Your 6 favorite Godzilla flicks

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
three
Keizer

Your 6 favorite Godzilla flicks

Post by three »

Not sure if this has been done or not, but if it has let me know and i'll do what i can to rid us of yet another favorite films thread. anyway let this encompass every era (showa, heisei, millenium). try to grade them on things like rewatch ability, characters, plot, etc. stuff you in particular really liked about 'em. This is intended to be a respectful discussion!!!!! that said, if someone lists their favorite film to be the 1998 Godzilla flick, they don't get called an idiot/instantly lose credibility. i don't expect that to happen, and i'm making a surprising decision to allow it to be counted here without shame, but if it is i expect some darn good reasons ;). this also applies to any poster on this thread: be respectful, if you disagree/wanna know why someone chose a movie, ask. don't just dogpile eachother if you disagree. with that...

my favs...

1. Godzilla vs. Biollante: this movie had everything i like and then some. it had creepy music and themes (anytime it showed cells dividing felt like i was watching some kind of biological warfare horror movie, especially with that eerie track that sounded like shrieking). the characters didn't suck. they weren't typical, the agent working for that middle eastern country, the general tasked with taking on Godzilla, Dr. Shiragami, and the two agents chasing down the middle eastern dude. they all fit the bill as awesome, completely different personalities than you get in other films. Biollante was a great monster, completely out of the box and the movie had two great fights and some nice action for Godzilla himself without detracting overall from it's whole "genetics is the new nuclear" meaning. overall, i found it really easy to watch again and again, and everything about it was awesome.

2. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. oh what can i say. one of my most beloved Godzilla movies of all time. the time travel plot, while confusing to some and just too over the top to others, i really enjoyed. i liked the backstory on Godzilla and knowing where he came from. M11 was too funny to hate, and the characters weren't the best, but not the worst. overall the film is really easy to watch over and over again (as i have done the past few days) but because everything develops so slowly it can be tedious. definately one of my favorites of all time.

3. This one was alittle tougher, but I found Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (1974) to be my second favorite. be it the goofy music, the sadistic aliens, all the monster fights, or just the awesomeness that is MechaGodzilla this movie had everything i look for in a Godzilla flick. the plot was lacking, sure, aliens try to conquer the world...but the action, pace, soundtrack, and how the movie played out really netted it my favor. overall, i think the movie does a really great job of making itself one to be watched countless times; it really never gets boring. the characters are (admittedly) also lacking, but the human action isn't half bad either. it's a solid film.

4. ToMG: this movie IMO really solidified Godzilla's status as a legend. he fought king kong and his fate was unknown. he fought mothra in a great movie, and his indistructability by conventional weapons (or any weapons) became unquestionable. he took on everyone and anyone, even pollution, and until this film was just a really great icon. but this film took him and made his fighting ability indisputable. the previous installment in the franchise gave us a glimpse at how mortal Godzilla was. not only did he bleed, but he nearly was killed. so when his arch foe returns this movie, having just nearly killed him, i expected a great showdown. but then that same killing machine known as MechaGodzilla got an ally, leaving Godzilla in a two on one to save the world (again). not only does he win, he comes back after being beat down and buried. the characters, while cliche, were excellent. i loved the dark tone, and i could watch it for days at a time. one of the best installments of the franchise.

5. Invasion of the Astro Monster: i really like this movie, anytime you get Godzilla and Rodan together it's a good show. i enjoyed the plot in this one, the aliens are much more clever about how they intend to invade earth and destroy humans, the battles are great and the characters are solid. it doesn't have a single drawback really, i tend to just prefer MechaGodzilla over Ghidorah, and so rank it here.

6. Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2 (1993). like i said: anytime Godzilla and Rodan get together, it's a good show. their battle is great, and the overall plot is alright. it leaves something to be desired, and Godzilla lives up to the "whale" half of his original name (for those that don't know *i expect very few to be unaware* Gojira means gorilla and whale, if any member of the forum finds this to be incorrect feel free to correct me), but the action is great, the characters are ok, and i'd say overall the movie is good. what stops it from being great, or anywhere near the first four i mentioned, is the oddness that is Godzilla's roar (i missed the 84, 89, and 91 roar with a growl buried in there), the stiff Rodan prop which could have been much better executed, and, i also was not fond of the characters, but i did like the pace, action, plot to destroy Godzilla, and how they managed to tie Rodan in as the big brother of baby. i thought that was all very cool.
Last edited by three on Tue May 28, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Spuro
Keizer

Re: You're 6 favorite Godzilla flicks

Post by Spuro »

1. Gojira/Godzilla vs Destoroyah/GMK three way tie
2. Destroy All Monsters
3. Mothra vs Godzilla
4. Terror of Mechagodzilla
5. Godzilla vs Biollante
6. Godzilla vs Monster Zero
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

You're 6 favorite Godzilla flicks
I am six favorite Godzilla flicks? :shock:

1. Godzilla (1954)
2. Godzilla 2000 (2000-US)
3. Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
4. Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster (1964)
5. Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
6. Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster (1966)
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

wataru wrote:Wrong section, this needs to be in General Toho...

1.) Godzilla vs Biollante
2.) Return of Godzilla
3.) Godzilla 2000
4.) Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974)
5.) Terror of Mechagodzilla
6.) Ghidorah the Three-headed Monster

is there anyway i can move it?

tymon wrote:
three wrote: you're six favorite Godzilla flicks
I am six favorite Godzilla flicks? :shock:

thank you tymon, it has been edited (did this way too early in the morning...)
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Dust_pan
Futurian

Re: Your 6 favorite Godzilla flicks

Post by Dust_pan »

1. Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster
2. Godzilla vs The Sea Monster
3. Mothra vs Godzilla
4. Godzilla 2000
5. Terror of Mechagodzilla
6. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974)
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

a lot of love for Ghiorah TTHM so far haha.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

1. Destroy All Monsters
2. Terror Of Mecha Godzilla
3. GTTHM
4. Mothra vs Godzilla
5. Gojira/ Godzilla: King of the Monsters
6. Godzilla vs King Ghidora
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

If we have a mod that actually LOGS ON and sees this, the thread should really be moved.

1. Godzilla 2000 (Favorite Godzilla suit, Regenerator G1 story was really interesting with learning that Godzilla is virtually immortal, likeable characters, good atmosphere near the climax, GREAT score/good score placement, Orga had a good design, final battle is exciting, ending is well done, also the first Godzilla/kaiju film in general I ever seen so some extra attachment to it because of that)

2. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (Good story, characters, favorite Godzilla suit, really enjoyed the backstory with the soldiers and war, the time travel future story is a bit off but I got past it quickly, the Godzilla & King Ghidorah fight is well paced, the Godzilla & Mecha-King Ghidorah fight is very entertaining, overall good special effects, particularly liked the big city Tokyo set)

3. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (Good story, likeable characters, good Godzilla suit, the scene where Godzilla is right up to the building that Baby Godzilla is in is memorable to me, all battles are good, Rodan while stiff looks pretty good)

4. Godzilla vs. Biollante (I was actually intrigued by some of the characters and the story as well, gotta love Miki, Godzilla suit looked pretty good, Biollante is the most uniquely designed and executed kaiju in any of the eras, Biollante looked great on film, solid effects in general, enjoyed Godzilla's escape from the volcano, the final battle is incredible...just a bit shorter than expected, enjoyed the concept & execution of the Anti-Nuclear Bacteria, ending was satisfying, "Godzilla and Biollante aren't monsters. It's the unscrupulous scientists who create them that are monsters.")

5. Godzilla Final Wars (Action-packed, likeable characters, both the monster and human scenes I enjoyed, unfitting score but at the same time it made the scenes feel more epic, the lighting in the final battles after Monster X's meteor hits makes it feel very post apocalyptic, battles are too short excluding Keizer battle, Godzilla suit isn't the best or the worst)

6. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (One of the better later Godzilla suits, the character of Akane and the actress's performance really made the movie for me, decent development, I really love the stock footage scene with Gaira & Mothra, the battles are okay but could have been better, the absolute zero cannon was a pretty good concept and executed fairly well for the most part, some very good destruction and military battle scenes with Godzilla, good score but not very memorable, Akane's character is the only thing that makes this film better then Megaguirus to me)
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

three
Keizer

Post by three »

for anyone who posts here in the future: i have become aware that i placed the thread in the wrong area. i apologize. hopefully it will be moved to keep things organized and less confused. again; i didn't realize at the time that there was a forum for general toho and placed it here (this was among other mistakes i made, which i edited from my first post to start the thread). just go with it till it's moved, and again i'm sorry about it.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

1. Godzilla (1954). This is THE perfect monster movie. It's also one of those movies that is still very fun to watch today despite its age. 10/10, A+, 5 Stars, whatever. I'm not just saying that because I'm a Godzilla fan and it needs to be teh Bestz cuZ iTs teh originalz. No, it's legitimately my favorite because of its tone, characters, monster, music, pacing, dialogue, action, suspense, and cultural significance. This is truly high-class cinema. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

2. Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989). A perfect way to reintroduce modern audiences to Godzilla. Someone else here mentioned the interesting spectrum of characters, and I just love that. It shows the many implications and reactions that people would have if an actual Godzilla attack happened. Biollante was an interesting opponent and although the fights were short, they were some of the most well-made in the series. But what really makes this film for me is the Godzilla vs. military portions. It was entertaining as hell seeing the military's new strategies against Godzilla and how they fail and succeed. This is just a product of very good storytelling.

3. Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964). I might have just selected this movie up here for the soundtrack alone. Truly one of Akira Ifukube's best orchestrations. But the film still manages to accomplish so much more in storytelling and special effects. Godzilla kicks so much ass in this movie. It's awesome at first, then the movie makes you feel the impact of his destruction so much, that you want Mothra to win really badly so that Godzilla can end all that destruction. The fight is packed with emotion and intensity. Bravo, Honda and Tsuburaya.

4. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002). Godzilla's rampage in the rain is one of the best moments in the entire series. Now THIS is how you start a movie! From then on, it's a story about a woman and her struggle for self-actualization. Some people groaned at this and said it made the movie boring, but I loved the hell out of it. This is a movie about CHARACTER rather than all-out monster action. Admittedly, it's a movie I would watch even without the monster parts. The relationship between Akane and Tokumitsu was very fun to watch. Sometimes it was awkward, and I thought that was a nice way to make the audience smile while adding a bit of realism. By the end of the movie, Akane rises above her loner status from the beginning of the movie and fights for the people she cares for. I found this moment to be surprisingly touching for a Godzilla movie, and it gave the final fight that emotional punch to it, just like in Mothra vs. Godzilla. Oh yeah, I almost forgot this was a monster movie. I loved Godzilla's design, as it was the perfect mixture of his classic look and his Millennium redesign. Kiryu was my favorite mech of the entire series and made for some interesting subplots, like the "going berserk" thing. I also liked the anime-feel that this movie had. It made for an interesting change of pace from the stuff we usually get. I know a lot of people don't really care for this movie, but I will defend it until my last post on this site. Hell, after typing this, I'm tempted to move it up the list, but it's too much work! :P

5. Destroy All Monsters (1968). While some of the human parts were lacking, they weren't cringe-worthy like some of the later entries in the series. Not much to say about this one; I just enjoy it a lot because of the monster action and music. This is the Avengers of Toho movies, rounding up many memorable characters from other movies into a grand slam ensemble.

6. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991). A huge step down from Godzilla vs. Biollante, but I still thought it was very good. Despite some flaws that have been mentioned all over this forum constantly, the plot was original and it was fun to see how it unfolds. Many of the characters were likeable. The music was fantastic; I was glad to hear Ifukube again, even though most of the tracks were from previous movies. The monster action was some of the best in the series, especially when Godzilla blasted off King Ghidorah's middle head, and when Mecha-King Ghidorah was brought back from the future. That was one of the most surprising moments in the entire series and it was incredibly satisfying. This one is just packed full of interesting storytelling techniques and "Godzilla is such a badass" moments. I just wish the Region 1 DVD wasn't dubbed or cropped. -_-

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

No particular order

#1. Godzilla 1985
#2. Godzilla vs Biollante
#3. Godzilla vs Mothra (Original)
#4. Ghidorah: The three headed monster
#5. Godzilla vs Mecha-Godzilla/Terror of Mecha-Godzilla (Tied)
#6. Godzilla 1954

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

20th Century Boy wrote:It's also one of those movies that is still very fun to watch today despite its age.
Wow. That's... :(

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

CTHimes wrote:
20th Century Boy wrote:It's also one of those movies that is still very fun to watch today despite its age.
Wow. That's... :(

If by "those movies," he means, "all the ones that were fun to watch to begin with, regardless of era," then... well, then it's just kind of a roundabout way of saying, "good," but that's alright.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Let me rephrase that: It passes the test of time. Many other monster movies haven't aged well today. I'm not just talking about special effects, some of these movies feel outdated today because of their cliched structure that had been parodied too many times.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

20th Century Boy wrote:Let me rephrase that: It passes the test of time. Many other monster movies haven't aged well today. I'm not just talking about special effects, some of these movies feel outdated today because of their cliched structure that had been parodied too many times.

i agree with this. take the wolfman for example (bear with me while i take us off topic for one post) it's very difficult to watch now for me, but at it's time was one of the better horror films. by comparison to some like nosferatu (spelling, will edit) it hasn't aged well. i get what he means. now back on track please.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

three wrote:
20th Century Boy wrote:Let me rephrase that: It passes the test of time. Many other monster movies haven't aged well today. I'm not just talking about special effects, some of these movies feel outdated today because of their cliched structure that had been parodied too many times.

i agree with this. take the wolfman for example (bear with me while i take us off topic for one post) it's very difficult to watch now for me, but at it's time was one of the better horror films. by comparison to some like nosferatu (spelling, will edit) it hasn't aged well. i get what he means. now back on track please.
I would argue that Nosferatu was always the better film, though. Age didn't make The Wolfman any better or worse than it was to begin with.

And, frankly, I have no difficulty enjoying The Wolfman. It's a well-conceived, well-acted, well-directed flick.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

eabaker wrote:
three wrote:

I would argue that Nosferatu was always the better film, though. Age didn't make The Wolfman any better or worse than it was to begin with.

And, frankly, I have no difficulty enjoying The Wolfman. It's a well-conceived, well-acted, well-directed flick.

going by what he originally said (with effects improving and the cliches coming from those early genre defining films, the originals have lost their luster. that's not everyone's opinion, just some people's. i happen to be one. we could start a new thread about it if you'd like, though i'd appreciate it if we didn't do it here :)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

three wrote:
eabaker wrote:
three wrote:

going by what he originally said (with effects improving and the cliches coming from those early genre defining films, the originals have lost their luster. that's not everyone's opinion, just some people's. i happen to be one. we could start a new thread about it if you'd like, though i'd appreciate it if we didn't do it here :)
I see no reason to go any further with the topic. I know you and I see the matter differently, and I also know that we understand one another's terms.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

#1. Godzilla: Final Wars -to me it's an extremely fun flick with the most replay value.

#2. GODZILLA 2000 -My favorite version of Godzilla, I also like the human characters, atmosphere, and final battle is fantastic.

#3. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah -grew up with this one, big fan of Destoroyah, I think the climax is one of the best, and even the human characters weren't that bad I thought.

#4. Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster -nostalgia at its finest, I've seen this one so many times growing up. A true classic with great human characters and fantastic monster scenes.

#5. Terror of Mechagodzilla -The climax is pretty darn amazing

#6. -MONSTER ZERO -really solid sci fi story with some of the best human characters of the series (Nick Adams might just be my favorite actor from the era)
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

1.) Gojira (1954)
2.) Godzilla vs Gigan (1972)
3.) Godzilla vs Biollante (1989)
4.) Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974)
5.) Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 (1993)
6.) Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!