Talkback Thread #19: Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread #19: Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)

Post by Voyager »

This is my definitive ‘meh’ Godzilla movie.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

This movie suffers from sever identity crisis. Even before I knew the behind the scenes stuff, I member thinking just what was this movie?

Was it a Mothra remake? Was it a Godzilla vs. Mothra movie? Godzilla vs. Battra? Battra vs. Mothra? It seemed to shapeshift into all of them constantly it gave me a headache.

The Killer Meteor
Yojimbo

Post by The Killer Meteor »

If Godzilla vs Hedorah follows Silent Spring, this follows Ferngully.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The Killer Meteor wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:02 am If Godzilla vs Hedorah follows Silent Spring, this follows Ferngully.
I think Ferngully is better compared to Rebirth of Mothra.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

The score was definitely fantastic. I found this movie overall enjoyable. Didn't like it as much as vs. King Ghidorah or vs. Mechagodzilla II, but it was fun. I really like Mothra's portrayal in it. I know the plush design for her Imago form is unpopular, but the metamorphosis scene was really well done. Though I found it funny that, when she drops Godzilla, it almost seems like she is murdering Battra as well. This may be my least favorite '90s Godzilla suit. His face just looks off compared to what came before and what comes after. The March sounded really good though.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Well, when Mothra drops Battra, the black Mothra is already dead. Battra's eyes had lost their luster.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Yeah, this is another Heisei movie you can basically throw in the "what could have been" bin. I don't think they did enough with Mothra/Battra's lore. The film seems like it tries to establish some cool plot devices but never really delivers on any of them. It harkens back to aspects Mothra and vs. Godzilla but is less successful than those films in accomplishing its goals. It's strange because while I don't think this film has a ton going on with it, I still think it has too much...to the point where it just seems like a bunch of random plot aspects stitched together by a drunken storyboarder in some attempt to put forth a coherent story.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:07 am Yeah, this is another Heisei movie you can basically throw in the "what could have been" bin. I don't think they did enough with Mothra/Battra's lore. The film seems like it tries to establish some cool plot devices but never really delivers on any of them. It harkens back to aspects Mothra and vs. Godzilla but is less successful than those films in accomplishing its goals.
This movie and the past ones all touch on the greed aspect of man. In this film, it seems more an extension of the heavy handed environmental message: Humans will destroy or abuse anything as long as they profit from it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:40 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:07 am Yeah, this is another Heisei movie you can basically throw in the "what could have been" bin. I don't think they did enough with Mothra/Battra's lore. The film seems like it tries to establish some cool plot devices but never really delivers on any of them. It harkens back to aspects Mothra and vs. Godzilla but is less successful than those films in accomplishing its goals.
This movie and the past ones all touch on the greed aspect of man. In this film, it seems more an extension of the heavy handed environmental message: Humans will destroy or abuse anything as long as they profit from it.
I get that but I felt like other Godzilla films have already touched upon that with greater success. Although the theme is obviously present, it doesn't have much weight to it, in terms of how its conveyed. At least in my opinion.

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

So the planet Earth itself is sentient in the movie titled, "Godzilla vs Mothra: Battle for Earth"?

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

When Mothra and Battra were born.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: So the planet Earth itself is sentient in the movie titled, "Godzilla vs Mothra: Battle for Earth"?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrannoraptor wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:44 pm When Mothra and Battra were born.
There was absolutely no reason to make a separate thread for that. To clarify, Tyrannoraptor is asking if the earth is sentient in the Heisei series based on some lines of dialogue in Godzilla and Mothra, Battle For Earth. I do think the film is a bit vague and undeveloped a rather big world building context to the overall Heisei series that gets discarded minus some brief mentions in Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

He is asking about Gaia theory then? Lines from the movie do touch on the idea, but the idea is never truly explored.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

It can be assumed Earth is alive in this movie given how it created Battra because it was angry about the Cosmos making the device, but that’s all we ever hear on it and this idea is completely dropped after the movie ends. You’d think the Earth would have had something to say about SpaceGodzilla, or Destoroyah, or Burning Godzilla, but no.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:05 pm You’d think the Earth would have had something to say about SpaceGodzilla, or Destoroyah, or Burning Godzilla, but no.
G vs SG did have a small mention of it, but the warnings were mainly issued through Mothra.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Spuro wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:05 pm
The Killer Meteor wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:02 am If Godzilla vs Hedorah follows Silent Spring, this follows Ferngully.
I think Ferngully is better compared to Rebirth of Mothra.
Did anyone know that Ferngully the Last Rainforest was Robin Williams' first animated feature film before he even did Aladdin? He was the voice of Batty Koda, a bat who was a victim of laboratory experiments.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^ I've never seen Ferngully. I wasn't aware Robin Williams was in it. That's really cool!

Not gonna lie I used to have absolute disdain for Godzilla vs Mothra '92. It's definitely grown on me in recent years though. Pretty decent family drama and a couple of really good visuals by Heisei/VS Series standards.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:30 am Not gonna lie I used to have absolute disdain for Godzilla vs Mothra '92. It's definitely grown on me in recent years though.
Welcome to the team, dude. I think that makes about three of us.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Gang Moth-ers rise up?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Funnily enough, this is the Heisei film I rewatch the most. This is one of my favorite Godzilla films, and I adore Battra.