GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Post by Leviarex »

Deleted
Last edited by Leviarex on Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Leviarex wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:11 pm
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:34 pm
Garzon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:00 pm The fact that this isn’t a “proper” Godzilla movie is the least of its problems. I’d go so far as to say that making Godzilla less of an indestructible monster and more of a large animal isn’t a bad idea on paper (although it would’ve been nice if he had atomic breath). The problem is that the movie is just really dumb and shallow, with cartoony and uninspired characters, and a plot that requires the characters to be a bunch of idiots in order for there to be conflict. It also shamelessly rips off Jurassic Park, which is lame.
I agree on both accounts-Making Godzilla more fallible can be a good thing sometimes, as the constant "UNTOUCHABLE GOD-KING OF MONSTERS" angle can be kinda dull after a while
In my (and certainly many other fans') eyes, that's just too integral a part of his character to ever be changed.
That's fair, and I'm not saying making him incredibly weak is the right angle to go, but I feel that when that makes him super overpowered and he trounces any obstacle in his way it becomes dull; He can be the king, but he's got to EARN the Crown, y'know? Like, Final Wars-I love that movie too, but let's be real, Godzilla is way too strong. Or for that matter, Godzilla Earth, whose just super strong because he's 'The King of the Monsters'-and this of course means we don't have to see him actually work to earn his crown. He just walks through Hell and kills the entire Greek God pantheon because he's 'The King of the Monsters'

Now, on their own, these stories aren't bad-I think they're fun forays, even. But when it becomes the same thing over and over again, where Godzilla just wins by default with not even a struggle, then where's the fun in it? Sure, we know Godzilla's going to win (almost always) in the end, but dang it he should at least have to put in the effort to win, not just breathe on his opponent and win without a scratch. If nothing else, seeing someone as exceptionally powerful as Godzilla get knocked down a peg is always good because it shows he's not invulnerable to everything-there are monsters out there that are as strong, if not STRONGER than he is-and that gives a sense of danger.

Heck, it's part of the reason one of my favorite scenes in Godzilla: Final wars was where Godzilla is fighting Monster X....and gets his tail kicked. Like, he gets a second wind against Monster X and then gets the poop beaten out of him. Or, heck, look at Godzilla vs Destroyah where even his famed 'Red-Spiral Ray' hits Destroyah; and does nothing. Burning Godzilla is one of THE strongest incarnations of the Big Guy (at least in terms of raw power) and he still struggled to kill Destroyah. Go even further back to the Showa series, such as in Image and look at how MechaGodzilla is able to keep him on the ropes throughout the entire movie-even with King Caesar helping Godzilla out he struggled to beat them.

In my opinion, Godzilla is King of the Monsters and the 'strongest' because he earns it, not simply because 'That's how Godzilla is supposed to be'. Does that mean we need to make him weaker? No! And while previous posts of mine have gone in depth that the live-action TriStar Godzilla isn't quite as frail as he seems, he's still not on the level of the OG Japanese Godzilla-and that is definitely not a strength of the movie to have made Godzilla killed by conventional weapons, even if they're high ordinance and it takes a lot of 'em

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:23 pm
Leviarex wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:11 pm
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:34 pm

I agree on both accounts-Making Godzilla more fallible can be a good thing sometimes, as the constant "UNTOUCHABLE GOD-KING OF MONSTERS" angle can be kinda dull after a while
In my (and certainly many other fans') eyes, that's just too integral a part of his character to ever be changed.
That's fair, and I'm not saying making him incredibly weak is the right angle to go, but I feel that when that makes him super overpowered and he trounces any obstacle in his way it becomes dull; He can be the king, but he's got to EARN the Crown, y'know? Like, Final Wars-I love that movie too, but let's be real, Godzilla is way too strong. Or for that matter, Godzilla Earth, whose just super strong because he's 'The King of the Monsters'-and this of course means we don't have to see him actually work to earn his crown. He just walks through Hell and kills the entire Greek God pantheon because he's 'The King of the Monsters'

Now, on their own, these stories aren't bad-I think they're fun forays, even. But when it becomes the same thing over and over again, where Godzilla just wins by default with not even a struggle, then where's the fun in it? Sure, we know Godzilla's going to win (almost always) in the end, but dang it he should at least have to put in the effort to win, not just breathe on his opponent and win without a scratch. If nothing else, seeing someone as exceptionally powerful as Godzilla get knocked down a peg is always good because it shows he's not invulnerable to everything-there are monsters out there that are as strong, if not STRONGER than he is-and that gives a sense of danger.

Heck, it's part of the reason one of my favorite scenes in Godzilla: Final wars was where Godzilla is fighting Monster X....and gets his tail kicked. Like, he gets a second wind against Monster X and then gets the poop beaten out of him. Or, heck, look at Godzilla vs Destroyah where even his famed 'Red-Spiral Ray' hits Destroyah; and does nothing. Burning Godzilla is one of THE strongest incarnations of the Big Guy (at least in terms of raw power) and he still struggled to kill Destroyah. Go even further back to the Showa series, such as in Image and look at how MechaGodzilla is able to keep him on the ropes throughout the entire movie-even with King Caesar helping Godzilla out he struggled to beat them.

In my opinion, Godzilla is King of the Monsters and the 'strongest' because he earns it, not simply because 'That's how Godzilla is supposed to be'. Does that mean we need to make him weaker? No! And while previous posts of mine have gone in depth that the live-action TriStar Godzilla isn't quite as frail as he seems, he's still not on the level of the OG Japanese Godzilla-and that is definitely not a strength of the movie to have made Godzilla killed by conventional weapons, even if they're high ordinance and it takes a lot of 'em
I more than get what you're saying and can't totally disagree. I just misread (as I often do) what you typed as saying Godzilla should (at least sometimes) be without his standard invulnerability.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I personally don’t mind Godzilla being reinvented as more vulnerable to conventional weaponry. I probably wouldn’t have him get killed by standard fighter planes, but Godzilla getting hurt by the military isn’t a dealbreaker for me. I have a bigger gripe with the lack of atomic breath. You can still make Godzilla more like an animal while letting him keep his trademark ability. In any case, the movie is bad for reasons other than the changes made to Godzilla.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Garzon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:13 am I personally don’t mind Godzilla being reinvented as more vulnerable to conventional weaponry. I probably wouldn’t have him get killed by standard fighter planes, but Godzilla getting hurt by the military isn’t a dealbreaker for me. I have a bigger gripe with the lack of atomic breath. You can still make Godzilla more like an animal while letting him keep his trademark ability. In any case, the movie is bad for reasons other than the changes made to Godzilla.
This I can agree with. TriStar Godzilla lacking two of the Japanese Godzilla's most prominent traits of invulnerability and atomic breath (or rather, having less durability and a much weaker 'breath weapon' in the form of his flammable 'Power Breath') were TERRIBLE decisions on the part of Emmerich and Devlin. Even then, they were far from some of the worst decisions in the movie, much as I may love it.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Oh yeah, it’s the anniversary of this shitstain on Godzilla’s legacy, isn’t it?

GINO kinda turned out to be a necessary evil in the end, though

Sure, it ruined Godzilla’s reputation for years, but without it we wouldn’t have Zilla, Godzilla The Series, the Millenium era, the MonsterVerse, Shin Gojira, or the kaiju renaissance we are currently in.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Pretty much this.

The film has fans and I certainly like it for its own merits, but it is a big symptom of the behavior Hollywood had towards foreign products and films at the time. At the risk of pulling the racism card, as it's more nuanced than that, Hollywood at the time had a very dismissal attitude overall towards non-American products. The USA was still riding high after 'winning' the Cold War, had no major rivals or set-backs, and there was a very strong 'We're the best' attitude that remained strong until the pre-mid 2000s where a cultural perspective started to sway the other direction. If you squint, you'll notice this sort of dismissal a lot of foreign products or IPs in the 1990s. Ever wonder why critics and most adult reviewers absolutely loathed Pokemon when it first came out?

With that in mind, it's not much of a shocker Devlin and company retooled Godzilla to function more like a 1950s American monster movie. The 'It Came from Beneath the Sea' cameo, the production duo previously having all but made a remake of 'Earth vs. the Flying Saucers' in Independence Day', and the films they mentioned during production interviews. They name dropped 'Beast from 20,000 Fathoms' multiple times during production, more so than the original Godzilla films.

I'm not saying a 1990s American Godzilla film was guaranteed to be like G'1998, but it having come out at the time it did and by the duo who headlined it, I'm not surprised in hindsight it wound up as it did.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Fri May 21, 2021 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Desghidorah wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:51 am Pretty much this.

The film has fans and I certainly like it for its own merits, but it is a big symptom of the behavior Hollywood had towards foreign products and films at the time. At the risk of pulling the racism card, as it's more nuanced than that, Hollywood at the time had a very dismissal attitude overall towards non-American products. The USA was still riding high after 'winning' the Cold War, had no major rivals or set-backs, and there was a very strong 'We're the best' attitude that remained strong until the pre-mid 2000s where a cultural perspective started to sway the other direction. If you squint, you'll notice this sort of dismissal a lot of foreign products or IPs in the 1990s. Ever wonder why critics and most adult reviewers absolutely loathed Pokemon when it first came out?

With that in mind, it's not much of a shocker Devlin and company retooled Godzilla to function more like a 1950s American monster movie. The 'It Came from Beneath the Sea' cameo, the production duo previously having all but made a remake of 'Earth vs. the Flying Saucers' in Independence Day', and the films they mentioned during production interviews. They name dropped 'Beast from 20,000 Fathoms' multiple times during production, more so than the original Godzilla films.

I'm not saying a 1990s American Godzilla film was guaranteed to be like G'1998, but it having come out at the time it did and by the duo who headlined it, I'm not surprised in hindsight it wound up as it did.
It's even simpler than that. No quasi-racism or patriotism (Emmerich isn't even American), I just don't think they saw any difference in the Godzilla films and Hollywood's '50s monster movies. SciFi Japan:
But the reason for not doing GODZILLA was obvious to Dean Devlin. "Both of us thought it was a dopey idea the first time we talked," he recounted. "When Chris came back to us, we still thought it was a dopey idea."3... "We were on our promotion tour for INDEPENDENCE DAY and we`d been talking about some other ideas that didn`t pan out," said Devlin. "We wanted to do an asteroid movie, but when we learned about DEEP IMPACT and ARMAGEDDON we backed away. And then one day in Paris I looked over and saw Roland sketching on his pad. They were Godzilla sketches. And I know when Roland starts sketching, he`s got the fever."5 "It took Dean and I a couple of years to figure out that there could be a way," Emmerich asserted.6 "Godzilla was one of the last concepts of the `50s that had never been done in modern form -- that idea of the giant monster as in TARANTULA or THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS. Why not do them again? Big Lizard eats Big Apple. I like it."7 But the retro qualities the appealed to Roland Emmerich had been a major stumbling block for Dean Devlin. "Over the course of one year, I was asked to do GODZILLA several times. Each time I said `No` -- because this was the product of a certain time period, and the qualities it possessed belonged to that time," he argued. "But finally I realized that THE WAR OF THE WORLDS was a product of its time, and yet we re-thought that and came up with INDEPENDENCE DAY. This picture could retain a certain `monster movie` feel while featuring our own, original elements."8
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Wow, they really were straight up living on another planet. They weren't even thinking about trying to outdo the Heisei movies, in their heads Godzilla only existed in the 50s.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I, for whatever reason, decided to read a few comments on a GINO clip and...

I didn’t think I could see anymore more shitty Godzilla opinions in one place than TK, but that comment section takes the cake.

Like, seriously. “This movie has more soul and uniqueness than any Godzilla movie ever”? That is like, categorically wrong on way too many levels.

Oh, and “This Godzilla is my favorite because it’s modern and realistic”. Who the fuck likes a giant monster for the damn realism??? :lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:48 pm I didn’t think I could see anymore more shitty Godzilla opinions in one place than TK,
Reddit? Twitter? Any other website? You're going to get some extremely stupid takes on these movies almost everywhere.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:07 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:48 pm I didn’t think I could see anymore more shitty Godzilla opinions in one place than TK,
Reddit? Twitter? Any other website? You're going to get some extremely stupid takes on these movies almost everywhere.
Yeah, you’re definitely right now that I think about it. Truly a tossup between Reddit and Twitter...

Until this comment section comes into the equation, that is

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:48 pm (other than MegaEvilSaurus and Vakanai, of course) :lol:
Leeeeeeeeets refrain from naming members verbatim, yeah?

Quick way to get flamebait.

RIP Evan.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Seeing this very small portion of an already niche fanbase congregate in one comment section to spew their bad tales is...kinda fascinating, honestly. It’s mostly just GINO hate in every corner of the fandom, with specks and spots of that 90’s nostalgia popping up :lol:

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:35 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:48 pm (other than MegaEvilSaurus and Vakanai, of course) :lol:
Leeeeeeeeets refrain from naming members verbatim, yeah?

Quick way to get flamebait.
Ah, my bad. Deleted. :oops:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:52 pm Seeing this very small portion of an already niche fanbase congregate in one comment section to spew their bad tales is...kinda fascinating, honestly. It’s mostly just GINO hate in every corner of the fandom, with specks and spots of that 90’s nostalgia popping up :lol:
I recall some hardcore GINO fans like that stopping in at the various Godzilla forums back in ye olden days. Not many, but a few of them a year. I remember one guy in particular, either here or at Rodan's Roost, who was contentiously adamant that GINO was the best Godzilla because, according to his serviceman uncle, it was more realistic that the military could kill a monster.

Even though there's far less vitriol today for that version of the character or its film, I think those fans just avoid the rest of the Godzilla community. But they're certainly out there.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Terasawa wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:40 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:52 pm Seeing this very small portion of an already niche fanbase congregate in one comment section to spew their bad tales is...kinda fascinating, honestly. It’s mostly just GINO hate in every corner of the fandom, with specks and spots of that 90’s nostalgia popping up :lol:
I recall some hardcore GINO fans like that stopping in at the various Godzilla forums back in ye olden days. Not many, but a few of them a year. I remember one guy in particular, either here or at Rodan's Roost, who was contentiously adamant that GINO was the best Godzilla because, according to his serviceman uncle, it was more realistic that the military could kill a monster.

Even though there's far less vitriol today for that version of the character or its film, I think those fans just avoid the rest of the Godzilla community. But they're certainly out there.
As a GINO fan, I apologize on behalf of all of us for doing that. Also, while I hate to pry or push any of my nonsense, I did come up with a rough draft of a Godzilla 1998 script re-write that's more in flavor with Godzilla: The Series and the unmade sequel. If you could spare a few minutes, please tell me what you think!
Spoiler:
GODZILLA (1998)

The Galapagos Islands are being patrolled by several major military ships as armed soldiers touch down on one of the remote islands. Portions of the island are fire-bombed via airstrike, drawing out a large unseen creature that the battleships open fire on. However, shortly after dispatching the first animal, a much larger individual appears and attacks the fleet, destroying the vessels as the remaining military withdraw from the islands as the second beast disappears into the waters.

Weeks later, The Humanitarian Environmental Analysis Team (or HEAT) consisting of Dr. Niko "Nick" Tatopoulos, Dr. Elsie Chapman, Dr Mendel Craven, Randy Hernandez, and Special Agent Monique Dupri, are sent in to investigate the sudden attacks and military presence. Their investigation reveals that some of the islands have been used to conduct nuclear tests to research the effects of radiation on wildlife. They collect skin samples from the hulls of the beached battleships, and on the audio equipment discover a bizarre audio recording; both of these samples belong to a previously unidentified species, which they theorize may have been born from the fallout.

As this happens, boats of every description along the Northeastern seaboard coast are repeatedly attacked and downed by mysterious circumstances; shortly thereafter the second creature from before makes landfall in New York, carving a path of destruction in its wake as the city is evacuated as quickly as possible. Dr Nick Niko Tatopoulous and Monique Dupri are brought back to New York at the behest of Agent Philip Roache, who needs their knowledge on the creature to try and neutralize it before more lives are lost.

The animal is later nicknamed 'Gojira' (or 'Godzilla' in the English translation) due to its resemblance to the mythical namesake as a giant, reptilian creature. Godzilla is drawn out with a massive pile of marine life and algae as bait, as well as the audio-recording they had recovered from the island. The monster is ambushed by the military, but the creatures' tough hide, speed, and strength allow it to effortlessly shrug off anything thrown its way and viciously counteract, destroying large swathes of New York during the battle. During the fight, Godzilla reveals the ability to breathe a green, napalm like blast of fire that decimates the military's vehicles.

Further skin samples garnered from the fight reveal Godzilla to have evolved from a Marine Iguana via radiation, meaning the creature that fought with the military in the Galapagos is the same creature that had come ashore in New York, with the initial assumption to why being that Godzilla, being a male, is trying to stake out new territory after having been driven from his old 'stomping grounds', and is trying to drive the humans off of his new turf. His 'atomic breath' is further theorized to be caused by the chlorophyll and proteins in its diet of algae and sea-life have a chemical reaction with the radioactive enzymes and salt in his mouth, producing the vermillion green blast of thermonuclear fire thanks to the heat and pressure.

A second attempt is made to kill Godzilla during when it is found foraging in the Hudson River for food, dodging the Navy Submarine's torpedoes and downing one of them before being shot by two torpedoes. Godzilla uses his Atomic Breath underwater, boiling the water around it to create a 'smoke screen' as he burrows away and escape once more. However, during the battle they had managed to shoot him with a special 'armor piercing' missile laced with copious amounts of tranquilizers.

Back on the island, Dr Chapman, Dr Craven, and Randy Hernandez uncover more about Godzilla's origins. They find that Godzilla was not the only 'mutant' to have been produced by the nuclear testing, and the ruins of a damaged research facility are packed with the specimens of all kinds of animals endemic to the islands, many of them heavily deformed or oversized as a result of the radiation. Chief among them are several goliath Marine Iguana skeletons ranging in size from a komodo dragon to a blue whale, each one larger and less mutated than the last as a result of the species adapting and/or evolving in tandem to the radiation in their bodies. Later on they find a 'Godzilla' carcass having washed ashore on the island, and an autopsy reveals that it was female-and pregnant, leading to the conclusion that the reason Godzilla flies into such a violent rage at the sight of humans is out of grief of losing his mate and family.

Godzilla's is discovered recuperating from the last battle within the Madison Square Garden, the US Military initially planning to launch an airstrike on his nest-this idea is turned down out of fear that Godzilla, even in his drugged and tired condition, would hear the jet engines coming and either escape or counterattack. Instead, HEAT, Roache, and a team of soldiers are deployed to plant chemical weapons to asphyxiate the monster while it is still asleep, and move to deploy their toxic payload. However, upon setting up the charges, Godzilla starts to wake up, and several members of the team are killed by the waking Godzilla as they radio in a squadron of fighters that had been brought in on standby just in case the plan fell through. As the jets raze the Madison Square Garden, the few survivors (Nick, Animal, and Monique) barely manage to escape as the Madison Square Garden is firebombed, with Godzilla inside.

Unfortunately, Godzilla survives the latest attempt on his life, and now completely enraged with pain gives chase to the remaining survivors; However, his wounds and drugged state combined with the cold temperatures of the night leave him more sluggish than usual, allowing the team one last narrow escape as they lure him out onto the Brooklyn Bridge, where he is caught within the cables and barraged with missile fire. The weight of Godzilla and damage done to the bridge via the bombardment cause it to collapse with Godzilla still entangled within the cables into the Hudson River, with the survivors celebrating the death of Godzilla.

A few months after the attack, New York is being decontaminated from the fallout of Godzilla's presence and HEAT is on their next investigation, the team-members expressing concern over the fact that Godzilla's body was never recovered from the Hudson, as well as worry that Godzilla may not have been the only mutant to have escaped the island or the military's watch. Their sonar machines promptly pick up a plethora of vocalizations, among them Godzilla's...but Godzilla's vocalizations come from two separate sources.

Elsewhere, a massive shadow looms off the coast of Tokyo....
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Just think this and move on, it's a lot healthier that way -

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Ah, my first Godzilla movie. One of my favorite movies to rewatch for all the creature mayhem.
Last edited by Anguirus on Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

This is not a good movie, but I have a damn fun time watching it nonetheless. Maybe it’s nostalgia blinding me a bit, but I can’t find it in me to dislike this movie. I certainly wouldn’t say it’s my least favorite Godzilla movie, cause again, I actually enjoy watching this one unlike some.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Godzilla isn't a masterpiece or anything but I think there was some potential from the stench of this one. The sequel sounded good from the draft we saw. So I am curious, do you guys think that if plans continued to make the sequel and expand the Tristar series that it could have been redeemed? I think it very well could have been and the draft to the sequel and the cartoon spin-off are proof of that. If any sequels were good enough people would probably forget the initial flop as a mistake but appreciate the series as a whole. I wouldn't mind a Godzilla series where the first doesn't feel like Godzilla but the other entries would make up for it as the new surviving Godzilla embodies everything about Godzilla much more than his 98 counterpart.