GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Lesko wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:43 pm Godzilla isn't a masterpiece or anything but I think there was some potential from the stench of this one. The sequel sounded good from the draft we saw. So I am curious, do you guys think that if plans continued to make the sequel and expand the Tristar series that it could have been redeemed? I think it very well could have been and the draft to the sequel and the cartoon spin-off are proof of that. If any sequels were good enough people would probably forget the initial flop as a mistake but appreciate the series as a whole. I wouldn't mind a Godzilla series where the first doesn't feel like Godzilla but the other entries would make up for it as the new surviving Godzilla embodies everything about Godzilla much more than his 98 counterpart.
I like to think it could have, although admittedly some people still think the sequels wouldn't have been any good, complaining they rip off other movies (ie Aliens with the Queen Bitch and Hive Kaiju, E.T. with the scene where Nick sneaks the baby Godzilla out in a coat) whereas others generally think it would have at least been an improvement. Sadly we will (likely) never know, but at least we got a solid cartoon series out of it, and GINO has gotten some merch and love over the years.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Rewatching this film for the first time in years, and guess what? I still love it. Still my favorite American Godzilla adaptation.
Last edited by Anguirus on Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:29 am I like to think it could have, although admittedly some people still think the sequels wouldn't have been any good, complaining they rip off other movies (ie Aliens with the Queen female dog and Hive Kaiju, E.T. with the scene where Nick sneaks the baby Godzilla out in a coat) whereas others generally think it would have at least been an improvement. Sadly we will (likely) never know, but at least we got a solid cartoon series out of it, and GINO has gotten some merch and love over the years.
I always assumed Nick dressing Godzilla in a coat was a reference to the Marvel Godzilla comics.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm honestly kinda curious to see what this incarnation of Godzilla's future is. Apparently, Zilla's not trademarked by Toho anymore, but this design as a whole is still Godzilla... sooo, what does that entail for the both of them?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:44 am I'm honestly kinda curious to see what this incarnation of Godzilla's future is. Apparently, Zilla's not trademarked by Toho anymore, but this design as a whole is still Godzilla... sooo, what does that entail for the both of them?
Wikizilla has answered this question, @Gigantis.
In Japan Zilla continues to be copyrighted by Toho. It's just the case of the license outside of japan, that Toho gives up to renew the character's image rights. This does not mean that anyone can use Zilla's image. Unless you want visits from Toho's lawyers.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Ryu wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:19 am
Gigantis wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:44 am I'm honestly kinda curious to see what this incarnation of Godzilla's future is. Apparently, Zilla's not trademarked by Toho anymore, but this design as a whole is still Godzilla... sooo, what does that entail for the both of them?
In Japan Zilla continues to be copyrighted by Toho. It's just the case of the license outside of japan, that Toho gives up to renew the character's image rights. This does not mean that anyone can use Zilla's image. Unless you want visits from Toho's lawyers.
I wonder why they let the license expire outside of Japan then.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:19 am
Ryu wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:19 am
I wonder why they let the license expire outside of Japan then.
If I had to guess simple error or oversight that Toho will address soon.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

One more thing regarding the original Debont version of this film : Even if Godzilla had actually remained Godzilla in both form and function as originally intended, would've it meant nothing if the whole "folly of man" aspect of his character's background been swapped in favor of the whole Alien/Atlantean origin as proposed?

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:11 pm One more thing regarding the original Debont version of this film : Even if Godzilla had actually remained Godzilla in both form and function as originally intended, would've it meant nothing if the whole "folly of man" aspect of his character's background been swapped in favor of the whole Alien/Atlantean origin as proposed?
Godzilla has evolved to represent many things over the years and is still doing so, so no. Especially when you take Legendary's Godzilla into account, which borrowed heavily from this particular version of the Big Guy.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

Ngl i still kinda wanna see this american godzilla be curbstomped by the current
true american godzilla
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

attilagodzilla wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:59 am Ngl i still kinda wanna see this american godzilla be curbstomped by the current
true american godzilla
That would be something to see.

Foetodon I think would be (or perhaps even IS) a good proxy for the 'TriStar' Godzilla, at least in so far as people tend to headcanon the creature as being a relative to the 'Godzilla genus'. I think having some of those 'concept art' variations (ie the REALLY big, muscled versions) acting as a sort of pack hunting animal a-la Monster Apocalypse would be really cool to see.

Maybe even a whole scene where a MONARCH expedition team enters a Foetodon nest, and it's a recreation of the infamous Madison Square Garden scene; Escaping the ravenous babies, killing some in the process, and drawing the ire of the bigger and now righteously p'oed adults. Cut to Godzilla or Kong coming to the rescue, fending off the furious Foetodon assault, albeit earning cuts and bruises in the process.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:08 pm

As a GINO fan, I apologize on behalf of all of us for doing that. Also, while I hate to pry or push any of my nonsense, I did come up with a rough draft of a Godzilla 1998 script re-write that's more in flavor with Godzilla: The Series and the unmade sequel. If you could spare a few minutes, please tell me what you think!
Spoiler:
GODZILLA (1998)

The Galapagos Islands are being patrolled by several major military ships as armed soldiers touch down on one of the remote islands. Portions of the island are fire-bombed via airstrike, drawing out a large unseen creature that the battleships open fire on. However, shortly after dispatching the first animal, a much larger individual appears and attacks the fleet, destroying the vessels as the remaining military withdraw from the islands as the second beast disappears into the waters.

Weeks later, The Humanitarian Environmental Analysis Team (or HEAT) consisting of Dr. Niko "Nick" Tatopoulos, Dr. Elsie Chapman, Dr Mendel Craven, Randy Hernandez, and Special Agent Monique Dupri, are sent in to investigate the sudden attacks and military presence. Their investigation reveals that some of the islands have been used to conduct nuclear tests to research the effects of radiation on wildlife. They collect skin samples from the hulls of the beached battleships, and on the audio equipment discover a bizarre audio recording; both of these samples belong to a previously unidentified species, which they theorize may have been born from the fallout.

As this happens, boats of every description along the Northeastern seaboard coast are repeatedly attacked and downed by mysterious circumstances; shortly thereafter the second creature from before makes landfall in New York, carving a path of destruction in its wake as the city is evacuated as quickly as possible. Dr Nick Niko Tatopoulous and Monique Dupri are brought back to New York at the behest of Agent Philip Roache, who needs their knowledge on the creature to try and neutralize it before more lives are lost.

The animal is later nicknamed 'Gojira' (or 'Godzilla' in the English translation) due to its resemblance to the mythical namesake as a giant, reptilian creature. Godzilla is drawn out with a massive pile of marine life and algae as bait, as well as the audio-recording they had recovered from the island. The monster is ambushed by the military, but the creatures' tough hide, speed, and strength allow it to effortlessly shrug off anything thrown its way and viciously counteract, destroying large swathes of New York during the battle. During the fight, Godzilla reveals the ability to breathe a green, napalm like blast of fire that decimates the military's vehicles.

Further skin samples garnered from the fight reveal Godzilla to have evolved from a Marine Iguana via radiation, meaning the creature that fought with the military in the Galapagos is the same creature that had come ashore in New York, with the initial assumption to why being that Godzilla, being a male, is trying to stake out new territory after having been driven from his old 'stomping grounds', and is trying to drive the humans off of his new turf. His 'atomic breath' is further theorized to be caused by the chlorophyll and proteins in its diet of algae and sea-life have a chemical reaction with the radioactive enzymes and salt in his mouth, producing the vermillion green blast of thermonuclear fire thanks to the heat and pressure.

A second attempt is made to kill Godzilla during when it is found foraging in the Hudson River for food, dodging the Navy Submarine's torpedoes and downing one of them before being shot by two torpedoes. Godzilla uses his Atomic Breath underwater, boiling the water around it to create a 'smoke screen' as he burrows away and escape once more. However, during the battle they had managed to shoot him with a special 'armor piercing' missile laced with copious amounts of tranquilizers.

Back on the island, Dr Chapman, Dr Craven, and Randy Hernandez uncover more about Godzilla's origins. They find that Godzilla was not the only 'mutant' to have been produced by the nuclear testing, and the ruins of a damaged research facility are packed with the specimens of all kinds of animals endemic to the islands, many of them heavily deformed or oversized as a result of the radiation. Chief among them are several goliath Marine Iguana skeletons ranging in size from a komodo dragon to a blue whale, each one larger and less mutated than the last as a result of the species adapting and/or evolving in tandem to the radiation in their bodies. Later on they find a 'Godzilla' carcass having washed ashore on the island, and an autopsy reveals that it was female-and pregnant, leading to the conclusion that the reason Godzilla flies into such a violent rage at the sight of humans is out of grief of losing his mate and family.

Godzilla's is discovered recuperating from the last battle within the Madison Square Garden, the US Military initially planning to launch an airstrike on his nest-this idea is turned down out of fear that Godzilla, even in his drugged and tired condition, would hear the jet engines coming and either escape or counterattack. Instead, HEAT, Roache, and a team of soldiers are deployed to plant chemical weapons to asphyxiate the monster while it is still asleep, and move to deploy their toxic payload. However, upon setting up the charges, Godzilla starts to wake up, and several members of the team are killed by the waking Godzilla as they radio in a squadron of fighters that had been brought in on standby just in case the plan fell through. As the jets raze the Madison Square Garden, the few survivors (Nick, Animal, and Monique) barely manage to escape as the Madison Square Garden is firebombed, with Godzilla inside.

Unfortunately, Godzilla survives the latest attempt on his life, and now completely enraged with pain gives chase to the remaining survivors; However, his wounds and drugged state combined with the cold temperatures of the night leave him more sluggish than usual, allowing the team one last narrow escape as they lure him out onto the Brooklyn Bridge, where he is caught within the cables and barraged with missile fire. The weight of Godzilla and damage done to the bridge via the bombardment cause it to collapse with Godzilla still entangled within the cables into the Hudson River, with the survivors celebrating the death of Godzilla.

A few months after the attack, New York is being decontaminated from the fallout of Godzilla's presence and HEAT is on their next investigation, the team-members expressing concern over the fact that Godzilla's body was never recovered from the Hudson, as well as worry that Godzilla may not have been the only mutant to have escaped the island or the military's watch. Their sonar machines promptly pick up a plethora of vocalizations, among them Godzilla's...but Godzilla's vocalizations come from two separate sources.

Elsewhere, a massive shadow looms off the coast of Tokyo....
I like your rewrite.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:44 am
attilagodzilla wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:59 am Ngl i still kinda wanna see this american godzilla be curbstomped by the current
true american godzilla

Foetodon I think would be (or perhaps even IS) a good proxy for the 'TriStar' Godzilla, at least in so far as people tend to headcanon the creature as being a relative to the 'Godzilla genus'. I think having some of those 'concept art' variations (ie the REALLY big, muscled versions) acting as a sort of pack hunting animal a-la Monster Apocalypse would be really cool to see.

Maybe even a whole scene where a MONARCH expedition team enters a Foetodon nest, and it's a recreation of the infamous Madison Square Garden scene; Escaping the ravenous babies, killing some in the process, and drawing the ire of the bigger and now righteously p'oed adults. Cut to Godzilla or Kong coming to the rescue, fending off the furious Foetodon assault, albeit earning cuts and bruises in the process.
Why would a Peter Jackson monster be involved in this as a stand-in for Gino? Seems a bit random.

And since when did people headcanon it as a relative of Godzilla?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Spuro wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:24 pm
true american godzilla

Why would a Peter Jackson monster be involved in this as a stand-in for Gino? Seems a bit random.

Some absolute dope who did up the "scene descriptor for the visually impaired" track for GvK labeled the Hollow Earth lizards as Foetodon & the Rock Critters as Arachno-Claws.

The folks who actually worked on the film & designed the creatures have never recognized/acknowledged this classification, so why people keep running with this, I haven't a clue.

And as for the Hollow Earth Lizards being Godzilla relatives, the art book stated that they were designed as such, iirc.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

NSZ wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:57 pm Some absolute dope who did up the "scene descriptor for the visually impaired" track for GvK labeled the Hollow Earth lizards as Foetodon & the Rock Critters as Arachno-Claws.

The folks who actually worked on the film & designed the creatures have never recognized/acknowledged this classification, so why people keep running with this, I haven't a clue.
That is... okay. That is really friggin bizarre. And maybe not entirely legal? I have no clue if those are trademarked.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Spuro wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:24 pm
true american godzilla

I think part of it is that a lot of people see Doug/Foetodon/The Hollow Earth Lizard as looking similar enough to GINO that they're a good 'proxy'.

As for the last part, IIRC, there had been a mention somewhere that the Hollow Earth Lizard is distantly related to (or at least designed to look like) the 'Godzilla' genus in Monsterverse Canon.

Added in 41 seconds:
edgaguirus wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:57 pm
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:08 pm

As a GINO fan, I apologize on behalf of all of us for doing that. Also, while I hate to pry or push any of my nonsense, I did come up with a rough draft of a Godzilla 1998 script re-write that's more in flavor with Godzilla: The Series and the unmade sequel. If you could spare a few minutes, please tell me what you think!
Spoiler:
GODZILLA (1998)

The Galapagos Islands are being patrolled by several major military ships as armed soldiers touch down on one of the remote islands. Portions of the island are fire-bombed via airstrike, drawing out a large unseen creature that the battleships open fire on. However, shortly after dispatching the first animal, a much larger individual appears and attacks the fleet, destroying the vessels as the remaining military withdraw from the islands as the second beast disappears into the waters.

Weeks later, The Humanitarian Environmental Analysis Team (or HEAT) consisting of Dr. Niko "Nick" Tatopoulos, Dr. Elsie Chapman, Dr Mendel Craven, Randy Hernandez, and Special Agent Monique Dupri, are sent in to investigate the sudden attacks and military presence. Their investigation reveals that some of the islands have been used to conduct nuclear tests to research the effects of radiation on wildlife. They collect skin samples from the hulls of the beached battleships, and on the audio equipment discover a bizarre audio recording; both of these samples belong to a previously unidentified species, which they theorize may have been born from the fallout.

As this happens, boats of every description along the Northeastern seaboard coast are repeatedly attacked and downed by mysterious circumstances; shortly thereafter the second creature from before makes landfall in New York, carving a path of destruction in its wake as the city is evacuated as quickly as possible. Dr Nick Niko Tatopoulous and Monique Dupri are brought back to New York at the behest of Agent Philip Roache, who needs their knowledge on the creature to try and neutralize it before more lives are lost.

The animal is later nicknamed 'Gojira' (or 'Godzilla' in the English translation) due to its resemblance to the mythical namesake as a giant, reptilian creature. Godzilla is drawn out with a massive pile of marine life and algae as bait, as well as the audio-recording they had recovered from the island. The monster is ambushed by the military, but the creatures' tough hide, speed, and strength allow it to effortlessly shrug off anything thrown its way and viciously counteract, destroying large swathes of New York during the battle. During the fight, Godzilla reveals the ability to breathe a green, napalm like blast of fire that decimates the military's vehicles.

Further skin samples garnered from the fight reveal Godzilla to have evolved from a Marine Iguana via radiation, meaning the creature that fought with the military in the Galapagos is the same creature that had come ashore in New York, with the initial assumption to why being that Godzilla, being a male, is trying to stake out new territory after having been driven from his old 'stomping grounds', and is trying to drive the humans off of his new turf. His 'atomic breath' is further theorized to be caused by the chlorophyll and proteins in its diet of algae and sea-life have a chemical reaction with the radioactive enzymes and salt in his mouth, producing the vermillion green blast of thermonuclear fire thanks to the heat and pressure.

A second attempt is made to kill Godzilla during when it is found foraging in the Hudson River for food, dodging the Navy Submarine's torpedoes and downing one of them before being shot by two torpedoes. Godzilla uses his Atomic Breath underwater, boiling the water around it to create a 'smoke screen' as he burrows away and escape once more. However, during the battle they had managed to shoot him with a special 'armor piercing' missile laced with copious amounts of tranquilizers.

Back on the island, Dr Chapman, Dr Craven, and Randy Hernandez uncover more about Godzilla's origins. They find that Godzilla was not the only 'mutant' to have been produced by the nuclear testing, and the ruins of a damaged research facility are packed with the specimens of all kinds of animals endemic to the islands, many of them heavily deformed or oversized as a result of the radiation. Chief among them are several goliath Marine Iguana skeletons ranging in size from a komodo dragon to a blue whale, each one larger and less mutated than the last as a result of the species adapting and/or evolving in tandem to the radiation in their bodies. Later on they find a 'Godzilla' carcass having washed ashore on the island, and an autopsy reveals that it was female-and pregnant, leading to the conclusion that the reason Godzilla flies into such a violent rage at the sight of humans is out of grief of losing his mate and family.

Godzilla's is discovered recuperating from the last battle within the Madison Square Garden, the US Military initially planning to launch an airstrike on his nest-this idea is turned down out of fear that Godzilla, even in his drugged and tired condition, would hear the jet engines coming and either escape or counterattack. Instead, HEAT, Roache, and a team of soldiers are deployed to plant chemical weapons to asphyxiate the monster while it is still asleep, and move to deploy their toxic payload. However, upon setting up the charges, Godzilla starts to wake up, and several members of the team are killed by the waking Godzilla as they radio in a squadron of fighters that had been brought in on standby just in case the plan fell through. As the jets raze the Madison Square Garden, the few survivors (Nick, Animal, and Monique) barely manage to escape as the Madison Square Garden is firebombed, with Godzilla inside.

Unfortunately, Godzilla survives the latest attempt on his life, and now completely enraged with pain gives chase to the remaining survivors; However, his wounds and drugged state combined with the cold temperatures of the night leave him more sluggish than usual, allowing the team one last narrow escape as they lure him out onto the Brooklyn Bridge, where he is caught within the cables and barraged with missile fire. The weight of Godzilla and damage done to the bridge via the bombardment cause it to collapse with Godzilla still entangled within the cables into the Hudson River, with the survivors celebrating the death of Godzilla.

A few months after the attack, New York is being decontaminated from the fallout of Godzilla's presence and HEAT is on their next investigation, the team-members expressing concern over the fact that Godzilla's body was never recovered from the Hudson, as well as worry that Godzilla may not have been the only mutant to have escaped the island or the military's watch. Their sonar machines promptly pick up a plethora of vocalizations, among them Godzilla's...but Godzilla's vocalizations come from two separate sources.

Elsewhere, a massive shadow looms off the coast of Tokyo....
I like your rewrite.
Also thank you! I understand it's still a bit rough but I'm fairly proud of it too!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

G98 is the only movie where the title character only shows up at the very end.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

As bad as this movie is, I do kind of wish we could’ve gotten that sequel where the surviving offspring fights the “Queen Bitch.” It probably would’ve flopped, but it might’ve at least gone over better with Godzilla fans and Toho, since Godzilla was actually supposed to have atomic breath in the movie.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

And having a fight would also help make it seem more like Godzilla.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:55 pm And having a fight would also help make it seem more like Godzilla.
yeah ain't godzilla if there's no monster WWE

1954, 1984, Shin never existed
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.