Talkback: Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)

Post by Legion1979 »

Interesting how Ifukube does the same thing the following year in Monster Zero. Part of the final track is the Kurube Gorge theme from GTTHM.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:47 pmBreakdown, I think your giving Sugiyama too much credit, considering when he wrote these pieces he probably didn't even know what Biollabte even LOOKED like.
I said that may not have been Sugiyama's intent. This was merely my interpretation of the track and why I like it.
Last edited by Breakdown on Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

This has all made sense and been educational. Speaking as an ignorant layman with no knowledge of the art and science of film scoring, though, GvB's score still sounds pretty cool.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

The Calico
Ronin

Post by The Calico »

Breakdown wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:41 pm
ROMG4 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:00 pm Imagine actually hating on the Saradian agent

Shameful display, y'all jelly for his style!
The Chad Saradian Agent vs the Virgin Gondo

Seriously though, I always thought he had a sweet looking car. Still can't find anything about a make or model.
I'm no expert, but there's a shot of the car with "GSR-X" labeled on its side. Googling that returns the Mitsubishi Starion.

Regarding GvB's music, I agree that that it does not work as a film score; if anything, it hurts the film. Gunhed also suffers from reusing the same cues. But at least the drum loops, short phrases, and the 'repetitiveness' of individual cues make the edits feel far less unnatural than Biollante's.

While Ifukube was able to tailor his music to the films, he had to reuse the same recordings for the final acts of GvKG and GvM. And his military marches in the '90s films would sometimes be edited to stop abruptly. It's too bad that the composers and editors weren't given more time for finesse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Despite my own personal dislike towards Mr. Sugiyama, I think this video serves as a nice tribute to both Godzilla vs. Biollante and the work he composed. I think shown side by side, Bio-Wars captures the insanity of Godzilla vs. Biollante so well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

On the subject of a theme being used to represent anything happening in a movie, who among us can forget the infamous "Terror Hunt" in the UPA War of the Gargantuas?

As for Sugiyama's score, I agree its enjoyable on its own merits, albeit a bit inconsistent. You have the fun, but tremendously cheesy Bio Wars, but then the really beautiful (Regardless if it really "fits" the monster or not) aforementioned Biollante theme. Not sure if I'd rank as one of the series' best, but certainly among its more memorable. Doesn't make me feel any sympathy for Sugiyama's passing, of course (It's not like his viewpoints were ones he quietly held - his war crime denial seemed to be as associated with his image as his music).
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Godzilla vs. Biollante: A World Where Godzilla is Normal
Sean Dillon offers a discussion on the beauty and horrors of the unsuspecting 1989 kaiju film Godzilla vs. Biollante.

I think it would be interesting to see Biollante rescored with Ifukube themes, like Godzilla vs Gigan was.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tbeasley wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:17 am Godzilla vs. Biollante: A World Where Godzilla is Normal
Sean Dillon offers a discussion on the beauty and horrors of the unsuspecting 1989 kaiju film Godzilla vs. Biollante.
That was a really good read, and he makes some interesting points!

Two little factual quibbles, though: He misidentifies Teruyoshi Nakano as Biollante's designer, and he thinks Shiragami has a second daughter (I assume he's referring to Asuka, but she is Doctor Okochi's daughter, not Shiragami's).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I used this film in my most recent gigantic research essay considering Frankenstein and a plethora of other topics. Thanks Godzilla for you and your mischievous little adventures that are stuck in my head.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

While most movies where people play God end badly for man and/or the mad scientist, this one actually ends in a good sense. Shirigami does create a monster and then get shot, but his creation does save them from the greater threat of Godzilla and ends with Erica's soul being free.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here’s an idea : I’m not sure if I’ve brought it up before and I admit that I may’ve got it off another person but I’d thought I’d share it anyways. Would it be interesting if Toho did a movie that acted as a direct sequel to this film, ignoring the 90’s Heisei films? I think it would be a good mesh of going in a new direction, while simultaneously going back in an older one.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:49 pm Here’s an idea : I’m not sure if I’ve brought it up before and I admit that I may’ve got it off another person but I’d thought I’d share it anyways. Would it be interesting if Toho did a movie that acted as a direct sequel to this film, ignoring the 90’s Heisei films? I think it would be a good mesh of going in a new direction, while simultaneously going back in an older one.
As long as we get the BioGoji design back...I really don't even care what the story is.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:19 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:49 pm Here’s an idea : I’m not sure if I’ve brought it up before and I admit that I may’ve got it off another person but I’d thought I’d share it anyways. Would it be interesting if Toho did a movie that acted as a direct sequel to this film, ignoring the 90’s Heisei films? I think it would be a good mesh of going in a new direction, while simultaneously going back in an older one.
As long as we get the BioGoji design back...I really don't even care what the story is.
I'd rather have a really good story than a familiar Godzilla design (which seems unlikely anyway) but that's just me.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:25 pm
I'd rather have a really good story than a familiar Godzilla design (which seems unlikely anyway) but that's just me.
I may have jumped the gun a little bit.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

What kind of story do you imagine?

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Oh wow, I literally had the same thought around the time you posted this comment. I do think this would be a good idea. The first two movies of the Heisei series were really good with how grounded and serious they are, only for the rest of the films to come in an turn it into some kind of Saturday morning TV show. Don't get me wrong, I do like Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II and the two films that follow, but I feel that the Heisei series could've been better have ever film was like The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Biollante. Not to mention that Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is a mess filled with so much plot holes and Godzilla vs. Mothra is so cheesy that I just can't take it seriously. If Toho could go back and make a Heisei 2.0 timeline with Return and Biollante still canon, then that would be pretty cool, as long as the movies are very good.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:37 pm
Oh wow, I literally had the same thought around the time you posted this comment. I do think this would be a good idea. The first two movies of the Heisei series were really good with how grounded and serious they are, only for the rest of the films to come in an turn it into some kind of Saturday morning TV show. Don't get me wrong, I do like Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II and the two films that follow, but I feel that the Heisei series could've been better have ever film was like The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Biollante. Not to mention that Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is a mess filled with so much plot holes and Godzilla vs. Mothra is so cheesy that I just can't take it seriously. If Toho could go back and make a Heisei 2.0 timeline with Return and Biollante still canon, then that would be pretty cool, as long as the movies are very good.
What ideas for plots do you have?

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:02 pm
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:37 pm
What ideas for plots do you have?
Well, I was thinking of having Mothra vs. Bagan since that film was suppose to take place in the Heisei continuity.

As for original plots, I got nothing.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:08 pm

As for original plots, I got nothing.
I am thinking something along the lines of humanity learning to coexist with Godzilla.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

This may be a strange question, but does anyone know anything about the Company Pacific Express, shown on the Bio-Major agent's truck? I can't find anything about the company. Curious to know if it was a real company or just something made up for the film, or if it was just so small there is nothing on the internet about it. Probably won't get an answer, but interesting nonetheless.