Hesiei Godzilla film favorites from greatest to least!

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
GodzillaDude
Futurian

Re: Hesiei Godzilla film favorites from greatest to least!

Post by GodzillaDude »

three wrote:i've been here more than a month already (two actually). that's not a "normal" reaction. nice follow up to exactly what the guy above you said though. but before this gets dragged on any further, i'd like to try to put us back on topic as i've thrown everything off. so, do either of you have a gripe with Desotroyah as the favorite or 1985 as the best (by a slim margin)?
What I mean is telling a member to shut up isn't going to help you around here.

Anyways, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is my personal favorite of the series.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

three
Keizer

Post by three »

GodzillaDude wrote:
three wrote:i've been here more than a month already (two actually). that's not a "normal" reaction. nice follow up to exactly what the guy above you said though. but before this gets dragged on any further, i'd like to try to put us back on topic as i've thrown everything off. so, do either of you have a gripe with Desotroyah as the favorite or 1985 as the best (by a slim margin)?
What I mean is telling a member to shut up isn't going to help you around here.

Anyways, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is my personal favorite of the series.

point made.

might i inquire as to why?
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

three wrote:point made.

I personally enjoyed the back story relating to the war and the Godzillasaurus. I really liked the King Ghidorah design/suit and the battles were all pretty solid. The film also contains my 2nd favorite Godzilla suit. The android thing was really cheesy, but I got past it awhile ago.
SA

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

three
Keizer

Post by three »

GodzillaDude wrote:
three wrote:point made.

I personally enjoyed the back story relating to the war and the Godzillasaurus. I really liked the King Ghidorah design/suit and the battles were all pretty solid. The film also contains my 2nd favorite Godzilla suit. The android thing was really cheesy, but I got past it awhile ago.

haha the android (M11? i think) really never bugged me. he was just a kinda funny addition. i did like the battles and the backstory was neat, though it takes kinda long for it to really get rolling. the first half of it feels like a scyfy channel original. i wait because i know godzillasaurus will eventually show up and the movie will (really) get started. that's why i put Desotroyah at the top of my list, the action starts fairly quickly and something involving the monsters is always happening. i also like how well paced Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2 is, there's a battle every so often and a story you don't have to really try to understand to understand.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

three wrote:haha the android (M11? i think) really never bugged me. he was just a kinda funny addition. i did like the battles and the backstory was neat, though it takes kinda long for it to really get rolling. the first half of it feels like a scyfy channel original. i wait because i know godzillasaurus will eventually show up and the movie will (really) get started. that's why i put Desotroyah at the top of my list, the action starts fairly quickly and something involving the monsters is always happening. i also like how well paced Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2 is, there's a battle every so often and a story you don't have to really try to understand to understand.
I sort of felt like Destroyah dragged on for to long in some parts of it. I think the main battles could have been executed better then they were. I do enjoy the atmosphere in Destroyah however and the suits were all pretty good and of course the ending is very memorable.
SA

three
Keizer

Post by three »

GodzillaDude wrote:
three wrote:haha the android (M11? i think) really never bugged me. he was just a kinda funny addition. i did like the battles and the backstory was neat, though it takes kinda long for it to really get rolling. the first half of it feels like a scyfy channel original. i wait because i know godzillasaurus will eventually show up and the movie will (really) get started. that's why i put Desotroyah at the top of my list, the action starts fairly quickly and something involving the monsters is always happening. i also like how well paced Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2 is, there's a battle every so often and a story you don't have to really try to understand to understand.
I sort of felt like Destroyah dragged on for to long in some parts of it. I think the main battles could have been executed better then they were. I do enjoy the atmosphere in Destroyah however and the suits were all pretty good and of course the ending is very memorable.

i can agree on all counts about that. i feel the way you do about Destroyah about The Battle For Earth. except it's slightly the opposite, like the whole atomsphere of TBFE could've been done better, but the battles were (for what they were, giant bugs fighting Godzilla) pretty neat. i am odd in that i do enjoy the beam wars.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah

Godzilla vs. Biollante

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II

Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla

the Return of Godzilla (Godzilla 1985)

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

and... *grits teeth* Godzilla and Mothra: the Battle for Earth
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:Godzilla vs. Destoroyah

Godzilla vs. Biollante

Hmm interesting, what makes Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla go over Return of Godzilla and King Ghidorah for you?
SA

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

GodzillaDude wrote:
GodzillaFreak99 wrote:Godzilla vs. Destoroyah

Godzilla vs. Biollante

Hmm interesting, what makes Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla go over Return of Godzilla and King Ghidorah for you?
I haven't seen Return of Godzilla in years, and even then I only watched it once. I need to track it down and watch it again. and King Ghidorah? I don't like that time-travel bullshit. It makes my head hurt.

and actually if I put *looks at little Godzilla* that... thing. out of my head I can easely enjoy Spacegodzilla, sure it has it's faults, but I enjoy all Godzilla films to an extont and Spacegodzilla is no exeption.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:I haven't seen Return of Godzilla in years, and even then I only watched it once. I need to track it down and watch it again. and King Ghidorah? I don't like that time-travel bullshit. It makes my head hurt.

and actually if I put *looks at little Godzilla* that... thing. out of my head I can easely enjoy Spacegodzilla, sure it has it's faults, but I enjoy all Godzilla films to an extont and Spacegodzilla is no exeption.
Amen brother!
SA

three
Keizer

Post by three »

BrashAlaskan95 wrote:My personal order with the Heisei films
Godzilla vs Destorayah
Godzilla vs Biollante
Godzilla 1985
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II
Godzilla vs Space Godzilla and Godzilla and Mothra Battle for Earth are tied for dead last.

How can MG2 be so low on this list mate?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

wataru wrote:
three wrote:
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:My personal order with the Heisei films
Godzilla vs Destorayah
Godzilla vs Biollante
Godzilla 1985
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II
Godzilla vs Space Godzilla and Godzilla and Mothra Battle for Earth are tied for dead last.

How can MG2 be so low on this list mate?
Because it's dull.
Right? A few flashy effects scenes do not a good Godzilla movie make.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

well i enjoyed the fight scenes and thought it was alright, what exactly do you look for in a Godzilla flick?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

three wrote:well i enjoyed the fight scenes and thought it was alright, what exactly do you look for in a Godzilla flick?
The same things I look for in any movie: tonal and thematic choices that draw me in - and are well represented by narrative structure and choices in dialogue, performance, photography, editing, music, and production design - are at the top of the list. Following that are technical elements less directly associated with the core of the movie, such as the quality for special effects sequences, or any creative choices that are not directly tied into the core functions are the narrative.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
three wrote:well i enjoyed the fight scenes and thought it was alright, what exactly do you look for in a Godzilla flick?
The same things I look for in any movie: tonal and thematic choices that draw me in - and are well represented by narrative structure and choices in dialogue, performance, photography, editing, music, and production design - are at the top of the list. Following that are technical elements less directly associated with the core of the movie, such as the quality for special effects sequences, or any creative choices that are not directly tied into the core functions are the narrative.
Shhhh, you know the best Heisei movies are the ones with the strongest monsters.
Someday, I'm gonna make Mechagodzilla II vs. SpaceGodzilla and Destroyah! Oh, man, there's gonna be so many beams and explosions and big heavy things slamming into each other and stuff!

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

1. Godzilla vs. Biollante

2. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah

3. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

4. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II

5. The Return of Godzilla

6. Godzilla vs. Mothra

7. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Legion1979 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Shhhh, you know the best Heisei movies are the ones with the strongest monsters.

because that's where i was going with it. the strongest monsters

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Ranking the 90's films is like trying to rank the last five dumps I took. GvsKG has that awful time-traveling plot that I simply can't sit through nowadays, GvsM & GvsSG obviously suck, and GvsD is one of the most overrated films in the franchise and is super-dull IMO. Which leaves GvsMG - not a good movie, but it's not as bad as the others.

The eighties films on the other hand are pretty damn good.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

tymon wrote:Ranking the 90's films is like trying to rank the last five dumps I took. GvsKG has that awful time-traveling plot that I simply can't sit through nowadays, GvsM & GvsSG obviously suck, and GvsD is one of the most overrated films in the franchise and is super-dull IMO. Which leaves GvsMG - not a good movie, but it's not as bad as the others.

i take it you prefer showa era then, of the three...

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

tymon wrote:Ranking the 90's films is like trying to rank the last five dumps I took. GvsKG has that awful time-traveling plot that I simply can't sit through nowadays, GvsM & GvsSG obviously suck, and GvsD is one of the most overrated films in the franchise and is super-dull IMO. Which leaves GvsMG - not a good movie, but it's not as bad as the others.

You know I've been on this forum for a good while now, but before that when I first started posting on here I was under the impression that the Heisei series was the most praised and well liked among fans. Eventually though time went on and now it's been obvious for awhile that the era obviously gets a lot of hate. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is one of my favorite Godzilla films of all time for many reasons (that you can read by following one of the links below) and I even admit the time-traveling plot was off and executed rather poorly, but I actually ended up getting past it pretty quickly.
SA