Godzilla: The Animated Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What are your thoughts?

LOVE IT
36%
Like it
42%
Neutral
11%
Dislike it
5%
ARRRGHH SKREEENK GINO
6%

Total votes: 194

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Godzilla: The Animated Series

Post by edgaguirus »

I also liked the Ice Borers. They weren't as big a threat to Zilla, but they were good monsters.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I wish this show had a more clear idea of how to handle Godzilla. Some eps he is one of the characters, others he's just another monster, and in some of the worst Godzilla feels like an afterthought in his own show!

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Speaking of treating Godzilla inconsistently, one thing that always drove me nuts about the show was how it would continuously show us Godzilla tanking military strikes, attacks from other monsters, natural disasters, assaults from alien warships, and everything in between... But then Nick and HEAT would always beg the military not to shoot at Godzilla because they might hurt him.

It made no sense. :lol:
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:Speaking of treating Godzilla inconsistently, one thing that always drove me nuts about the show was how it would continuously show us Godzilla tanking military strikes, attacks from other monsters, natural disasters, assaults from alien warships, and everything in between... But then Nick and HEAT would always beg the military not to shoot at Godzilla because they might hurt him.

It made no sense. :lol:
To be fair, one has to remember how fragile the first Zilla was in the '98 movie. Even after he was resurrected and made more powerful as Cyber Zilla, his durability was always questionable. So even though Zilla Jr. WAS far more durable, their concerns were still valid.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Nick does have kind of a father/son relationship with Jr. If someone was beating on your son, you'd tell him to stop.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Cyber-Godzilla was awesome. So was C-Rex and the Cobra.
Honestly it's such a shame we never got a toyline for this.
Sometimes I just gaze at the prototypes and wonder what might have been... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It was good for what it was back in its day.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Was there ever an explanation of why Zilla Jr. had an atomic ray but the first Zilla, his biological father, never did until he was resurrected as Cyber Zilla?

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Was there ever an explanation of why Zilla Jr. had an atomic ray but the first Zilla, his biological father, never did until he was resurrected as Cyber Zilla?
Fan service.
Facts don't care about your feelings

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Was there ever an explanation of why Zilla Jr. had an atomic ray but the first Zilla, his biological father, never did until he was resurrected as Cyber Zilla?
I don't think the fans cared, lol.

My head canon explanation was that GINO absolutely had an atomic ray....he just never used it.

And hey, Cyber Zilla (which was made from the corpse of daddy Zilla) had an atomic ray, so that kind of supports my dumb head canon.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

All we get is a line in the first ep saying that this Godzilla is different from its parent in biology and personality but who needs an answer other than that

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I loved watching this series on Fox Kids back in the day. I also had the first Game Boy Color game and I played that second most next to Pokemon, even beat it a few times. I recently picked up the Monster Wars GBC game and its better than the first one. Wish I knew about it as a kid.

This Godzilla actually felt like Godzilla.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Love this show. It had some great action, some awesome kaiju, and it made it clear that Zilla/Tristar Goji can be as much of a Godzilla as any other. GTS Goji is a good boi.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

This shows really a product of its time, it’s got some good moments spread throughout but the dialogue and characters are mostly just too corny for me to handle

I bought the complete series dvd back in the day for 5 bucks and watched it once, that was about all I could take.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Orichalcum wrote:This shows really a product of its time, it’s got some good moments spread throughout but the dialogue and characters are mostly just too corny for me to handle

I bought the complete series dvd back in the day for 5 bucks and watched it once, that was about all I could take.
EY FRENCHIE
FRENCH FRY

I thought the episodes had a lot of unique ideas and monsters, and in some episodes there was an emotional core, but most of it was dragged down by cliches for characters in kids shows.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I really like the giant bee in this show. She reminds me of Mothra. Wonder if it's a homage to Mothra...
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I really like the giant bee in this show. She reminds me of Mothra. Wonder if it's a homage to Mothra...
Almost every monster in the show is some homage to a classic Toho kaiju so I don't doubt it. The most obvious one is Cyber-Godzilla.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

cloverfan98 wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I really like the giant bee in this show. She reminds me of Mothra. Wonder if it's a homage to Mothra...
Almost every monster in the show is some homage to a classic Toho kaiju so I don't doubt it. The most obvious one is Cyber-Godzilla.
Fun fact! When designing a lot of the monsters in the show the crew gave them classic Toho names until giving them an official name. I know the monsters in the opening although never appearing in the show itself were named after toho kaiju. The big flying monster was called the "flying gigan" for example.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

and the big worm was called Worm Manda.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

I always thought El Gusano was cool as a kid.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"