Talkback Thread #16: The Return of Godzilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Talkback Thread #16: The Return of Godzilla

Post by Maritonic »

Grievous wrote:
Maritonic wrote:True, but the music on him is deliberately dark. That's not the surrounding characters. I'll admit, though, the surrounding characters amplify the effects of the music and the dread it causes, as opposed to their goofy natures. But there is definitely something grim about him on his own.
Well...(in continuity) he did live though the first Godzilla attack...
& I'd say that would change anyone...most likely for the worst.
Right, but that's not what the other user and I are saying. His cynicism is understandable, watching Godzilla tear through Tokyo. But the editing having him "awaken" after Godzilla appears, the rubbing of the dragon idol with the dark flute music only to have Godzilla wake up. There was some odd stuff going on.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:Right, but that's not what the other user and I are saying. His cynicism is understandable, watching Godzilla tear through Tokyo. But the editing having him "awaken" after Godzilla appears, the rubbing of the dragon idol with the dark flute music only to have Godzilla wake up. There was some odd stuff going on.
Fair call.

I will admit most of the added footage is "Odd"
but it does make me thirsty for a Dr. Pepper...
which doesn't work for me in Australia...as we
don't have Dr. Pepper in my home town.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Burr not only lives through the original attack, remember that not only did his friend die fighting Godzilla 85 implies that it's the same Godzilla from 1956.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

miguelnuva wrote:Burr not only lives through the original attack, remember that not only did his friend die fighting Godzilla 85 implies that it's the same Godzilla from 1956.
What friend? I haven't watched King of the Monsters since the Japanese version was released on DVD/Blu-Ray, like, what 12 years ago?

I don't want to type it a third time. I'm talking about the odd cuts done to almost link Burr and Godzilla.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Burr not only lives through the original attack, remember that not only did his friend die fighting Godzilla 85 implies that it's the same Godzilla from 1956.
What friend? I haven't watched King of the Monsters since the Japanese version was released on DVD/Blu-Ray, like, what 12 years ago?

I don't want to type it a third time. I'm talking about the odd cuts done to almost link Burr and Godzilla.
In King of the Monsters, I believe Dr. Serizawa was his close personal friend. I think it was him that Martin was coming to see in the original, when everything happened.

But I definitely get what you're saying about the difference between mere dark attitudes, and a dark presentation by the language of the film itself. I was just answering the question incidentally. :)

Dang it, you guys are making me doubt myself. When we kick off that Godzilla movie marathon- which we're saving now for a celebration, when the baby comes home from the hospital- I always start with the original Gojira. But seeing as we are planning on watching the 85 cut this time around, you guys are making me wonder whether I ought to, just this once, sub in King of the Monsters instead...
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

Martin's cynicism is indeed warranted but the old man commander takes his lines pretty serious. Which makes Burr's character all the more "off putting." Martin comes off as a bad guy delighting in his minion's work. It's more than "he's traumatized by Godzilla" he's almost a embodiment of Godzilla's somber, brooding tone.
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

DragonZord13 wrote:Martin's cynicism is indeed warranted but the old man commander takes his lines pretty serious. Which makes Burr's character all the more "off putting." Martin comes off as a bad guy delighting in his minion's work. It's more than "he's traumatized by Godzilla" he's almost a embodiment of Godzilla's somber, brooding tone.
Well said.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Very interesting observations. I'll have to rewatch 1985 later today and keep them in mind. I definitely can recall some malice in Burr's lines, particularly "I hope you succeed. But no matter what happens...Godzilla will live."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think it was just an awkward attempt to make Martin seem mysterious. With all due respect to those that worked on New World’s version, none of the writers have ever written any good films. Just take a look at their IMDb credits.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

DragonZord13 wrote:Martin's cynicism is indeed warranted but the old man commander takes his lines pretty serious. Which makes Burr's character all the more "off putting." Martin comes off as a bad guy delighting in his minion's work. It's more than "he's traumatized by Godzilla" he's almost a embodiment of Godzilla's somber, brooding tone.
Bingo!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I see the point everyone is making but it seemed to me like Martin was the onlymguy who lived through the events and now this monster was back bigger and meaner than before and he had more or less gave up on stopping Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

So...question...

Does anyone here actually have a copy of the Godzilla 1985 version of this film?

Like on VHS or Laserdisc?

Did they even do a Laserdisc?

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Grievous wrote:So...question...

Does anyone here actually have a copy of the Godzilla 1985 version of this film?

I still have my VHS of GODZILLA 1985 I got for Christmas thirty years ago this December 25. It was used copy from local video store that sadly closed down about half a decade ago. Also for my birthday this year I got a used VCR from a rummage sale my mom was working at for her church. I do have the Kraken release of THE RETURN OF GODZILLA. I still prefer '85 to it. Partly due to nostalgia, and the rest due to watching it growing up I was used to certain beats being hit as I watched it. With RETURN I kept feeling a little out of it when I mentally bumped into a scene that went differently than I remembered.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

The One and Only wrote: I still have my VHS of GODZILLA 1985 I got for Christmas thirty years ago this December 25. It was used copy from local video store that sadly closed down about half a decade ago. Also for my birthday this year I got a used VCR from a rummage sale my mom was working at for her church. I do have the Kraken release of THE RETURN OF GODZILLA. I still prefer '85 to it. Partly due to nostalgia, and the rest due to watching it growing up I was used to certain beats being hit as I watched it. With RETURN I kept feeling a little out of it when I mentally bumped into a scene that went differently than I remembered.
That's a great story Broski.

:thumbsup:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Grievous wrote:So...question...

I have RedMenace's beautiful restoration of it on my GoogleDrive that I stream to my TV.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I have a... less than legal, probably, version from a certain bootleg site that used to be as close as I could get to legally buying either version. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:I have RedMenace's beautiful restoration of it on my GoogleDrive that I stream to my TV.
That sounds great.
Zarm wrote:I have a... less than legal, probably, version from a certain bootleg site that used to be as close as I could get to legally buying either version. :)
Nice...

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

I just realized my copy of "Godzilla"/"Godzilla 1985" (which is a bootleg obtained by a great company/fella) lacks the "Godzilla meets Bambi" short. I hate animal abuse but that short it a part of G history and I still remember it vaguely.
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

DragonZord13 wrote:I just realized my copy of "Godzilla"/"Godzilla 1985" (which is a bootleg obtained by a great company/fella) lacks the "Godzilla meets Bambi" short. I hate animal abuse but that short it a part of G history and I still remember it vaguely.
As a kid I found that short greatly upsetting. I still don't find it funny. It just seems like a lame attempt to be edgy.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I honestly completely forgot Bambi vs. Godzilla existed until this moment. I've forgotten about it for like fifteen years.