Favorite Gamera Suit out of the Trilogy?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

Pick one.

G1 version
9%
G2 version
33%
G3 version
58%

Total votes: 76

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Re: Favorite Gamera Suit out of the Trilogy?

Post by Kaiser »

The poll won't let me vote for some reason, but G2 all the way. It strikes the right balance between friendly-looking and badass without going too over the top.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i love the look of Gamera as a pure beast. a monster unhinged, an engine of destruction, purely driven by one purpose.

the look of the third Gamera is badass, and badass > balance.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

three wrote:the look of the third Gamera is badass, and badass > balance.
I feel like the suit in the third movie is trying a bit too hard to be badass though; trying too hard to be cool just sort of ruins the effect. At any case, it's still a great suit, I just prefer the 2nd one because it's intimidating looking while having a friendly quality to it.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I'm not a huge fan of 3's arms either. I mean I guess it doesn't matter much since there was no wrestling in Gamera 3 but I like Gamera having claws that are a little more flexiable and having shape to them.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Kaiser wrote:
three wrote:the look of the third Gamera is badass, and badass > balance.
I feel like the suit in the third movie is trying a bit too hard to be badass though; trying too hard to be cool just sort of ruins the effect. At any case, it's still a great suit, I just prefer the 2nd one because it's intimidating looking while having a friendly quality to it.
i see. my big "grievance" with suit #2 is that it has any sort of friendly quality to it at all. i like the experienced, aged, and more intimidating look of the third Gamera suit.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

As others have said, the Gamera 2 suit had the perfect balance of being both kid-friendly while also badass at the same time, so G2 Gamera gets my vote. Regardless, I like aspects of all 3 suits, and they each fit their respected films well...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

It's interesting how all the comments prefer G2, but the votes easily go to G3.

Anyway, I voted G3 because it simply had the most menacing design of the entire franchise, which fit in very well with the series' best movie's tone and feel.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

the comments are pretty neck and neck, it seems.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

G3, simply because of Nightmare Gamera.

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

G3. You know he's the good guy but he looks evil.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

What made them want to go through three different suits in the first place? It would've been more cost-efficient to use the suit from MOTU in Leigion.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

LegendZilla wrote:What made them want to go through three different suits in the first place? It would've been more cost-efficient to use the suit from MOTU in Leigion.

to show the age and maturity of Gamera as time passed.

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

So hard to choose. I love them all. But probably G3 just because they actually managed to make this big turtle threatening.
'And yet another one?'

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Gamera 2's version was always my favorite.

While G3 Gamera was the best executed, I always felt it didn't quite look right: his head was too small and his shell too big. If he didn't look so fierce he'd look silly. G2 Gamera is the most aesthetically pleasing to me and everything seems correctly proportioned. If you say "Gamera" to me, G2 Gamera is what I picture in my head. :)

three
Keizer

Post by three »

^ ah, but isn't that great? i mean, that the design is so fearsome looking that it redeems the flaws?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

three wrote:^ ah, but isn't that great? i mean, that the design is so fearsome looking that it redeems the flaws?
Not...really. For me at least, I get distracted by how disproportionate and silly the body is. It reminds me of a really over-built wrestler. I like G3's face, but I'd prefer it on the body of G2 Gamera. But, even that said, I still prefer G2 Gamera's face, so in the end G2 just plain beats it.

Oh, and aside from the stuff I mentioned before, G3's arms look weird. I get they were trying to make the flying Gamera better match the suit, but I just don't like it that much.

All that aside, G3 is still better than G1 Gamera.

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

You know for some reason, the Guardian suit is my favorite and it might have to do with the fact that's my favorite film. Gamera for me is a child friendly look that I can take seriously. It may look goofy but it has some charm.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

G3.

Nightmare Gamera, man.

dragongora
Monsterland Worker

Post by dragongora »

G3, just looks more bad arse to me
Dragons don't die, we just bleed

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

I personally like the Gamera 2 suit. It is a good blend of both the friendly Gamera from the first movie and the more destructive Gamera of the third film. The second Gamera suit is neither too cuddly nor demented looking. I can understand the love for the Gamera 3 suit because it is perhaps the most different from your typical Gamera because of the flippers and intimidating face. The second Gamera suit keeps the iconic look of Gamera while making him a bit more modern in style. I would even say that the Gamera 2 suit may be the definitive look of Heisei Gamera.