Godzilla: The Animated Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What are your thoughts?

LOVE IT
36%
Like it
42%
Neutral
11%
Dislike it
5%
ARRRGHH SKREEENK GINO
6%

Total votes: 194

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Re: Godzilla: The Animated Series

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I generally like this show, but I do admit the acting's nothing unique and its quite formulaic. Not to mention, it only gets so much praise in part because its more in line with actual Godzilla then the 98 film, which isn't high praise in hindsight.

Still, the creature designs ooze 90's and I like them, not to mention its my first major Godzilla work I watched in full. EDIT: Not to mention has inspired me to write my own episode concepts. Heck, I'll even give some right now.
Roundup: A series of attacks on ships off the coast of eastern Canada leads HEAT to discover a herd of aquatic mutant horses is behind them, whose grazing is damaging ecosystems.
A Day in the Life: An average joe in gets caught up in one of HEAT's adventures when his workplace and hometown is attacked by a giant gecko.
Brine: In Chile, the team encounters both mutant brine shrimp and the mutant flamingos that feed on them.
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:25 am I generally like this show, but I do admit the acting's nothing unique and its quite formulaic. Not to mention, it only gets so much praise in part because its more in line with actual Godzilla then the 98 film, which isn't high praise in hindsight.

Still, the creature designs ooze 90's and I like them, not to mention its my first major Godzilla work I watched in full. EDIT: Not to mention has inspired me to write my own episode concepts. Heck, I'll even give some right now.
Roundup: A series of attacks on ships off the coast of eastern Canada leads HEAT to discover a herd of aquatic mutant horses is behind them, whose grazing is damaging ecosystems.
A Day in the Life: An average joe in gets caught up in one of HEAT's adventures when his workplace and hometown is attacked by a giant gecko.
Brine: In Chile, the team encounters both mutant brine shrimp and the mutant flamingos that feed on them.
I would love to see giant flamingoes and brine shrimp in the style of this show.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I'm about four episodes into this show and I'm bored to tears. Hoping it gets better.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:18 pm I'm about four episodes into this show and I'm bored to tears. Hoping it gets better.
Minus a few very specific stand out episodes the show unfortunately remains mostly the same quality throughout. If you’re bored now I unfortunately don’t think you’ll suddenly change your mind.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:18 pm I'm about four episodes into this show and I'm bored to tears. Hoping it gets better.
If you're bored, skip ahead to Competition. I'd say that and Monster Wars are worth checking out even if you don't wanna stick with the series.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:35 pm
If you're bored, skip ahead to Competition. I'd say that and Monster Wars are worth checking out even if you don't wanna stick with the series.
Or Future Shock, Juggernaut and Trust No One. There's a few episodes that do interesting things with the formula and have some wild/zany ideas.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Thanks for the recommendations - I'll watch all of the episodes, because I bought the DVD and because of my kaiju completionist mentality - it might take me a bit though lol

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

No newsflash the series is underrated. So sad the toyline didn't happen, but it makes me so interested in possibly someone revisting some of the designs.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:43 pm Thanks for the recommendations - I'll watch all of the episodes, because I bought the DVD and because of my kaiju completionist mentality - it might take me a bit though lol
May Phillipe Roache bless you with strength and good French coffee on your journey

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

I liked this show a lot. I found myself engaged in every episode. The original Godzilla coming back as a cyborg, the KKvsG homage, the continuity, (minus like 2 episodes that were meh with it) and the characters changed a little. I think it is worth watching and it looks really good.
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:37 pm
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:43 pm Thanks for the recommendations - I'll watch all of the episodes, because I bought the DVD and because of my kaiju completionist mentality - it might take me a bit though lol
May Phillipe Roache bless you with strength and good French coffee on your journey
Thank ya, thank ya very much.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The series is good overall, but a few episodes are weak. However, it has some creative kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Man...imagine if Super7 is somehow able to make some of the toys from this that never were...
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Fun fact about the show: back in production, to avoid leaks and keep things secret, the crew of G:TS made up the premise was instead about a team of superheroes called Heat Seekers (after HEAT's own boat) who all had control over fire and even had this sheepdog made of fire named Flamer, and Godzilla was codenamed both Thingy and Gorgon.

I'm sure there's concept art of characters in these way somewhere on the internet and I swear I did courtesy of Fil Barlowe. TBH, this idea is pretty cool and I think it could carry its own cartoon.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I just rewatched the first two eps. They were good, though only complaint was Audrey was annoying.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:50 pm I just rewatched the first two eps. They were good, though only complaint was Audrey was annoying.
The problem is that Audrey and Nick should not be together, in both the 98 film and TAS. Yet somehow, the audience is told to pretend that this is something we should root for. Often episodes involving her are just. away to have an extra problem.

However, it leads to one of the best episodes with the one with the egg and the turtle.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:44 pm
Al Diplodocus wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:50 pm I just rewatched the first two eps. They were good, though only complaint was Audrey was annoying.
The problem is that Audrey and Nick should not be together, in both the 98 film and TAS. Yet somehow, the audience is told to pretend that this is something we should root for. Often episodes involving her are just. away to have an extra problem.

However, it leads to one of the best episodes with the one with the egg and the turtle.
Yeah, after what Audrey did to Nick in G98 and her general attitude in GTS makes her really unlikable. Nick has much better chemistry with Elsie in the show anyway.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

There is no denying that this show was a step up from the movie that inspired it. However, the one thing that ultimately held it back was that it was GINO rather than Godzilla himself. That would’ve been one prop for living in a reality in which the Debont film got made.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Well I'm watching the episode Protector, and I'm wondering about Norrzug, a living wing lion metal statue. In a series full of monsters that are either mutants created by radiation, genetic engineering, or just so happen to exist since prehistory, which are based in real life science such as it were, the concept of Norrzug sticks out like a sore thumb as such a thing is not even remotely scientifically possible. At no point do the characters realise "Holy shit, this is clearly magic!" or something to the effect. Even with the swamp monster the mystic angled was only ambiguous and not stated outright.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They had a kaiju, the Silver Hydra, that was living mineral. Sci fi is full of conjecture on life based on some element other than carbon, but we get little explanation or dialogue about that in the episode. Besides, they were more concerned with stopping the sphinx than what made it alive.

The series had a creative menagerie of creatures that varied, which is one of the show's strengths.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.