GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
godjacob
Futurian

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Post by godjacob »

It's classic monster of the week structure. Gamera in the Showa era is similar in this regard, though I don't equate predictable with bad in the case of the animated series as it had likeable characters and genuinely creative Kaiju to make each episode worth it.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

godjacob wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:54 pm It's classic monster of the week structure.
kinda like godzilla since the 60s then
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Omegamorph wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:28 pm
godjacob wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:54 pm It's classic monster of the week structure.
kinda like godzilla since the 60s then
Indeed.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

But in classic Godzilla and Gamera movies, each entry had a unique and engaging story and - for lack of a better word - vibe. For a more apt comparison, there are plenty of monster/villain-of-the-week animated shows that still manage to feel distinctive and engaging from episode to episode. Personally, I just feel like the show lacks any really engaging texture (any duende, if you'll allow me to slightly abuse the term).

I don't mean to trash the show, I don't have anything against it, it just hasn't ever resonated with me.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rurouni Senator
Yojimbo

Post by Rurouni Senator »

Being stale is not my favorite thing, and I say it as one who enjoys some of the repetitive and formulaic 80s cartoons to a certain extent.
But I'm glad I'm not the rare person who remembers that show. Thanks for sharing opinions on it.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

I rewatched it again and I cam say it is a fun monster movie that kinda feels like the beast of 20.000 fathoms.
It is a bad Godzilla though.
But if I am honest it does include 1 of my favorite scenes in kaiju movies
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

attilagodzilla wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:29 am But if I am honest it does include 1 of my favorite scenes in kaiju movies
Which scene is that?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am
attilagodzilla wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:29 am But if I am honest it does include 1 of my favorite scenes in kaiju movies
Which scene is that?
The scene where mayor Ebert Is holding a speech and you slowly hear godzilla's footsteps coming closer and see vehicles bopping up and down then you see dust with two large fins coming out of it and hear Godzilla's roar.
I just love the build up there it's actually pretty tense. And it always manages to impress me. Even though besides that the movie is pretty mediocre.
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I honestly really like the scene where Godzilla was shaking the truck and you see his teeth just burst into the insides of it. Thst was a pretty neat shot NGL.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

attilagodzilla wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:02 am
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am
Which scene is that?
The scene where mayor Ebert Is holding a speech and you slowly hear godzilla's footsteps coming closer and see vehicles bopping up and down then you see dust with two large fins coming out of it and hear Godzilla's roar.
I just love the build up there it's actually pretty tense. And it always manages to impress me. Even though besides that the movie is pretty mediocre.
Gigantis wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:22 am I honestly really like the scene where Godzilla was shaking the truck and you see his teeth just burst into the insides of it. Thst was a pretty neat shot NGL.
There's definitely some good shots in the film; Unfortunately, much as I love this film, the good parts don't quite outweigh all of the bad. But I do think there are some really solid shots, especially where Practical FX are involved.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

There are definitely some good moments in this movie. I thought the whole Mayor Ebert and his advisor Gene were pretty clever and funny. The resemblance is also spot-on. There are some good shots and even CG shots although they are obviously disguised by the rain and urban setting. While "Godzilla" is very UnGodzilla I do like his character and how he is certainly a global threat. He is kind of like a kaiju version of Batman. He doesn't have any real powers but can still be a deadly threat with his wits and ambushes. Of course his offspring could be a huge threat if given the time to reproduce and basically conquered the world.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Zasraniec wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:14 pm There are definitely some good moments in this movie. I thought the whole Mayor Ebert and his advisor Gene were pretty clever and funny. The resemblance is also spot-on. There are some good shots and even CG shots although they are obviously disguised by the rain and urban setting. While "Godzilla" is very UnGodzilla I do like his character and how he is certainly a global threat. He is kind of like a kaiju version of Batman. He doesn't have any real powers but can still be a deadly threat with his wits and ambushes. Of course his offspring could be a huge threat if given the time to reproduce and basically conquered the world.
Like in Godzilla: Monster Apocalypse, where the 'Zillas' overrun a good portion of Southern Europe, and if I remember correctly (and there's some debate as to its credibility) they WEREN'T actually entirely wiped out; Some of them still lived in the 'zoned off areas'.

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

Growing up in the UK meant I really only had access to this movie as a child - but it was one of my favourites, and I still absolutely love the design of Zilla.

Without it I doubt I'd be the fan of the series I am today.

But is it a good Godzilla movie? No, not at all - and the directors never intended it to be.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Mechabrozilla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:11 pm Growing up in the UK meant I really only had access to this movie as a child - but it was one of my favourites, and I still absolutely love the design of Zilla.

But is it a good Godzilla movie? No, not at all - and the directors never intended it to be.
Sad but true. I mean, heck, I've defended this film and the monster, but everything I like about it can be counted on maybe two hands tops.

Pros
1. The opening scenes/early scenes (i.e Diet Godzilla attacking the boats, the infamous 'Gojira' scene, the footprints in Panama)

2. The 11 minutes where Godzilla actually appears (attacking the boats, making landfall, fighting the military, the final chase)

3. The design of the monster, and the practical FX (later includes the CGI when they touch it up in the BLU-Ray releases and stuff)

4. Like, the two or three actually decent human characters who aren't infuriating (Philippe Roache, Animal, General Hicks, Elsie Chapman)

5. A few of the jokes are stupid, but kinda funny and got a chuckle out of me.

Cons:
1. Literally everything else in the movie.

And I say this as a staunch FAN of GODZILLA 1998, but the movie was not great. Like, at all.
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

Am I crazy for still getting really sad at the end when Godzilla dies?
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

attilagodzilla wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:22 am Am I crazy for still getting really sad at the end when Godzilla dies?
Not at all-I think it's a sad scene too. It's a shame then that they brush over it so darn quickly

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Mechabrozilla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:11 pm Growing up in the UK meant I really only had access to this movie as a child - but it was one of my favourites, and I still absolutely love the design of Zilla.

It's not even a good giant monster movie. All of its flaws have been pointed out here ad nauseum and in the RLM Half in the Bag vid on the two American Godzilla movies. Rich even says "the new Godzilla (G14) has its issues, but it got what it needed to get right. This (G98) doesn't get anything right". And he'd be right.
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:44 pm 2. The 11 minutes where Godzilla actually appears (attacking the boats, making landfall, fighting the military, the final chase)
When did this happen? In the movie that I remember seeing, he just runs away from shit while the incompetent AF military somehow keeps missing a 200+ foot tall iguana that can somehow fit in a sewer, yet can't fit through a tunnel.

And the end chase scene (which was also nothing special BTW) has more plot holes than Swiss cheese. Hell, I just pointed out a glaring one.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

KManX89 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:53 pm

It's not even a good giant monster movie. All of its flaws have been pointed out here ad nauseum and in the RLM Half in the Bag vid on the two American Godzilla movies. Rich even says "the new Godzilla (G14) has its issues, but it got what it needed to get right. This (G98) doesn't get anything right". And he'd be right.
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:44 pm 2. The 11 minutes where Godzilla actually appears (attacking the boats, making landfall, fighting the military, the final chase)
When did this happen? In the movie that I remember seeing, he just runs away from poop while the incompetent AF military somehow keeps missing a 200+ foot tall iguana that can somehow fit in a sewer, yet can't fit through a tunnel.

And the end chase scene (which was also nothing special BTW) has more plot holes than Swiss cheese. Hell, I just pointed out a glaring one.
In regards to the first part, I still think it's an okay flick-It's not GOOD by any standards of the imagination, but I feel it has at least some strengths or good parts about it that unfortunately just get lost in the mess of inconsistent writing, bland characters, and too much flash over substance; And while this is hardly something new or unique to the franchise given some of the Japanese Godzilla's entries, it still doesn't excuse this movie's various sins so much as seem to be unfair to solely affiliate anything wrong with Godzilla on this one movie.

I don't deny that there's a lot of problems, but from my own subjective viewpoint I don't think it's UNWATCHABLE-just boring and a tad annoying in some parts because of the messy direction and lack of respect for the source material. It's not great, but I still enjoy it and I can't say it seems any worse to me than some of the other stuff that's been made over the years.

To be honest, I think that's kind of the problem in discussing this movie, or really ANY movie by extension-Some people think it's a good monster movie but not a good Godzilla movie, others think it's NOT a good movie PERIOD, and a few even think it's a decent Godzilla movie. And everyone has their own reasons and arguments as to why-I think the important thing we can do is try and see it from another angle or perspective as best we can.

As for the second part, he does still fight them-Granted, he does run for a good chunk of the film, but he also turns around and either ambushes the military (like the Apaches that were chasing him) turns around and stands his ground (when he first uses his 'Power Breath' against the Jeeps) and he did go on the offensive a few times, like when he trampled their gunlines/tanks after they open fire on him from the first fish-pile, or when he uses his scutes to slice through the hull of the Ohio Submarine.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

The fact that this isn’t a “proper” Godzilla movie is the least of its problems. I’d go so far as to say that making Godzilla less of an indestructible monster and more of a large animal isn’t a bad idea on paper (although it would’ve been nice if he had atomic breath). The problem is that the movie is just really dumb and shallow, with cartoony and uninspired characters, and a plot that requires the characters to be a bunch of idiots in order for there to be conflict. It also shamelessly rips off Jurassic Park, which is lame.
Last edited by Garzon on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Garzon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:00 pm The fact that this isn’t a “proper” Godzilla movie is the least of its problems. I’d go so far as to say that making Godzilla less of an indestructible monster and more of a large animal isn’t a bad idea on paper (although it would’ve been nice if he had atomic breath). The problem is that the movie is just really dumb and shallow, with cartoony and uninspired characters, and a plot that requires the characters to be a bunch of idiots in order for there to be conflict. It also shamelessly rips off Jurassic Park, which is lame.
I agree on both accounts-Making Godzilla more fallible can be a good thing sometimes, as the constant "UNTOUCHABLE GOD-KING OF MONSTERS" angle can be kinda dull after a while; Not that they made Godzilla in this movie any better, sadly. I mean, I thought it was an okay execution for the monster, and I still like this film, but writing is NOT this movie's friend...at all.