Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

Post by Terasawa »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:26 amtraveled back to the past twice (Why twice??? They didn't have to pick up the protagonists from modern day Japan!)
Yes, they did have to stop in 1992. There's a very lengthy explanation here, based on what the film tells us about time travel.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:26 am Uh... if it's true that Emi thought they stole an expensive time machine, traveled back to the past twice (Why twice??? They didn't have to pick up the protagonists from modern day Japan!), and created a new giant monster under their control just to make empty threats... I'm sorry but that's either bad writing or proof of Emi's stupidity.

God, this movie.
I think I kinda misworded what I meant, my bad.

Less "empty threats" as in "we're barely gonna do anything but show off Ghidorah" but "we're gonna cause a little bit of destruction, maybe a village or two to prove our point, but that's it, we're not gonna do any damage they can't fix". In contrast to Glen and Wilson's actual plan of "literally terrorize the country and obliterate cities until the entire nation completely collapses into anarchy so we can build it better."

Added in 5 minutes 15 seconds:
Basically, I'm saying Emi was down with the plan but Glen and Wilson downplayed both how much damage they were actually gonna do/their true intentions (because the film also majorly hints the whole "preventing Japan from becoming a super corp-country" thing was just a front for time traveling domination)
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Alternate timeline idea: Do you think enough of the Mother ship (and the supercomputer) survived that they could find bits and pieces of the computer, analyze the technology, put something else together, and have it evolve into the Asuka Fortress?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Or is was another machine based off of MKG.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Watched this for the first time in years on Saturday and I really enjoyed it. It's been my favorite of the Heisei films so far (still wish I liked 1984 and GvB more, but oh well). After Biollante I was scared about the English actors, but the fact that they mostly speak Japanese made it all work out. This film is just fun. It's rather hilarious that we go from the relatively realistic '80s films to a film where the first shots Establish that we are in the future and that there are UFO's.

I will say, there are a few lines (at least in the sub) that make it feel like a sequel to the Showa timeline. Specifically when they talk about how "this new Godzilla won't be friendly to Japan". It's not like Godzilla was friendly in the '80s, so I found that line (and the possibility of being in the Showa timeline (if you can ignore some details)) to be quite interesting.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know how much this movie drives many of you crazy till this very day with its time-travel plot, but one interesting idea it had is tying both Godzilla's and Ghidorah's origins together. It's only fitting since they are arch rivals after all. Would you mind if a future continuity did so again?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:53 pm I know how much this movie drives many of you crazy till this very day with its time-travel plot, but one interesting idea it had is tying both Godzilla's and Ghidorah's origins together. It's only fitting since they are arch rivals after all. Would you mind if a future continuity did so again?
Ghidorah is something other-worldly, and that’s that. I hate Heisei Ghidorah, I hate GMK Ghidorah, and I hate MV Ghidorah (because it just feels too earthy).
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:53 pm I know how much this movie drives many of you crazy till this very day with its time-travel plot, but one interesting idea it had is tying both Godzilla's and Ghidorah's origins together. It's only fitting since they are arch rivals after all. Would you mind if a future continuity did so again?
I wouldn't mind at all, so long as it's built organically into the project.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:01 am
I wouldn't mind at all, so long as it's built organically into the project.
This, and so long as they don't reuse the Dorats.

Ideally, though, that continuity will be a decade or two in the future. Ghidorah needs a break.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Two questions.

1) Why did Mr. Shindo give up the photos of the dinosaur so easily?
2) Anyone know what the image on the back of the book whats-his-name wrote in the future is?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:05 pm 2) Anyone know what the image on the back of the book whats-his-name wrote in the future is?
Here's a picture of the prop if anyone wants to ID the real-world source image.

Resized Image
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:15 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:05 pm 2) Anyone know what the image on the back of the book whats-his-name wrote in the future is?
Here's a picture of the prop if anyone wants to ID the real-world source image.

Resized Image
You're always coming through with this type of stuff, thank you.

Edit: What I would give to own that prop!
Last edited by shadowgigan on Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

You know, upon rewatching this one thing I gotta ask. Why did the Futurians invite people to go on the mission? Emmy and M11 did all the work for their plan, and already knew where Godzilla was off Terasawa's novel. Seems a bit needless they'd need an audience for this.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

godjacob wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:01 pm You know, upon rewatching this one thing I gotta ask. Why did the Futurians invite people to go on the mission? Emmy and M11 did all the work for their plan, and already knew where Godzilla was off Terasawa's novel. Seems a bit needless they'd need an audience for this.
Lol I was just watching it and thought the same thing. I swear I used to have an answer for this but can't remember.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Maybe to convince people that their plan is to help Japan. They invite the observers as a way of assuring Japan that their mission is benevolent. It's like how the Xiliens pretend to need help and offer a deal with Earth. Both groups could easily have achieved their goals just by making Ghidorah or stealing two Earth kaiju, but they chose subterfuge as their route.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I think the 1st act is strong and make sense, they comeback to the 90s, check with the author and chief source on the book accuracy, arriving after it has been compiled but not published. They can't take Shindo, since he is on the island. They also bring Miki as final verification that this Godzilla before the atomic testing changes him.

It as soon as they return to the present that the script goes wacky. The audience is left wondering how the past was changed, was there no 1954 or 1984 rampages? And on top of that the Futurians just go full villain mode, we control KG and you are doomed. Where they could have played along that they are there to help deal with KG and only the 3 time travels would have been knowing something isn't right. It's like the plot lines were all majorly changed by the time travel not time.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I love how, when Wilson mentions King Ghidorah has appeared, they cut to Emi looking shocked to her very core.

....what the hell did she think they were doing on this mission?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:24 am I love how, when Wilson mentions King Ghidorah has appeared, they cut to Emi looking shocked to her very core.

Yeah we see her release the Dorats, that always bothered me with her turning, if she was tricked it was something the cut

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It wasn't cut, it just wasn't explained very well, and much less so in the dubbed version.
Terasawa wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:10 pm
UltramanGoji wrote:I've always read it as (or maybe I'm remembering a bit of dialogue or something, it's been a while) Emi knew what King Ghidorah would do but was shocked when Wilson and Grenchiko were going to continue to let it destroy Japan even after they had already made their point.
You're correct. I'm not sure how Sony translated it in 2014 but Emmy says

キングギドラを我々が操作するなんて聞いてなかったわ

which is basically "I wasn't told that we could (would?) control King Ghidorah!" Wilson says they (the Futurians) will guide Japan's reconstruction after King Ghidorah destroys it; Emmy apparently didn't know this either because it pisses her off.

私たちのやろうとしたのはあくまで警告よ20世紀の日本にこれじゃ脅迫じゃないのまるで
やり過ぎだわ
(Basically, "We were going to warn 20th century Japan; this is more than just a warning. It's going way too far!"
She came along to threaten Japan, not annihilate it. She turns on Wilson/Glenchiko when the full extent of their plan becomes apparent to them. Doesn't explain why she released three Dorats onto an island that was destined to be nuked, though. I always thought that should have been M-11's task. Releasing the Dorats and then receiving a shocked closeup at the reveal of Ghidorah just makes her look more foolish than they's supposed to be.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

szmigiel wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:02 am
Legion1979 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:24 am I love how, when Wilson mentions King Ghidorah has appeared, they cut to Emi looking shocked to her very core.

Yeah we see her release the Dorats, that always bothered me with her turning, if she was tricked it was something the cut
Obviously she hated the Dorats and was trying to kill them, but by leaving them on the island to be nuked she played right into Wilson's hands.

/s

Makes about as much sense as anything else in this movie. :P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.