOTU was inspired by this version of Godzilla.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

tbeasley wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:02 amIt's sort of a misconception that Gamera GOTU was inspired by this version of Godzilla.
I mean ancient bio-weapons created from an advanced ancient race, have an ancient enemy they awaken to fight in response to them returning (Gyaos for Gamera, Gryphon for 1994 Godzilla).

Can that really be called a coincidence?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:24 am
tbeasley wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:02 amIt's sort of a misconception that Gamera GOTU was inspired by this version of Godzilla.
I mean ancient bio-weapons created from an advanced ancient race, have an ancient enemy they awaken to fight in response to them returning (Gyaos for Gamera, Gryphon for 1994 Godzilla).

If there's zero evidence of one directly influencing the other? Yes, it can.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

One perk of if we got this film instead could've been an even better GTAS. There's no denying said animated series was an improvement over the film that inspired it, but it was ultimately held back by the fact it had GINO and not Godzilla.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:24 amI mean ancient bio-weapons created from an advanced ancient race, have an ancient enemy they awaken to fight in response to them returning (Gyaos for Gamera, Gryphon for 1994 Godzilla).

From what I understand the production timelines for both films don't line up for that to happen - for Daiei to somehow know the American Godzilla film being made was going to have those features, etc.

Atlantis is mentioned in the original Gamera film, but director Kaneko felt a giant flying turtle monster wasn't something that could come about naturally, so he and screenwriter Ito made him an artificial creation of an advanced civilization (tapping into common Atlantean lore). This also gave a good explanation for why Gamera would a guardian kaiju in the first place (as in previous films).

Kaneko feels kaiju are best explained by a combination of sci-fi and fantasy (look at Gamera 1, 3 and GMK), so a lot of it just comes down to his own sensibilities.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

tbeasley wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:42 am
Kaneko feels kaiju are best explained by a combination of sci-fi and fantasy (look at Gamera 1, 3 and GMK), so a lot of it just comes down to his own sensibilities.
Could Aurthur C. Clarke's Third law apply to Kaiju?

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzillaninja2019 »

I read the script and i love the stan winston design for godzilla curious will the effects for the film would be simaler to jurassic Park tex break out scenes(I also would not mind if they make a figure for it) also if this did got made would it sequel and would they use Mothra, rodan, mechagodzilla and ghidorah just like the monsterverse is doing what would their design would be like