Lost Projects:Godzilla Vs. The Mysterians

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
The One and Only
Futurian

Lost Projects:Godzilla Vs. The Mysterians

Post by The One and Only »

A sequel to the classic Toho alien invasion flick, THE MYSTERIANS(1957) conceived by music video director Mick Anger right after a viewing of GODZILLA Vs. BIOLLANTE while on tour with Whitney Houston in Japan. While eating dinner with an advertising exec, Anger talked about his love of all things Godzilla, and the executive, knowing some people at Toho got him a tour of the production facilities. While there Mr. Anger met ,and hit it off with SFX director on the G-Films of the Heisei Era, Kochi Kawataka. Mick Anger actually got a chance to pitch an idea inspired by his visit to the studios for a Godzilla film. Unfortunately, after eighteen months of development, and despite having Kawataka in his corner, Godzilla film producer, Tomoyuki Tanaka, wasn't all that wild about having a "gaijin"/foreigner involved in the making of a G-Film. So sadly, the project fell through. The full story of Mick Anger's development, and banishment to development hell of Godzilla Vs. The Mysterians can be read here.>(http://www.totaldanger.com/td_pages/god ... story.html)

The story of GODZILLA Vs. THE MYSTERIANS involved a rogue faction of the aliens from the original 1957 flick, setting up shop under the Nevada Desert. Over the years the Mysterians conducted experiments on the local flora and fauna in their labs to try ,and combat the conundrum of their race's sterility. The results were a menagerie of genetic, and cybernetic abominations that brought them no closer to their goals of correcting their sterility. The mightiest of which, Hira-Jin, part-man, part-Gila Monster, part human. All daikaiju.
The Mysterians hit upon the idea that Godzilla's unique biology might be the key to the answers they seek. So a ship is dispatched to Monster Island to capture the King of the Monsters. The mission is successful, Godzilla is captured ,and brought back to the base. Unfortunately, drawn into the affair are Anguirus and Rodan who track Godzilla to the Mysterians' base in the Nevada desert, which takes them through Las Vegas. The Mysterians unleash Hira-Jin against the kaiju, and large tracks of Vegas end up devastated in the resulting battle.
The full treatment , and story behind this unique, American take can be read here.>http://www.totaldanger.com/td_pages/god ... cover.html
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Lost Projects:Godzilla Vs. The Mysterians

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm not crazy about that semi human gila monster cyborg picture, but the idea sounds interesting.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Grimlock#1
Monsterland Worker

Post by Grimlock#1 »

All I have to say is WTF.
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.
"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

This is a good example of why hardcore American Godzilla fans shouldn't be allowed to make a Godzilla film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The fact that it has the Dream Team in it is enough for me to say it should have been made. Change a couple parts of the script of course but it could have been good.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzilla1703
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla1703 »

That monster looks like something out of Heisei Yongarry. Ive always loved the idea for Godzilla fighting the Mysteeians, I just cantvacept that monstr, its an abomination. Also the Angy and Rody part is weird but the dream team in action would make me shit with glee.
Shadow Arena History: Wins: 37(I'm heading for 50 :D) Losses: 26
Chris55 wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^

Wont see that shit in Godzilla.
We did. A whole movie was based around it. It was called "GINO".

:)

The One and Only
Futurian

My real bugaboo with this script is, I'd think if your doing a match up between Godzilla and the Mysterians. One of the highlights of Toho's alien invasion flick was the giant robot Mogera. I always thought that if you were bringing the Mysterians back, the robot's inclusion would be a given, seeing the bugger is also one of the most memorable features in the original 1957 flick. Before, I saw this script, I pictured in my version the Big-G facing off with a couple of Mogeras dispatched against him by the aliens. Not that I don't like Hira-Jin, he's cool. But it would've been interesting to at least see classic Mogera make a return appearance. Also, with the Heisei G series' SFX director's own love of the Mysterians' weapon, which lead to his adding an updated version to GODZILLA Vs. SPACE GODZILLA. One would think he'd be itching to add the bot to the mix. I always thought multiple Mogeras in action would be cool, especially thanks to the photo shop done on Media Blasters' DVD cover.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

All Toho Godzilla scrapped films should've existed.
Yooo 8-)

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

JGAR4Entertainment wrote:All Toho Godzilla scrapped films should've existed.
Even Godzilla vs Batman?
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

shinmattiathekaiju wrote:
Even Godzilla vs Batman?
Yeah, maybe it could've been more than meets the eye. ;)
Yooo 8-)

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Aside from Godzilla vs. Redmoon and maybe Asuka Fortress and Godzilla vs. Godzilla, I'm happy with the overall output of the films.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Megalon-5 wrote:
Aside from Godzilla vs. Redmoon and maybe Asuka Fortress and Godzilla vs. Godzilla, I'm happy with the overall output of the films.
Maybe GODZILLA VS. FRANKENSTEIN too, in a world where FCTW never existed.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

I suppose that'd be kinda neat, but I think I'm glad Frankenstein vs. Godzilla was scrapped for FCTW.

The only other non-Godzilla scrapped projects I would've wanted to see would be PON 2 and Nessie.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

They should've made:

-Godzilla VS Frankenstein (liked the idea, could've spread Godzilla's popularity into German and its surroundings)

-The Return of King Ghidorah (3-on-3 way battle would've been spectacular, preferred it over Godzilla VS Gigan)

-Giant Monsters Converge on Okinawa! Showdown in Zanpamisaki (would've taken it over Godzilla VS Megalon)

-Godzilla VS Gargantua (could've fit perfectly for a Godzilla VS Frankenstein sequel)

-Godzilla VS the Asuka Fortress (could've been interesting to see, sounded like Godzilla VS Terminator/Robocop)

-Godzilla 2 (the concept could work for a seuel to the one above instead of Godzilla 1985, cool to see)

and the one I wanted to mostly see, even though it still became one of my favorite films:

-The Original GMK with Varan and Anguirus instead of recycled Mothra and King Ghidorah
Yooo 8-)

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Legion1979 wrote:Nah, I'm happy with the 28 movies we actually got.
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't say I'm happy with all of them... ;)

Anyway, most of the unmade G films don't sound particularly good to me either - although I admit A Space Godzilla and Barbaroi looked/sounded intriguing.

The One and Only
Futurian

A fan's idea of what a fully biological Moguera would look like.
Looks like he'd fit in the world of Heisei Kaiju quite well. Tell the truth, while I like the idea, concept of Hira-Jin. I still stand by my statement that Godzilla, Anguris,and Rodan should've had it out with a few classic Mogueras. Then Hira-Jin as the big bad, third act Alien Queen reveal. Or else the Mysterians move away from robots, to engineering a biological, grown construct like the above version.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

The One and Only wrote: Unfortunately, after eighteen months of development, and despite having Kawataka in his corner, Godzilla film producer, Tomoyuki Tanaka, wasn't all that wild about having a "gaijin"/foreigner involved in the making of a G-Film.
Depending on the accuracy of this, I find such a factor quite disheartening. It should be about the talent and whether or not the movie was a good idea, not the origin of whoever is involved in the film. But that's my view as compared to Japan, where they are a more singular society to an extent.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Sounds like fan fiction at its worst though it does have some interesting ideas. Who knows maybe it would have been considered one of the best Godzilla films if it was made. The world will never know

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

A few of the ideas seem like they were recycled in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and that one "film" where Godzilla was to fight in Las Vegas with a bird. The Futurians are essentially stand ins for the Mysterians , and the UFOs , cyborg and time travel parts are basically lifted from that. Overall, the scenes are more suited for a Showa period and would have likely been extensively rewritten and abridged to explain the origins of not only Rodan and Anguirus , but of the newer monster. Ghidorah's creation could be derived from this ,as the Dorats are genetically created pets from a lab.

Likely, this treatment would be altered to that 40% of the original story would be left. All of the goofier and unrealistic sequences such as the rock throwing and Rodan flying with Anguirus would be excised or rewritten to be separate transportation sequences with sea and air battles. In addition, the sequence where the face goes onto the commander would be difficult for the effects crew to pull off if not outright improbable, so that would be altered or cut. Also, the Gila creature would be made closer to Moguera in looks [or made a different monster] and the sequences of splicing would be excised due to the budget and time limitations of the movies. It would be strictly beam wars in terms of the fighting ,while the American subplot would either be moved to Japan or limited to a point.

From reading the story, I can see why the treatment was rejected as it needed a rewrite to make the elements more in line with the tone of the Heisei period and to make it more coherent.

The One and Only
Futurian