GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Post by Omegamorph »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:34 amthis same document mentions
What document? Is it available anywhere to read?
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It sounds like Toho wasn't sure about this movie, and was waiting to see how it performed.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

Omegamorph wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:30 pm
You can find it pretty easily on Wikileaks
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:34 am Source: A 1993 Licensing Agreement Document for TriStar's Acquisition of Godzilla from Toho.
...this same document mentions that TriStar do not get the rights to King Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan.
This doesn't surprise me. I read an interview with Randy Stradley of Dark Horse Comics around that time, and he said that the reason Dark Horse had Godzilla fighting knock-off enemies such as Cyber-saur was because Toho wanted a separate licensing agreement / fee for each monster in their stable. Dark Horse could only use Godzilla because that was all they could afford. I would imagine that a similar arrangement existed with TriStar.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

G1985 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:04 pm
EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:34 am Source: A 1993 Licensing Agreement Document for TriStar's Acquisition of Godzilla from Toho.
...this same document mentions that TriStar do not get the rights to King Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan.
This doesn't surprise me. I read an interview with Randy Stradley of Dark Horse Comics around that time, and he said that the reason Dark Horse had Godzilla fighting knock-off enemies such as Cyber-saur was because Toho wanted a separate licensing agreement / fee for each monster in their stable. Dark Horse could only use Godzilla because that was all they could afford. I would imagine that a similar arrangement existed with TriStar.
TOHO likes to license things separately. Godzilla's design, roar, atomic breath, and music are all separate.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:50 pmTOHO likes to license things separately. Godzilla's design, roar, atomic breath, and music are all separate.
Why’s that? Are they just THAT desperate for cash?

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:51 pm
EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:50 pmTOHO likes to license things separately. Godzilla's design, roar, atomic breath, and music are all separate.
Yes.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:51 pm
It's TOHO. What do you think?

Added in 1 minute 11 seconds:
Though I will argue in this case, its more protectiveness of the property then being greedy.

Which given we're in a thread talking about the disaster the last time they gave someone free reign, can ya blame them?

RIP Evan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Back in 1978, they put separate prices on both the character and his roar for crying out loud.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:47 pm
Do you mean the 52-page document? Only one I've found
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

Omegamorph wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:45 pm
EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:47 pm
Do you mean the 52-page document? Only one I've found
That is the correct document.
It's a pretty interesting read if you take the time to, gives a lot of context to the making, and especially the advertising of the film.
Last edited by EvaGhidorah01 on Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

I had the opportunity to see this film earlier this year as part of a rewatch of the entire franchise. Up until that point, it was the last Godzilla film that I hadn't yet seen (barring the Netflix Anime Trilogy), having already watched every Showa, Heisei, and Millenium film twice up to that point as well as Shin Godzilla. The revisiting of the other films was refreshing as I had little recollection of many of them, having been a child or young teenager on my first viewing, and I was surprised at how often my opinion did not align with the majority mindset. Going into this film, I was cautiously optimistic that people were wrong about this one, that the hate was a kneejerk reaction to a film that didn't align with expectations and that this film was good, just different. I expected to echo the oft-repeated sentiment of "It was a good monster movie, just a bad Godzilla movie."

Boy, how wrong I was.

I can safely say that this is not only the worst Godzilla movie I have ever seen, but one of the worst movies I've ever had the displeasure of seeing in general. I know there's some truly awful cinema out there that I haven't dipped my toes into but even with my limited palette I could tell that Godzilla 1998 was atrocious. The characters are unlikable, generally behave like idiots, serious moments are undercut with pointless comedy at the wrong moments, bad Hollywood tropes are inserted everywhere you look, and to me, the biggest sin of all: the film was outright boring to watch. I couldn't wait for it to end. The only somewhat fun bit was the chase with the baby Godzillas in the baseball stadium, and even that was marred by being a blatant ripoff of Jurassic Park. I acknowledge that some Toho Godzilla films are bad, I'm not going to act like vs. Megalon is a masterclass of cinema, but at least they were fun due to how cheesy and over the top they were. This film had some cheesy moments but for the most part took itself almost completely seriously, making it a total snoozefest.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:01 am That is the correct document.
It's a pretty interesting read if you take the time to, gives a lot of context to the making, and especially the advertising of the film.
Yeap, as someone who's been researching the movie for the better half of a decade, thank you for the heads-up mate

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

Omegamorph wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:26 am
EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:01 am That is the correct document.
Yeap, as someone who's been researching the movie for the better half of a decade, thank you for the heads-up mate
I hope it proves useful to you

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

I don't know if this is the proper place to share it, but I had been trying to do a 're-write' of GODZILLA that I hope would be more palatable; It's really only a rough outline/script, but it's something

Rurouni Senator
Yojimbo

Post by Rurouni Senator »

I rewatched it a few years back and I still love it, but it is full of plotholes and nonsense is all over the board with this one.

Anyone else watched some episodes from the Fox cartoon that ties-into this movie? I've enjoyed what I saw, and the art style and coloring look neat to me.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Rurouni Senator wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:02 am Anyone else watched some episodes from the Fox cartoon that ties-into this movie? I've enjoyed what I saw, and the art style and coloring look neat to me.
Most of us have, I think. General consensus among the fandom is that Godzilla: The Series is the silver lining to GINO's rain cloud. It has its share of problems, but also a lot to like. It turns the iguana into something a heck of a lot closer to an actual Godzilla, and introduces some cool new monsters along the way.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:29 am
Rurouni Senator wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:02 am Anyone else watched some episodes from the Fox cartoon that ties-into this movie? I've enjoyed what I saw, and the art style and coloring look neat to me.
Most of us have, I think. General consensus among the fandom is that Godzilla: The Series is the silver lining to GINO's rain cloud. It has its share of problems, but also a lot to like. It turns the iguana into something a heck of a lot closer to an actual Godzilla, and introduces some cool new monsters along the way.
There's no denying that the GINO cartoon was an improvement over the movie that preceded it, but one potential pro for it the Debont film got made could have been an even better animated tie-in.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I just bought Godzilla: The Series on DVD...never seen it. Gonna rewatch the 98 film before I start for context (even if I don't want to).
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I've tried to get through the animated series, but I honestly find it pretty boring.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.